Deferred mainenance.

So there is a car that I am looking into. It has 98,000+ miles on it. It is a 1998 and has NEVER had the timing belt changed out. The owner is suggesting that the new buyer get that done with all other important maintenance(including the clutch). How odd is that to wait out on the timing belt and risk that? This concerns me. Should I be worried?

Just my opinion, but if an owner avoids needed maintenance, what does that tell you about the car in general? I have a three ring binder with every receipt for everything that's ever been done to my car. Again, just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch it.:confused:

Depends on what you mean by worry - if you mean should you drive it home a long distance - that would possibly be risky business. Don't know if I'd do that. Depending on where the car is find a good mechanic there and have it done or ship it home to your own mechanic. I would surley quiz Larry B about good mechanics in the area where the car is or where you live if you don't know any.

I wouldn't be worried that there is any damage to the car if it runs well. I'm sure you know the cost of all the items he's left undone - I would say you are looking at, depending on what your mechanic charges - at least 5 to 7k in deffered maintenance. The clutch alone is 2400 or more with flywheel, master and slave cylinder replacement. Then you have the 90k service and most likely combo 60k service as well, which will include the usual TB/WP/Hoses/oil cooler hoses/expansion tank most likely/steering rack most likely/maybe bearings/assorted other bushings/shocks - man a bunch could be worn out by 100k- so I'd be leaning towards the 7k figure on what you'll face in maintenance work "catch - up". You bet. So if the car is in real good cosmetic shape it may be a good buy - otherwise I might wait and keep looking.

My 2 cents.

I'm not worried about the cost. There is a shop willing to do most of it for $3,700 or so I believe including clutch, hoses, tensioner, Timing belt and Water Pump.

I could just have the compression test and leak down test down. Those things would help me feel better overall. If I get the insides test out and it passes with flying colors I don't see why not. I like the car otherwise.

Are you referring to the 98 white/tan? The ad states 90k service was done in 2006. If the TB/WP was not done, you might want to ask what exactly was done for the 90k service.

I'm not worried about the cost. There is a shop willing to do most of it for $3,700 or so I believe including clutch, hoses, tensioner, Timing belt and Water Pump.

When I see words like "most of it" and "or so" it tells me to beware. Considering the flywheel alone for that car lists for $2320 I would get a definite price AND a detailed parts list.

Regards,
LarryB

I am not debating the work that needs to be done. Whoever buys the car will have to account for that as well.

The rotors on this car felt warped and the check engine light was on. Seems strange if a true 90k maintenance was done only 8k miles ago. The engine compartment was also really dusty, it looked like that other white/tan that was posted in the "clean your car before you sell" thread.

It's definitely in pretty good cosmetic shape and it does drive really well, but those maintenance items are what ended up ultimately turning me from the purchase. But that was mostly because of my financial situation and the fact that I would have to sell my '95 first. $29k plus 7k in maintenance makes it a $36k '98 white/camel, which isn't too bad of a price.

You could probably write up an estimate of the cost of all the missing maintenance and work out a deal.

Yea, good points all the way around. I think this guy will have the car on the market for longer than he thinks.

I forgot this is a 98 and the clutch in one of those with the master and slave is over 4grand. Larry B mentioned the part for the flywheel - it's a big deal doing the clutch in the 3.2s.

From what I'm reading this sounds a bit fishy as Larry B says - "most of the work" for 3700 - better get a real list from that shop - that sounds way cheap.

The one that was "clean your car before selling" is a white/black interior.

Still might be a good deal if - but I'd be checking it out really close!

Back