DAL at Watkins Glen

Another great historic track! We have been fortunate to experience such a variety of tracks around the country. Watkins Glen has had a common thread in many of my conversations with drivers over the last couple of years... That common thread was turning race cars into junk. What I found was a wonderful 3.4 mile track with a great variety of turns and winding elevation changes. I found a place that many of the local spectators were camping, it was a beautiful view of four separate corners, likely spanning more then 2 miles. I also need to note that the track is lined with new foam barriers around many of the crash locations... it's not a guarantee of protection, but I have seen multiple cars rejoin the race after crashes that would have been written off without the foam.

We didn't have a track sponsored test day, and the little practice we did was plagued with full course yellows. With only one car at this race we decided to maximize the time by having Vaughn and Pete run the remainder of the practice, and the race.

Qualifying had rain, and since Pete was confident he could put a hot lap in less then three laps... we chose to wait and see what tires the top qualifiers were running in the touring class. Unfortunately our qualifying went to full yellow and ended after one lap... We started 22nd. Pete drove the race well and was in 15th when he got punted into the gravel by a mistake from another driver. It drew another yellow so everyone went to the pit's, the leader let him by (Thank you) to stay on the lead lap, he caught the back of the pack when the course went green. Pete wasn't the only unlucky driver to get punted... Pete retuned the favor with a different car. The nose was a little stuffed and half of our driver side fender seemed to disappear, but the car was still race worthy. We planned a one stop fuel strategy with a little help from all the yellows. Pete worked his way to 11th, and we lucked out having yet another full course yellow as we were nearly out of fuel.

Vaughn was the second driver, I have to say that we didn't expect too much because of his limited time on the track. His challenge was compounded as we couldn't get his seat forward during the driver change. Our spotter was screaming go, go, go... as the pace car was rounding the corner. we quickly latched the harness and window net, he speed off to beat the pace car before they closed the pits. He made it, but with no radio, no cool suit, a loose harness, and he could barely reach the foot pedals and steering wheel. The team had a plan to race around the track and come back in while the track was still under yellow, we would work and beat the pace car out again. We had no contact, so the team could only hope Vaughn was on the same plan. As he came around the corner he went by the pits..? the team was in another 3 minutes of suspense. The pace car came around, and this time the flashing lights were out so we knew the next lap would be green. Vaughn was with the pack, In fact right as he crossed the finish line our NSX locked up the brakes in a cloud of smoke as he almost ran into one of the Mustangs... in front of the world!... keep in mind we were still under yellow:) A few seconds after that he was on the radio. He first got the seat back just before the last pit turn-in, he then tightened his harness and raced to the pack behind the pace car. His lockup episode behind the Mustang was him tilting his helmet down while trying to locate the radio hook-up by feel... behind his head. He looked up just after the Mustang had checked-up in front of him. The radio is usually done with the aid of another crew member, and is not an easy task while your driving. When the track went green we were in the back again... behind 57 entrants. By the checkered flag Vaughn had finished a not so great 17th in class, but spectacular considering we were at one time a lap down and in the back of the pack... two separate times. This location was another race that took its toll on many of the teams, more then half of the race time was under a full course yellow.

We again learned much more from this race, made a great friendship with Pete Halsmer, and finished under our own power. We have many things to do before the next race; Installation of a new 3.2 for one of the cars, a good amount of body work, and the most important change will be a new way to adjust the seat.

DAL wants to thank all the NSX enthusiasts who have been helping us throughout the season, and thank you to our major sponsors Goodson Acura, Valvoline, American Honda, and Exedy. We dedicated our hood at Watkins Glen in honor of the NSXCA for everything this organization has done for the NSX community.
The team also wants to thank Pete Halsmer for helping us, sharing your experience and knowledge is a generous contribution to our success.
Oh and I personally want to thank Eric for magically discovering that when plugged into the (higher budget) Rolex team radio tower, we get much better pit to car radio reception... Wow what a difference, now we just have to figure out how to get one of those.

Back