Daily Driver, $5k limit?

What kind of car would be a perfect daily driver for under $5k budget limit (I know.. this price is lower than a set of HRE rims or BASCH SC)?

Thanks so much!

I'm helping my sister right now in that price range so far we've found
from the early-mid 90's Altima, Maxima, Accord, Corolla, and Camry to be the best bang for the buck. Hint: stay away from 94 Altima. I think 94 only was the year of faulty airbags- don't remember if it ever was recalled though. Vaguely remember seeing it on 60 min/Dateline awhile ago.

Depends on what you are interested in getting out of the car. If you want something cheap, sporty and easy to maintain, get an old Fox-body 5.0 Mustang. Hard to beat in bang for the buck and pretty mechanically realiable. If you want something economical, fun and cheap, look at a 92-95 Civic Hatch. If you shop carefully and are mechanically inclined, you might be able to get a Civic and drop in a B18 or B20 within that budget.

Thanks, guys! I will look around little more!

I put about 250K miles on my Diesel Mercedes, and it was as reliable as anything I ever had. They can be had for around 3K, that leaves $ for NSX mods.

Added bonus: You will get absolutely zero speeding tickets in it!

ChopsJazz,
which Mercedes series do you have?

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

Since you are up north, stay with a front wheel drive car (Honda/Toyota). Accords, Civics or CRX (depending on interior space. I prefer a 94+ Accord or 92+ Civics or 88+ CRX. Any mileage is great on them...

They are dependable cars! I currently drive my wife's 89 Accord SEi as a daily (30 miles a day) and it just turned 250k miles! Granted I just dropped a used engine last year at 240k due to a bad cylinder for under $1k installed.... and I just sold my CRX Si for $1800 to a girl in MD and it had 170K miles and was running fine....

Good luck!

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

This sounds stupid, but I bought a 4 wheel drive Mazda MPV for the daily. We have an M3 and my 93 NSX. I also have a 4x4 Nissan truck. The MPV gives us a vacation vehicle and something that has a lot of room but is still capable of taking on vacation to the Mountains offroad with the dog (no kids). The NSX does not go in the rain, and the M3 is not much of a snow car...not to mention the dog is not allowed in either!! This van has been an excellant addition!!! You can buy a 97,98 95k MPV for wholesale around 6k.

Currently, I am looking into SR20DE machined vehicle...either 91-93 Sentra SER or 95+ 200sx SER. I like compact car and they are fun to drive plus reliable. Everyone these days has civic/integra and I'd rather be different. Plus, mid-range torque on these cars are pretty nice for daily driving and autocross. Check out www.se-r.net These cars can be had for less than $5000. Oh yeah, did I mention you can do JDM engine swap and the engine costs less than $500!(but JDM engine isn't that different than USDM engine). So if you buy high mileage engine and it blows, you can replace the engine real cheap...not that high mileage engine on these cars blow much.

I like the Sentra especially the SE-R, but i have to recommened a 2nd gen, 96-98 Mazda Protege, what I just bought(GF needed a four door)- the car is GREAT, comparable to the civic and corolla but for 2k less is a buy. Has more leg room and trunk space.
If you do go for it, get at least the LX model or ES.

If it were two door, I would go for a 91 Prelude or Integra.

Thanks for your inputs, guys!

I noticed that most of you recommend Japanese cars. Are there any reliable European cars, except for the Diesel MB that was mentioned, at that price range?

Or should I just stick with Japanese cars as a daily driver?

I sold my 1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V back in August for $5,200 with 117k miles. This was my 2nd Audi (both were 5 cylinders). My first Audi had 190k miles (1988 80 Q) before I donated it and it was still running strong. I was the 2nd owner with both. Well-maintained, these cars will run well over 200k miles relatively trouble-free. With Quattro awd and heated seats, the Boston winters would be more bearable. The sister car to this is the '90/'91 Coupe quattro. Check out www.20v.org for technical information. My 2 cents.

Gene
'97 NSX-T
'99 Toyota Tacoma TRD
'03 Mini Cooper S
'96 Honda CBR 900 RR

Back