D*mn dealers and their markup

Meeyatch1 said:
They are morons!! Mitsubishi has a really fun car that they are ruining by having TERRIBLE dealer service, and TERRIBLE service from Mitsubishi Motors U.S.A. home office.

How do I know? I owned a 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII for about 3 months an 18,526 miles. The car was a blast to drive, but Mitsubishi lied through there teeth to me when I ordered the car, and voided my warranty on things they said were 'okay' when I was buying the car. So I traded the Evo in on another NSX. Mitsubishi can kiss my a$$, because I am never buying another car from them, ever!! :mad:

Best quote from my Mitsubishi Motors, U.S.A. service rep Jim Ridecki went something like this:

"Yeah, I know how we advertise this car, but advertising is different than sales. Despite the way we advertise this car, if you race it or drive it aggressively your car WILL break, and we WILL void your warranty."

**NEVER IN YOUR LIFE BUY A CAR FROM MITSUBISHI MOTORS!!**

My brother has a Mitsubishi dealership in Michigan. I wish I had known of your problems earlier, I may have been able to help. I would not have any concern buying a Mitsubishi or any other Japanese car.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the asking price of a car. It's just that, an asking price. I talked the dealer down over $17k on my Porsche.

hlweyl said:
I'm not sure where you are located but chances are the NSX you really want will be outside of your driving distance. I found mine just outside of Sarasota Florida. Get someone to look at it and get a PPI, then buy your plane ticket.

I drove mine back from Florida... 16 straight hours and I loved every second of it.

Exactly...if you need one looked at in the Midwest, please let me know. I would be more than happy to help out.

its tough to make a big investment like this without ever actually seeing the car you are interested in, but you just need to find the right person to look at it. when i bought my nsx, i was very nervous about sending a check for $43,000 for a car i'd never seen. however, i just needed to find someone that knew the NSX inside and out and was more anal than me. ken sax was the right guy for the job :), i sent the check, the title was sent back to me, i registered the car and flew out to chicago with the plates. just find the right guy to check the car out for you.

The only people who take the KBB on a NSX seriously is the damn insurance companies when they have to pay a claim...They know it is way lower then actual value..The KBB is good for most mass produced cars, but for a rare exotic such as the NSX, throw the KBB in the trash...If the NSX you discribe is not in spap ring range and has had the mojor servises done, they will get 36K for sooner or later...a good detail should help out with the swirl marks, it's hard not to have swirl marks on a 12 year old black paint job anyway...

If you find one on Prime that is not in your city, get to know the owner and history and have a PPI at an Acura dealership done on it before you fly out to buy it...Thats what I did.....so don't worry about buying the first one you see, be patient and you will find the right car for you...Good luck.

No offense, but if you're complaining about that markup, you should really see the markup for NSX's up here in Canada.....

1991 NSX, in silver, over 100 000 kms (over 64000 miles) for almost 45 000 canadian (almost 34 000 US dollars) before taxes.

And this example is one of the less expensive NSX's....

EndLeSS said:
No offense, but if you're complaining about that markup, you should really see the markup for NSX's up here in Canada.....

1991 NSX, in silver, over 100 000 kms (over 64000 miles) for almost 45 000 canadian (almost 34 000 US dollars) before taxes.

And this example is one of the less expensive NSX's....

My fiance lives in Barrie, Ontario and she was amazed to see how affordable most cars are down here in the States. That is why she is waiting to buy her Alpine White M Coupe until she moves to the States in a few months. :)

After adjusting for the currency exchange rates, most new cars sell for significantly less in Canada than in the United States. In fact, in recent years the car manufacturers have been much more stringent about not providing warranty coverage in the United States for Canadian-purchased cars, in order to discourage people from crossing the border to buy new cars.

See this article for more.

Please trust me on this one, used NSX's are more expensive in Canada than in the US.

Although I haven't been seriously enquiring into them, I have checked online US prices, US prices on this board, eBay US prices, US blue book prices vs Canadian online prices, Canadian blue book prices, Canadian prices in different provinces, and dealerships in Vancouver, for almost 2 years now, and US prices are consistently lower than in Canada.

car dealers

Damage,
Unless you have a relationship with a dealer I would have some questions about buying a high end car off a lot. I think most dealers are honest and will do thier best to make as much money as possible, hide what they can, with out outright lieing. A car like and NSX is an enthusiast's car and I am much happier knowing who was enthusiastic about it before me, plus any time a car changes hands, money is made or lost. Chances are with a dealer he will make money, that is his business. If you buy from the owner, after having it checked by a good mechanic/tech, I think you find your dollars will go farther, and you will get closer to what you want, plus you will know the history. The trade off is it takes longer.

I walked away from every car I looked at on lots when I started shopping 3 years ago. I got so frustrated I didn't buy anything! I came back to shopping this last summer, drove a couple of cars(350z Track, '93 NSX, 2000S) and decided I would get the used 350Z Track with 5K and a full warranty because it fit my budget and seemed to make sense. To me this car is sort of like a 2000S. I went to make a final offer on the 350Z and all I could think about was the '93 NSX. I could not do it, walked away from the 350Z because it feels plastic inside and feels only OK on the road.

The NSX feels like a luxury, with near super car preformance. It is comfortable, great on the road as a touring car, fast and fun on the track, solid as hell, built better than any car I have ever owned. I have been in love with the NSX since I first saw one in 1990 which was being photographed down the street from where I worked. I went through a long process to buy the one I have but I have everything I was looking for in the car. A little more power with a low-boost Comptech super charger, lowered with Eibach springs on Koni shocks, rigid bushings all around for better track feel, Brembo brakes for amazing stopping, 17" Kenesis wheels which are light and strong and allow me to put fatter tires all the way around and a short geared 6 speed tranny with a stage 2 clutch. All with 27K miles and a local tech who had done the upgrades and has become my friend and playmate at the track! Sure I paid $44K, but someone else got to sort out most of the head aches, paid for the upgrades I wanted and now I have the car of my dreams, and I am the third owner.

Long winded story to say I think it pays to wait, if you really want an NSX, the right one will show up when the time is right!

Dave

KBB is useless on exotics or novelty pieces; it will almost always severely undervalue them. That even goes for Vettes. Heck, even a recent example I saw of a 98 Chevy truck with 30k+ miles and a nice new set of wheels. KBB said it should have been very cheap, but it sold quick for around $6k over KBB.

You simply can't normally get cars like that for what the books say.

If you think that's excessive, there's a '94 black NSX with 70k miles in good condition (some dings & scratches, bolster tear, etc.) at an Acura dealership in Bakersfield, CA with a tag asking for $50k!

Back