D*mn dealers and their markup

Saw a black on black '92 NSX yesterday at a Mitsubishi dealership. It has 40k miles on it and they're asking $36k on it! I priced it out on KBB for retail is $34k for EXCELLENT condition. $30k for good. These fools wanted $36k for a car that is Good condition IMO. The paint had TERRIBLE swirl marks all over . Right on the hood there's one sweeping set of swirl marks that resembles a rainbow arch. The radio didn't pick up any channels and the plastic in the middle of the dash was peeling. The car is also parked 24/7 outdoors/uncovered. I asked about snap ring and they don't know anything about it. I told them they need to check the transmission number. Refused to even bother finding out. They wouldn't budge on the price either. :rolleyes:

Apparently the "story" is the previous owner traded it in for an Evo! WTF? Thanks to that decision by the previous owner, some dumb dealership is trying to gouge buyers. Now if the previous owner had sold it privately, a private seller would've been selling it at $30k (KBB value for EXCELLENT) Bah! Just when I finally found a black on black NSX...

Sorry for the rant...just upset I couldn't get a black nsx.

Sounds like a bad dealership to deal with. There are plenty of good black NSX's out there, just keep searching... you'll find er'.

An EVO, that's funny - The NSX will beat it on a roll for sure and equal to it in drag with driver experiences come into play. Beside, the NSX is way better looking, will last twice as long, and doesn't have the certain crowd follow it. Now, a Ferrari, I can understand, but more in line of complementing and not replacing for me.

And now the Mitsu dealer is going to try and make the most out of some non-informed people who are looking for a NSX.

Last edited:
I pulled up to a Mitsu dealership in the NSX to look at the evo. The sales guy saw me pull up. He would not even get the keyes to open the car up, let alone let me drive it. WTF is wrong with these people??

Whoa, just because a dealership is asking a ridiculous price doesn't make them a "bad dealership". If they think they can get $36K for it then they have every right to hold out for that buyer.

However I think we all know how this will play out. Go back in a month or two, reiterate your interest and what you're willing to pay. Repeat as necessary or until you buy another car. They may change their tune at some point. Maybe they'll meet your price in 2-3 months.

Since when was capitalism a bad thing?? Now Im not defending the dealership but what is the big deal about this rant???? So a dealer wants to sell the car at a higher price, and if they find someone who is willing to pay that, so be it! Sounds like your whining cause you didnt get your way, but dont blame the dealership for doing something you would also do, ie. selling a car at the highest price you can get.

CokerRat said:
Whoa, just because a dealership is asking a ridiculous price doesn't make them a "bad dealership". If they think they can get $36K for it then they have every right to hold out for that buyer.

However I think we all know how this will play out. Go back in a month or two, reiterate your interest and what you're willing to pay. Repeat as necessary or until you buy another car. They may change their tune at some point. Maybe they'll meet your price in 2-3 months.

I think it's rediculous they're asking TOO high. They're asking higher than the Excellent rated condition on KBB and the car's condition is at best, Good.

Umm... dealer usually sells at a higher price than most, this is the norm. When you sell a car, you'll usually get more from a private party than a dealer, and it works in reverse too.

I prefer the term profit than markup, markup is generally used for new cars that a dealer charges beyond MSRP. Even if a dealer sells at MSRP, or even at invoice (depending on holdbacks), the dealer will still be making profit.

Heck, maybe the dealer took the trade at a really high price. But I will almost bet that you can negotiate down the price they are asking. Dealers usually leave room to bargain in their asking price.

How often do you walk in a dealership and pay exactly what they are asking? I sure hope you don't!

KBB and any other "rating guide" is useless for the type of car that the NSX is. Compare prices against Prime and other cars for sale, and leave the "guides" at home. That said, $36k is high for a car with not great paint. But the dealer can ask whatever they want. May not sell it, but they can still price it however they want.

I wrote that they sound like a bad dealership to deal with due to the fact that when "damage" expressed his concern about the snap ring issue, which is a valid question, they didn't even bother to validate his concerns.

Now if any of you seriously wanted to buy the car and it was YOU that they blew off, I'm sure you would be humming a different tune..... not calling the guy a whiner:rolleyes:

Damage said:
I think it's rediculous they're asking TOO high. They're asking higher than the Excellent rated condition on KBB and the car's condition is at best, Good.

Considering the nature of the car (a non mass produced, hard to find hand built exotic in good condition) the blue book isn't always a good source for true market value.

Look at the FAQ for a better idea:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm

True, it's not the greatest price, but it's not totally unreasonable. I agree you should see if they come down on it. Maybe bring a fellow NSX owner along to help you haggle.

Another thing to realize about "book value" is dealers will always use different books. Blue Book value is usually high in favor of a consumer trying to get the most of what his car is worth, while NADA books will usually rate low, helping dealers assess trade in value.

Good luck!

hlweyl said:

Now if any of you seriously wanted to buy the car and it was YOU that they blew off, I'm sure you would be humming a different tune..... not calling the guy a whiner:rolleyes:

Hlweyl,
I HAVE been blown off by many a dealership. Walked right into a BMW dealership, waited just to have a stuck up person with an attitude greet me, and I turned right around and WALKED OUT!!! I went to another dealership!!! I do that with things I buy. If someone doesnt want my money I WILL TAKE IT ELSEWHERE!!!!

If someone doesnt want to part with the car for under a certain price, thats fine, I will move on. Ive seen many NSX's overpriced in autotrader being sold by private parties, does that mean that they are being unscrupulous??
And what if the dealer were selling it for 10K UNDER the market value, would he complain and pay MORE for it??

Apparently the "story" is the previous owner traded it in for an Evo! WTF? Thanks to that decision by the previous owner, some dumb dealership is trying to gouge buyers. Now if the previous owner had sold it privately, a private seller would've been selling it at $30k (KBB value for EXCELLENT) Bah! Just when I finally found a black on black NSX...

I don't think anyone would sell this car for 30K, and i think that the dealer is asking a fair price. if u think about (your KBB value for a 92 is 34k retail for ecellent) this car u said is good at best, but the miles r really low, a 92 should have about 90K on it (that 7500 miles per year.i have seen 92 with 90K plus miles and guys are asking 30K for them. I have been looking to buy a nsx for a while now,almost a year. There r alot of bad ones out there but there r alot of good one too. i think u should just take your time and find the one that right for u. by the way i did fine a really nice on.

Maybe the price is to much for u, but there is someone out there
that might think that is a great price, You must have went at it the wrong way..
i never ever bring up the price of a car untill i know this is the car i what. If the dealer knew that this is the car you intend on buying that day then i am sure they would have may a deal with u. I am sure u walk in asked "how much for that nsx outside" they just give u the asking price and u must have flipped out, omg :your selling it for what? r u kidding," is it in snap ring ", "what u don't even know what snap ring is "?. i not saying thats how it happen just taking a guess....

find the car u what then worry about the price,if the price is not right for u then move on to the next, then in a month if its not sold call back and offer again that all u can do,

sorry for the long post:

nsxchi-town said:
I don't think anyone would sell this car for 30K, and i think that the dealer is asking a fair price. if u think about (your KBB value for a 92 is 34k retail for ecellent) this car u said is good at best, but the miles r really low, a 92 should have about 90K on it (that 7500 miles per year.i have seen 92 with 90K plus miles and guys are asking 30K for them. I have been looking to buy a nsx for a while now,almost a year. There r alot of bad ones out there but there r alot of good one too. i think u should just take your time and find the one that right for u. by the way i did fine a really nice on.

that might think that is a great price, You must have went at it the wrong way..
i never ever bring up the price of a car untill i know this is the car i what. If the dealer knew that this is the car you intend on buying that day then i am sure they would have may a deal with u. I am sure u walk in asked "how much for that nsx outside" they just give u the asking price and u must have flipped out, omg :your selling it for what? r u kidding," is it in snap ring ", "what u don't even know what snap ring is "?. i not saying thats how it happen just taking a guess....

find the car u what then worry about the price,if the price is not right for u then move on to the next, then in a month if its not sold call back and offer again that all u can do,

sorry for the long post:

The KBB value I stated took into account the mileage. I didn't need to ask a price either. It was already listed in the ad.

Damage,
Understand that dealers probably dont even care about most cars that come onto there lot. Which is why they didnt know, or didnt care about the snap ring (they sell mitsubishis) They just want to get them in and out quickly, for the most money. They probably looked at the KBB and threw a several grand on top just to see if they could get it, and because its a nice sports car (not too many 92s that can still demand 30K). Case in point...I got this from a dealer website:eek:

"1997 Acura NSX T BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR 3.2L. ALUMINUM V-6 ENGINE 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION 28,312 MILES 1997 IS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE "T" VOLK RACING MODULAR WHEELS (17"&18") $57,995 (STOCK # 23236) ASK ABOUT OUR FINANCING"

Now $58K for a 97??? It better have twin turbos and a new motor like SpeedDemons!!!! They are asking WAY too much but the real joke is that you can tell they know NOTHING about NSX's cause we ALL know that they are flat out LYING when they say the 97's were the first year of the T's!!!:eek:

Chances are both these cars may end up sitting for a long time. They might be testing the waters to see if enough interest warrants the price they put it at.
If anyone is foolish enough to pay that much for this car or your 92, dont worry, that just means that you wont have them to compete for a better 92 when it does come up!

NowSeeX's said:
Damage,
Understand that dealers probably dont even care about most cars that come onto there lot. Which is why they didnt know, or didnt care about the snap ring (they sell mitsubishis) They just want to get them in and out quickly, for the most money. They probably looked at the KBB and threw a several grand on top just to see if they could get it, and because its a nice sports car (not too many 92s that can still demand 30K). Case in point...I got this from a dealer website:eek:

"1997 Acura NSX T BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR 3.2L. ALUMINUM V-6 ENGINE 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION 28,312 MILES 1997 IS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE "T" VOLK RACING MODULAR WHEELS (17"&18") $57,995 (STOCK # 23236) ASK ABOUT OUR FINANCING"

Now $58K for a 97??? It better have twin turbos and a new motor like SpeedDemons!!!! They are asking WAY too much but the real joke is that you can tell they know NOTHING about NSX's cause we ALL know that they are flat out LYING when they say the 97's were the first year of the T's!!!:eek:

Chances are both these cars may end up sitting for a long time. They might be testing the waters to see if enough interest warrants the price they put it at.
If anyone is foolish enough to pay that much for this car or your 92, dont worry, that just means that you wont have them to compete for a better 92 when it does come up!

It's just starting to get frustrating. S2000s are starting to look good now.

The dealer will charge what the market will bare. You want a older clean NSX with low miles then you will be competing with others that have that same goal. Not fully understanding the condition of this car first hand its hard to say if he is overpriced. I just bought my 91 blk/blk 13000 miles '02 wheels clean as can be and paid $37,000. Did I pay to much? MAYBE, but it was the NSX that I have been looking to find for over a year now. Had the look, low miles, and condition that was important to me. So , if i paid a 2-3 grand more than i should have i can live with that knowing I got the car i wanted and that Im sure others were looking at the same car. There are plenty of black NSXs available right now. You just have to set your limits and know what you want and find it.

here is one on www.dupontregistry.com

http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=133503&sessionkey={1DBAE9C9-D333-46B8-A134-A772FA94B1D5}

Good luck with your search.

nsxchi-town said:

sorry for the long post:
And I'M sorry you can't write your posts in English. "u" is not a word in English, and neither is "r".

RE: "1997 Acura NSX T BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR 3.2L. ALUMINUM V-6 ENGINE 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION 28,312 MILES 1997 IS THE FIRST YEAR FOR THE "T" VOLK RACING MODULAR WHEELS (17"&18") $57,995 (STOCK # 23236) ASK ABOUT OUR FINANCING"

I saw this car. Its at a specialty dealer here in NorCal. This car is priced higher than its worth. Its been sitting on the dealer floor (indoors) for at least two months. The car is in pretty rough condition (has paint work, but done poorly, Volk wheels are wrong offset, leather a little worn, scratches, swirls on paint, I could go on), but if anyone wants me to check it out, let me know.

Forums Nazi said:
And I'M sorry you can't write your posts in English. "u" is not a word in English, and neither is "r".

:D :confused: :eek: :o
never happen again ok.
r u :) now

NetViper said:
I pulled up to a Mitsu dealership in the NSX to look at the evo. The sales guy saw me pull up. He would not even get the keyes to open the car up, let alone let me drive it. WTF is wrong with these people??

They are morons!! Mitsubishi has a really fun car that they are ruining by having TERRIBLE dealer service, and TERRIBLE service from Mitsubishi Motors U.S.A. home office.

How do I know? I owned a 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII for about 3 months an 18,526 miles. The car was a blast to drive, but Mitsubishi lied through there teeth to me when I ordered the car, and voided my warranty on things they said were 'okay' when I was buying the car. So I traded the Evo in on another NSX. Mitsubishi can kiss my a$$, because I am never buying another car from them, ever!! :mad:

Best quote from my Mitsubishi Motors, U.S.A. service rep Jim Ridecki went something like this:

"Yeah, I know how we advertise this car, but advertising is different than sales. Despite the way we advertise this car, if you race it or drive it aggressively your car WILL break, and we WILL void your warranty."

**NEVER IN YOUR LIFE BUY A CAR FROM MITSUBISHI MOTORS!!**

Damage,
There is an NSX in the For Sale listings by NSXFoyoass(sp?)!! Its a 91 black on black for 28k i think....Might want to contact him and get his thoughts if your still looking:D

NowSeeX's said:
Damage,
There is an NSX in the For Sale listings by NSXFoyoass(sp?)!! Its a 91 black on black for 28k i think....Might want to contact him and get his thoughts if your still looking:D

It's not in northern california though. I prefer to be able to see it in person. The only exception is if someone sold an immaculate condition car where more than a few (longtime) members on this board can vouch for its condition.

Damage said:
It's just starting to get frustrating. S2000s are starting to look good now.

I was there just 8 days ago. I was just about to give up and settle for an S2000 (which is not a bad car, its just not an NSX), when the perfect NSX showed up for sale just 30 minutes from where I live.

Don't give up. If you really want an NSX you'll find one, or it will find you. It just takes a little time to find the right one, because there aren't a lot of them out there.

Damage said:
It's not in northern california though. I prefer to be able to see it in person. The only exception is if someone sold an immaculate condition car where more than a few (longtime) members on this board can vouch for its condition.

I'm not sure where you are located but chances are the NSX you really want will be outside of your driving distance. I found mine just outside of Sarasota Florida. Get someone to look at it and get a PPI, then buy your plane ticket.

I drove mine back from Florida... 16 straight hours and I loved every second of it.

Back