Custom Targa ?

Hey guys,
This might not be a do-it-yourself-er, but I am It looks like I am going to sell my Evo 8 and pick up an NSX. I would really like a targa, but I am in the pre '95 price range.
I am wondering if body structure wise it is possible to make a hard top 91-94 NSX a targa. And also does anyone know someone who has done this?
Thanks
~Russ

You better off getting an NSX-T. Don't ruin the original coupe.

Dont worry i got the same negativity when i asked this question like a year ago. They say just buy a targa. and i say ok give me the extra 10k lol:tongue:

nsxtcy85 said:
Dont worry i got the same negativity when i asked this question like a year ago. They say just buy a targa. and i say ok give me the extra 10k lol

Hey guys,
This might not be a do-it-yourself-er, but I am It looks like I am going to sell my 1969 Morris and pick up a Porsche 911. I would really like a turbo, but I am in the pre '74 Volkswagen Beatle price range.
I am wondering if body structure wise it is possible to make a '74 Volkswagen Beatle a Porsche 911 turbo. And also does anyone know someone who has done this?
Thanks

:biggrin:

stover954rr said:
Hey guys,
This might not be a do-it-yourself-er, but I am It looks like I am going to sell my Evo 8 and pick up an NSX. I would really like a targa, but I am in the pre '95 price range.
I am wondering if body structure wise it is possible to make a hard top 91-94 NSX a targa. And also does anyone know someone who has done this?
Thanks
~Russ

I'd agree with the 'other' sensible poster: you're better off buying an NSX-T which has had the strengthening work done and will not devalue because it has been chopped by a bodyshop.
Don't listen to the negativity. Some people don't agree with the targa thing, but then some don't believe that you should supercharge or turbo that sweet nromally aspirated engine either, or god forbid, fill the engine bay with intercoolers (very back to the future).
Each to his/her own.

Cheers,

James.

Papalazarou said:
I'd agree with the 'other' sensible poster: you're better off buying an NSX-T which has had the strengthening work done and will not devalue because it has been chopped by a bodyshop.
Don't listen to the negativity. Some people don't agree with the targa thing, but then some don't believe that you should supercharge or turbo that sweet nromally aspirated engine either, or god forbid, fill the engine bay with intercoolers (very back to the future).
Each to his/her own.

Sounds an awful lot like jealousy there James... :wink:

Meowwww! Saucer of milk maybe? Be a jolly good fellow and drink it all up!

Last time I looked putting a "smiley face" after a post meant that you were joking and was not to be taken seriously or as negativity...

But I suppose some pom’s take the "stiff upper lip" saying a bit too literally...

Papalazarou said:
Each to his/her own.

Cheers,

James.

Thanks for the constructive response James. I made the thread for the main reason to see if there is a difference in the body structure between the two models. It seems like there might be. Thanks again.
~Russ

AU_NSX said:
Hey guys,
This might not be a do-it-yourself-er, but I am It looks like I am going to sell my 1969 Morris and pick up a Porsche 911. I would really like a turbo, but I am in the pre '74 Volkswagen Beatle price range.
I am wondering if body structure wise it is possible to make a '74 Volkswagen Beatle a Porsche 911 turbo. And also does anyone know someone who has done this?
Thanks

:biggrin:

Wow, some people try too hard to be clever but just don't have it in them "smiley"

ashman said:
I think there is a targa conversion kit available at www.downforce.biz , but the price plus labor(to do it correctly) does beg the question of why not just get a targa to begin with.

Thanks for the post Ashman, I am kind of pushing around that question as well. I have a few friends that own tuning shops (Heavy Throttle, which is now Builtperformance, and PowerPlant Motorsports). And they have put me in touch with a really good body shop. At no discounted cost I found that I can save atleast $5k.

I guess my next question would be is there any mechanical benefits of buying a targa year, besides the fact that its a few years newer and there will be less general wear.

Thanks
~Russ

stover954rr said:
I made the thread for the main reason to see if there is a difference in the body structure between the two models. It seems like there might be. Thanks again.
~Russ

Well if you wanted to know that why didn't you ask that? Answer is: Yes! There are major structural differences like 100kg of extra chassis strengthing. All this information can be found in the FAQ or if you do a search!

Second question: "is there any mechanical benefits of buying a targa year, besides the fact that its a few years newer and there will be less general wear" Depends on what year you are looking at... Once again the FAQ lists everything you will want to know!

You've been a member of NSXPrime for over a year and you still don't know the basics about the car or this site???

So what if you can save $5K by doing your own T-top... You butcher a perfectly good coupe and well you will loose $20K straight away in the re-sale value!

Go for it! I did it once in high school, but we cut the roof off a four door Olds Cutlass. All you need is one of these and a few blades.

milwaukee_sawzall.jpg

AU_NSX said:
Sounds an awful lot like jealousy there James... :wink:

Meowwww! Saucer of milk maybe? Be a jolly good fellow and drink it all up!

Last time I looked putting a "smiley face" after a post meant that you were joking and was not to be taken seriously or as negativity...

But I suppose some pom’s take the "stiff upper lip" saying a bit too literally...

Yes, I really want my NSX to look like a Delorean.
Here's a smilie so you know that I'm joking :biggrin: or am I?

Cheers,

James.

stover954rr said:
At no discounted cost I found that I can save atleast $5k.
My guess is you'll lose more than the $5K you saved when you try to sell the chopped coupe.

Look around, take your time. There are bargains to be had in '95 NSX-Ts.

It's 2006, not 1996: NSX-Ts are not much more than hardtops anymore.

It should not be hard to find a nice 1995 or 1996 for under $35K. There are even some in fair condition with 100K-130K miles for under $30K.

Others have already said it, but maybe some numbers will help (and I'm presenting the absolute best-case scenario for the coupe and "good-find" scenario for the -T here):

<table border="1" style="border-collapse:collapse"><tr><th>Vehicle</th><th>Cost</th><th>Hackjob</th><th>Spent</th><th>Value</th></tr><tr><td>1991-1994 NSX</td><td>$27K</td><td>$3K</td><td>$30K</td><td style="background-color:red;color:white;font-weight:bold">$18K</td></tr><tr><td>1995-1996 NSX-T</td><td>$32K</td><td>0</td><td>$32K</td><td style="background-color:green;color:white;font-weight:bold">$32K</td></tr></table>
These days, the incremental cost to get the -T over coupe is small, it makes no sense to pursue hacking (not that it ever made sense at some point in the past). :)

Last edited:
The ooverall message seems to be the same... don't do it! In the year from the last post how much have you saved towards an NSX? Wait another year and the -T is yours!

Here's an idea... if you have a shop that will do the work for a fair price, look for a 95-96 that has some body damage... Buy it, have them fix it, and you are probably looking at the same as a chopped pre 95.

The resale thing is a big thought too. The guys ar right, good luck selling it for ANYTHING near what it cost you...

Good luck, do the right thing!

Like others said, look around and you might be able to find a steal. The '95 I used to have had only 48k miles and we purchased it for $33,000 back in 2002

Thanks for the perspectives guys. I haven't found any T's in that price range. I will just go straight for the T. I will just be patient with the search.
Thanks again for all your input.
~Russ

Back