Currently In Oahu, need some local recommendations

It's Sept. 14th and I'm currently In Oahu, HI need some local NSX'r go recommend some good local food. Chain resturants is getting a bit tiresome and food is pretty nasty. I want something like Ono's Hawaiian restaruant. Hole in the wall but good food.

Heading to North Shore tomorrow..anything up there?

thanks in advance.

Hac,

For breakfast go to:

Boots & Kimo's Homestyle Ktchn
131 Hekili St
Kailua, HI 96734-2866
Phone: (808) 263-7929
4.5 Star Rating: Recommended

Hours: Tue-Fri 7am-2pm, Sat-Sun 6:30am-2:30pm

They have the best pancakes, its prepared with a butter froth on top.

Also if you go to the Hilton Hawaiian Village, there is a restaurant (I don't remember the name) on the property towards the end that serves a great breakfast as well.

I need to call my sister for the other places she took us too.

I wish I knew of a Thai place that serves spicy green beans over rice :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mike

Kua Aina burgers in Haliewa-- and the original Shrimp Truck too (Kahuku Town).

The Willows in Honolulu for buffet style decent Hawaiian food.
California Rockin' Sushi (happy hour was dirt cheap and really good).

California Beach Rock-N-Sushi
404 Ward Avenue, Honolulu 808-597-8000

Sushi Masa 1200 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu 808-593-2007

Kua Aina Burgers-(Haleiwa Town on the North Shore) The original north shore burger restaurant, Kua Aina, is still there just as it was in the eighties.
Although it's moved from its original location, it's still right on the main drag as you crawl through Haleiwa town! Combining some of the thickest juicy beef burgers with all kinds of local and traditional fare, Kua Aina is definitely a place to stop in while you're over on Oahu's north shore. And if you're in town, there's also a Kua Aina Burger in the Ward Center in Kakaako.

Really depends on what your into if you want local style food;

Hawaiian:
Yama's Fish Market for poke, lau lau, lomi salmon, kalua pig, and haupia. They are located on 2337 Young St in Honolulu.

Local style plate lunch:
Karen's Kitchen, 614 Cooke St in Honolulu
Their menu changes daily but its all local fare.

Local Fusion: E & O Trading Co. located in ward cntr
they offer many local dishes such a fried rice and curries with a modern take.

Thai Food:
Phuket Thai, 1960 Kapiolani Blvd (located in Mcully Shopping Ctr)

Sushi- Yanagi Sushi, 762 Kapiolani Blvd Honolulu

Have a wonderful trip.

I ate at Kua Aina Burger in Ward today but I was disappointed. Everything was kind of bland and the fries were soggy.

I'm eating at Willows tonight with the family.

Another excellent buffet if you like seafood is Makino Chaya. If you like Italian I recommend Auntie Pasto's on Beretania and Pensacola. The marsala and parmesian dishes are my favorite. Their tiramisu isn't the traditional kind you may be used to but it's really good.

I'm currently In Oahu, HI need some local NSX'r go recommend some good local food. I want something like Ono's Hawaiian restaruant. Hole in the wall but good food.

For "good local food...Hole in the wall" places try:
Side Street Inn
Hakone - Buffet
Gyukaku - BBQ

For some "core" local food try:
Aiea Heights Drive Inn
Rainbow's Drive Inn
Grace's Drive Inn
Waikamilo Drive Inn

Heading to North Shore tomorrow..anything up there?

As recommended by others, try one of the shrimp trucks that line the North Shore.

Mmmmmmm - Shrimp trucks.

The Yellow Truck has a great Garlic Shrimp. There was another not a truck. It was a little orange or red building (can't remember the name - sorry) on the right side of the road (going to the North Shore) w/picnic tables. They had shrimp that tasted like Lobster. Big, fat and juicy. Yummmmmy!!!

Rainbow Drive-in, good plate lunch and loco moco.

Waiola Shave Ice

Leonard's (for malasadas)

Guys,
thank you so much for all the great recommendations. My trip so far has been just food food and more food. I think i've gain a good 10lbs just from eating alone. I'm local now...hehehe.

Giovanni's shrimp truck in North Shore was awesome, excellent portion and great crowd. People here are so freakin nice...such a culture shock compared to OC. Also went to Rainbows and today is Sunday so i did the Brunch at Sam choy's, man that was such a treat. All you can eat poke, crab legs, and made to order dessert.

thanks again guys for all the suggestions....

Back