• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Cup holder for E-Brake: NEED FEED BACK!!

FuryNSX said:
It may require a bit of thought and engineering, but one thing to consider when designing this item is how to keep the beverage verticle while still using the parking brake.

-Randy

I agree with Randy. I have the Dali one and I don't use it cause it doesn't work when the brake is up. Even more of a headache to take off and put on. Only good during long trips.

good luck!:tongue:

COMPDNSX said:
I agree with Randy. Even more of a headache to take off and put on. Only good during long trips.

good luck!:tongue:

Glad to see a big response!! YES!! I am in an engineering nightmare!! I am working on one that will work with the brake up or down. It now takes time to see about what material and manufacturing!

What I have planned will be a great feat of engineering and an ingenious design, just like I did with the sub enclosures:biggrin:

Hey guys, I'm no engineer, but in my NSX & 911, I've come up w/ a clean & inexpensive solution that has been tested by me to work effectively. I don't know why no one has designed something similar- a cupholder that would be permanent yet hidden when not in use, like most other factory cupholders. What I've done is simply purchased one of those locking adjustable cup holders that has a flat base- specifically the Jasco "junior" cupholder. It is designed to fit in low profile areas and mounted on a flat surface (it even comes w/ a pre-drilled hole in its base). So I bought one of these and simply used a short self-drilling screw to secure it inside armrest console (the picture shows it sitting on top of the armrest) as far back as I can have it. Voila, open your arm rest when you have a drink and adjust the slider to lock your drink in place. It is far back enough such that your elbow does not bump it when shifting. Here is a picture of the cupholder and you should be able to visualize what I'm talking about. I don't think this is any more awkward or obtrusive than having one like the Dali hooked on the e-brake lever, that's kinda old school and obviously not very factory looking, just my 2 cents.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=SMC&categorycode=3038&mfrpartnumber=SEJ

Last edited:

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 115
QWKSLVR said:
Hey guys, I'm no engineer, but in my NSX & 911, I've come up w/ a clean & inexpensive solution that has been tested by me to work effectively. I don't know why no one has designed something similar- a cupholder that would be permanent yet hidden when not in use, like most other factory cupholders. What I've done is simply purchased one of those locking adjustable cup holders that has a flat base- specifically the Jasco "junior" cupholder. It is designed to fit in low profile areas and mounted on a flat surface (it even comes w/ a pre-drilled hole in its base). So I bought one of these and simply used a short self-drilling screw to secure it inside armrest console (the picture shows it sitting on top of the armrest) as far back as I can have it. Voila, open your arm rest when you have a drink and adjust the slider to lock your drink in place. It is far back enough such that your elbow does not bump it when shifting. Here is a picture of the cupholder and you should be able to visualize what I'm talking about. I don't think this is any more awkward or obtrusive than having one like the Dali hooked on the e-brake lever, that's kinda old school and obviously not very factory looking, just my 2 cents.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=SMC&categorycode=3038&mfrpartnumber=SEJ

It will be hard to beat that one. And it works with E-brake up or down! LOL. According to the web site, it is not available.:frown:

Add me to the list...crurrently using one from Ultimate. It does was it's supposed to do, but more often than not, I need to pull my eyes from the road to get the cup back in. [rt side of tunnel/hump]

I can't believe so many of you drink in your NSX's. Are you streeing with your knee?

When I get into my NSX I strap in, turn off my cell phone, radio, climate if it's not needed, adjust my mirrors and look at nothing except the road ahead and what the SUV drivers are doing (or about to do).

How do you sip coffee, steer and shift with 2 hands? :confused:

Onsoku said:
Add me to the list...crurrently using one from Ultimate. It does was it's supposed to do, but more often than not, I need to pull my eyes from the road to get the cup back in. [rt side of tunnel/hump]

I saw the same defect in that design.

SOOOO, I am putting the final touches on the design, and it worked out better than I expected :eek: R&D is DONE!! (almost)

I now need to figure out the manufacturing side. Will hope to have that done by next week. Will post info as I get it.

Will be looking for who wants to pre-ordrer and pay for the "latest and greatest" NSX cup holder to be
the first on the block to have it :biggrin: :biggrin:

TURBO2GO said:
How do you sip coffee, steer and shift with 2 hands?

It's easy if you don't try to do all three things at once.

Seriously, I'd like to get something but it's gotta be 'sleek', which I am not sure can be pulled off by something hanging off the E-Brake. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, though.

unlemming said:
Seriously, I'd like to get something but it's gotta be 'sleek', which I am not sure can be pulled off by something hanging off the E-Brake. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, though.

Now, the post was labeled as E-Brake as an attention getter! But, as history has shown, I produce things above the norm!

This design will please the most fanatic enthusiast :wink:

Doing the final design, I searched the entire web looking at different designs. Ones from $0.99 to $95.00 to get ideas on what to make it look like. It seems like stainless steel will be the finish of choice. It is elegant, sleek, and will fit into every car. Plus, it can be anodized if someone wants a different color.

Stay tuned!

Z

Hal_396 said:
It will be hard to beat that one. And it works with E-brake up or down! LOL. According to the web site, it is not available.:frown:

I only got the picture from that website, however, I purchased it from my local Pep Boys (auto parts store), any major auto parts store will likely carry something similar. It cost me $6 and took about 30 secs to drilled into the base of armrest console. This also gives you a good excuse to finally remove that factory cellphone if you haven't already.

Ok, the part is done!
See the pic below, and the new thread here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80327

10555cup_holder_with_7_up-med.JPG

Last edited:
For me, I would've preferred the one where it goes over the e-brake (I never use it).

hmmmm, could you do something that presses into the coin tray? 2 locking tabs, releasable, that hold it in place. easy access, put it away when not in use

Matt_337 said:
For me, I would've preferred the one where it goes over the e-brake (I never use it).

The problem with one over the e-brake is there is not enough depth for the holder. If you made it tall enough to hold a cup proper, it would be too bulky. That is why I went for this design. It is out of the way, low profile, does not interfere with the brake or controlls, and not obtrusive to the passanger, if you have one!

Back