CTSC high boost?

I'm looking to purchase a NA2 with a CTSC, high boost kit. It also has AEM management. I drove in the car last night and was absolutely impressed with it's acceleration :eek: . One of the fastest cars I've driven in.

My concerns are:

-tuning issues
-running without cats (high boost blows them out)
-constant maintenance?
-premature engine wear? Detonation?

Just want to make sure if this is a good way to go.

Thanks in advance

-Simon

Re: Stay away from CTSC high boost?

Simon,

You are lucky, I have not yet driven a high boost CTSC yet:redface: . I can't even imagine what the extra 3psi will do. 10~15rwhp per additional psi.

Tunning issue-not an issue when you have access to one of the very best if not the best tuner for NSX here in Southern Cal (Autowave)

-Running without cats- We run the same exhuast I think. Other than potentially better chance of getting pulled over (not very likely). There is really no concern that I can think of. Taitec exhaust are good. The up side is that the GTLW sounds unreal without cats:eek:. I am running with cats due to GF and I prefer a little bit of comfort.

-Constant maintenance- zero, same as before. Just change the SC oil once every 6 months. Easy 3 minute DIY.

-premature engine wear? Detonation?- 99% of time you are driving normally, at partial throttle the motor is seeing zero boost. Just like NA car. You will not use redline often (I think you already know what I am talking about). At 5000rpm you already have access to equal or near peak power of a non sc'ed NSX at redline. I personally short shift and use upper rpm a lot less than before, even when I need to go or pass a car. I think that will offset some of the engine wear. There are NSXes that have been CTSCed since 1998. Many have seen lots of track miles.

If you are too concerned you can switch back to low boost. I wish that NSX is a NA1, so I can buy your AEM EMS if you do buy that NSX:biggrin:.

Simon,

You are lucky, I have not yet driven a high boost CTSC yet:redface: . I can't even imagine what the extra 3psi will do. 10~15rwhp per additional psi.

Tunning issue-not an issue when you have access to one of the very best if not the best tuner for NSX here in Southern Cal (Autowave)

-Running without cats- We run the same exhuast I think. Other than potentially better chance of getting pulled over (not very likely). There is really no concern that I can think of. Taitec exhaust are good. The up side is that the GTLW sounds unreal without cats:eek:. I am running with cats due to GF and I prefer a little bit of comfort.

-Constant maintenance- zero, same as before. Just change the SC oil once every 6 months. Easy 3 minute DIY.

-premature engine wear? Detonation?- 99% of time you are driving normally, at partial throttle the motor is seeing zero boost. Just like NA car. You will not use redline often (I think you already know what I am talking about). At 5000rpm you already have access to equal or near peak power of a non sc'ed NSX at redline. I personally short shift and use upper rpm a lot less than before, even when I need to go or pass a car. I think that will offset some of the engine wear. There are NSXes that have been CTSCed since 1998. Many have seen lots of track miles.

If you are too concerned you can switch back to low boost. I wish that NSX is a NA1, so I can buy your AEM EMS if you do buy that NSX:biggrin:.

Thanks for your input Jason. Lots of good info given. I believe he had it tuned to 395 rwhp.

I didn't drive the car, I was a passenger. I didn't dare ask to drive because I was afraid of making him an offer right there and then if I drove:eek:

Yeah, I bring my NA1 to Autowave and have never been dissapointed.

I prefer to have cats but with the extra boost the cats can't handle the pressure and just blow-out according to the owner. He's running some type of ti exhaust.

As a passenger, I noticed his shifts were between 5-6k rpm. He pulled it to 7k a few times but shifting at 5-6k was good enough. My neck snapped back, HARD, everytime he shifted in to the higher gear, again even at 5-6k rpm.....Fun, fun, fun!

We'll see :cool:

Curious if you test drove a NA NSX as well? I know the torque you experianced is intoxicating but if it meant worrying and giving up my jaunts to red line in every gear I know I would stay NA. And yes - I have driven a CompTech supercharged NSX. Good luck - I am sure you will love it whatever route you choose. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Having the Comptech SC on my car and my wife having a normal NA car, I would never want to give up my CTSC. Big difference in power.
Once my SC was straigtened out, the AEM EMS was installed and then tuned by Autowave, I've had no problems and happy with the performance at this point.

Last edited:

Curious if you test drove a NA NSX as well? I know the torque you experianced is intoxicating but if it meant worrying and giving up my jaunts to red line in every gear I know I would stay NA. And yes - I have driven a CompTech supercharged NSX. Good luck - I am sure you will love it whatever route you choose. Different strokes for different folks. :)

My cousin has a stock 2004 and I've driven it many times. I own an NA1 and both feel great. But this spoolin monster is one heck of ride. But I have the same worries as you so I seek opinions from this great community :smile:

If the car/owner has a history here on Prime you should definitely do your research. Also, see how long the current owner has had the car and did he do the mods?

If the car/owner has a history here on Prime you should definitely do your research. Also, see how long the current owner has had the car and did he do the mods?

Makes sense. I'll check if he's own prime. I would imagine he would be.

He's the first owner of the car and he's done all the mods himself. Says he's got a good history of receipts.

Dont waste your money on a S/C or Turbo -n20 if you run it to 5000, waste of time and money, I cant NOT run to redline,its what the car was made for. my 02. anyone agree? yuppies:eek: I am with matteni, why bother just stay n/a and never get wood or your hair blown.speaking of blown its great at redline and I dont mean your motor which wont blow if you set it up right but then you would have to cut into your starbucks time to learn how...lame. jeez I am not like this very often...sorry but its the truth.

Best Regards David

There is nothing to worry about if the car is tuned properly.

The one limitation is that to push more volume you need to spin the supercharger faster which results in a higher intake charge. This is especially an issue on the smaller 1.6L Whipple chargers used prior to the Autorotor unit.

This needs to be taken into account by the tuner during the tuning of the car.

We sell kits to set the car up here. If you have any questions on pulley selection, please let me know. We have built and tuned over a dozen "high boost" Comptech supercharger cars with stock and modified engines.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/FI_power.asp

We are currently finishing a project to build a 3.0L engine to 3.2L displacement with forced induction cams and the smaller 1.6L Whipple with water injection to mitigate the charge temps.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Do it....you know you want to.....:wink:

David and Nick,

I think you guys misunderstood. Of course you can use redline as often as you like. In my case I don't have to drive the piss out of it to get some go. I do VTEC 20~30time per day in my daily driver though. My point is you don't need to and you will find there is very little road for you to do it without potentially landing in jail. You also spend a lot less time near redline because it get up there way faster. Less time in upper RPM less wear, no?:confused:

Let me give you one example. When John/Scorp935 handed me the key to his turbo NSX with knowledge that I will use every last rev to show my appreciation. I had John (270lbs), me, and full tank of gas in his NSX. I went past 100+mph 3 times. When I told him "hand on" I am going WOT the moment the road turn straight. His ass lifted off the seats after I went wot:eek:, 270lbs man. You see, redline all the time means too much at times. Not safe on the streets.

I personally think Turbo or SC is perfectly reliable even on stock motor if you keep it under 400rwhp. Asuuming properly tuned and installed. Absolute worst case scenario, good reason to bulit the motor, crank it up for mega power. Sometimes we have to look on the bright side too:biggrin:

Which is more wear to the motor, and better potential of getting pulled over, I do short 60~130mph runs from time to time, even on the come private streets ask Vance and CDXNSX, it takes so little time, the risk is minimized, I still had plenty of room to brake:

Less time getting up and stay there:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXozbB8mJ3Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXozbB8mJ3Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

10mph headstart and see the time it takes to get up there:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qtQnlWpuSgg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qtQnlWpuSgg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Simon,

That car has so many performance goodies. A 2005 with low miles. If you're the least bit worried about the high-boost, just switch back to the standard boost. You should get it if you can afford it (heck, even if you can't afford it. :biggrin: )

Here's a photo of Simon next to the subject NSX.

northridge10_800.jpg

And here is a photo of the wheels...

northridge13_800.jpg

...Of course you can use redline as often as you like. In my case I don't have to drive the piss out of it to get some go. My point is you don't need to...

Jason's right! After my CTSC install, I found that I use about 75% throttle where I used to need WOT. Now, when necessary, I can use WOT all the way to 8000 RPM as often as I want.

^^That's the beast alright! :biggrin:

Still thinking about it Steve. It's a pretty big purchase for me so I want to just feel completely good about it.

Who owns the car? More than likely I was the one who set the car up. I would feel very comfortable purchasing this car with the high boost option that we have done. I have had no problems with stock motors at this power level. A lot of my customers have taken their cars out to the road corse and beaten the hell out of them have had no failures in this exact form.

+1 to that !

Who owns the car? More than likely I was the one who set the car up. I would feel very comfortable purchasing this car with the high boost option that we have done. I have had no problems with stock motors at this power level. A lot of my customers have taken their cars out to the road corse and beaten the hell out of them have had no failures in this exact form.

we can do water injection for ya to keep those pesky intake temps down.

used it on many turbo cars with great results. :biggrin:

His name is John and yes it was you Mike that did the install and tune. He did mention that. I think you guys did his Brembo brakes upgrade too. Glad to hear you chime in.

So you're saying your customers with the high boost kit have taken it out on the track without issues, right? Not even high heat issues?

Back