• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cruise control and Horn not working

Help.... my cruise control and horn is not working. When I press on the buttons on the steering wheel nothing happens. When I turn on the cruise control the indicator on the instrument cluster doesn't light up either.

The steering "cable reel" may be damaged or simply unplugged. Be careful as your air bag may or not be affected as well? Download a copy of the service manual and use it to see the layout of the cable reel and its wiring. It may just be the harness connector has come unplugged underneath the steering column. It's not too hard to remove the panels under the dash and locate the connector.
David

What have you done? Have you ever removed your steering wheel prior to this incident? No? then you may need to change your reel connector with the yellow harness. Did you check your fuses?

The steering "cable reel" may be damaged or simply unplugged. Be careful as your air bag may or not be affected as well? Download a copy of the service manual and use it to see the layout of the cable reel and its wiring. It may just be the harness connector has come unplugged underneath the steering column. It's not too hard to remove the panels under the dash and locate the connector.
David

NSX-Files may be right on this. If the "cable reel" was taken out for whatever reason (i.e. steering swap) and reinstalled incorrectly it can be damaged or unpluged. If it was reinstalled in correctly.....when make a U-turn it may be pulled/stress beyond its limit and snap. The cost of this item at the dealership is at or around $600.:eek:

Is SRS light ON by any chance? or A/C unit not working unless its on full blast. Seems like 'reel' issue though a/c issue may be independent.

Just got done checking it and yes the SRS light is on. As well as no horn or cruise control functions. Bummer, might have to get a new reel. Unless someone else has any other ideas?

Definitely is the cable reel.

I just ordered one from Ray Laks $257 not including shipping. Part number is 77900-SL0-A81. Not sure if this applies for all years.

Definitely is the cable reel.

I just ordered one from Ray Laks $257 not including shipping. Part number is 77900-SL0-A81. Not sure if this applies for all years.

Thanks that's exactly wat I was looking for. To the Op, did the new cable reel resolve it issue? I am having similar problems with my 99 as well. I was swapping steering wheels when this happened.

David

David,

I've looked over the service manual (PDF) and didn't see a diagram for the cable reel. Do you happen to have an excerpt or page number?

Thanks first.

Back