Corvette Z06 or NSX?

Hi, i am about to buy a new car and am trying to decide between a used corvette z06 or a nsx? I have enough to buy one or the other and wiht the sale of my current car am hoping to Twin Turbo the NSX with the 12,000 i am recieving form that sale. Anyway back to my question which one would performe better the Z06 or the NSX TT. I have only driven a Z06 and not test driven an NSX but I enjoy the looks of them and have heard great thinks about its handling.

P.S. Will 12,000 be sufficent to Twin Turbo a NSX?

This question is impossible to answer without knowing more. First question would be why are you considering the NSX? If your only real concern is performance, I'd say you should go with the Z06. There's no beating the value of a used Z06 and there is no way around the fact that the Z06 is the quicker car. You can easily get a low mileage 02 in the 30's.

As for twin turbo kits, that's a pretty rare item on the NSX. Most FI kits are superchargers. $12,000 should be enough to get you rolling with a Comptech kit I think, but the bang for the buck is REALLY slim on NSX FI kits. Depending on the kit, a FI NSX may come out slower or quicker than the Z06. I believe the Comptech generally comes out slower.

Last edited:
Jeff0181 said:
Hi, i am about to buy a new car and am trying to decide between a used corvette z06 or a nsx? I have enough to buy one or the other and wiht the sale of my current car am hoping to Twin Turbo the NSX with the 12,000 i am recieving form that sale. Anyway back to my question which one would performe better the Z06 or the NSX TT. I have only driven a Z06 and not test driven an NSX but I enjoy the looks of them and have heard great thinks about its handling.

A stock ZO6 will be able to put down the power to the ground better than a TT-NSX or even a SCed NSX, as such if you are just going for straight line accelaration then get the Z06, a Z06 can be modded for whole of a lot less $$s than a NSX.

If you are more concerned about quality, uniqueness, better ergonomics, refinement then get the NSX.

Choose the right car based on your own priorities.

Good luck,

Ken

Jeff0181 said:

Hi Jeff :

You've tried Z06, haven't you ? I've tried once as well. Be honest, Z06 is so fast (Sorry for NSX:D ). *** Amercian Muscle *** :) handling is also impresived. No doubt, Z06 is a very nice choice. In the other hand, NSX is as well as Z06. High RPM really makes you excited. :D

You know I also had headache about choosing NSX or Corvette.
I like both of these 2 cars ... :D

I finally took my baby NSX home. Shape, design, Ext. & Int.... I just love it ...

I think some of you are undercutting a turbo'd NSX. I know less than $12,000 should get you a factor x or Gerry Johnson (www.pansx.com) turbo car (GJ is single turbo, as I *believe* factor x is as well). From riding in Gerry's car, it is a beast. I know it breaks 12's in the 1/4 (I believe his best time was 11.4).

Yes, I believe a used Z06 is a good value. However, I think a used nsx is a better value. You can get an earlier NSX for less than a Z06, and for the price difference you can make it hella fast.
I was in the same exact boat as you deciding between the Z06 and the NSX. The Z06 is fast, but the interior quality is crap. It looks like a damn cavalier interior. The NSX just exudes quality. On top of that, I keep my cars for a while (I plan to be buried in the NSX). The NSX is already a classic, and will never get old. If you get the Z06, it's gonna be outdated next year by the C-6. Think about this: take a look at a 1991 corvette and compare that to a 1991 NSX. Which one is still in style? Would you want to be driving in a 1991 vette now? Hell, even the once hailed zr-1 is just an old corvette now.

The above is all true, but thats why we need to know more about his motives.

Performance wise, the NSX can never win. Take the used Z06 and add heads/cam and FI and you're now deep 11's for very little money. The LS6 can just be pushed a lot farther, and for a lot cheaper, than our already very highly engineered and efficient V6. On the NSX, breaking 12 is pretty rare from what I've seen with FI and I'm not sure how reliably duplicatable those Factor X numbers are.

I mean if I have $12k right now, are we saying that its guaranteed Im going to see 11's if I put it into FI on a 3.0L NSX? Personally, Im not so sure...

The 02 Z06, on the other hand, is at 12.1-12.3 bone stock. With drag radials, some people have even hit 11.9.

To get the kind of power to beat Z06's you are going to need a FX500 kit. That is closer to $20,000.

If you are looking for pure performance, the Z06 is the correct choice.

If you are looking for a car that does everything well, looks great and is reliable.. go for the NSX. You can add a Comptech SC for $8,000 and get one amazing machine.

A supercharged NSX will post equal time to the ZO6, if not better, especially a 9lbs unit. A turboed one will outright smoke it. Yes, there are ZO6s that can break deep into the 12's, but there are also ZO6's that posted 13s 1/4 run. Just like there are stock NSXes that will break into the 12's. In a race, give me a SCed NSX anytime.

Thanks for the replies.
As far as my motives are concerned i am looking for performance and style. I like how both the Z06 and the NSx look, however you cant go 5 minutes without seeing a Corvette drive by while NSX's are a little rarer, I think it will all come down to test driving both for me, and finding out how much it would cost me to get the performance i want out of the NSX.

Jeff0181 said:
Thanks for the replies.
As far as my motives are concerned i am looking for performance and style. I like how both the Z06 and the NSx look, however you cant go 5 minutes without seeing a Corvette drive by while NSX's are a little rarer, I think it will all come down to test driving both for me, and finding out how much it would cost me to get the performance i want out of the NSX.

FYI,

Trying to get the same performance out of the NSX when compared to a Z06 reliably will cost you a *LOT* more than 12K.

Unlike other cars like the GT2 or the 911TT, the NSX engine was never designed to be a FI engine, as such the reliability factor will *bite* you down the road.

If you have $$s to burn, then you are welcomed to go down that slippery slope, again if you are looking for a NSX to simply beat a Z06 on a straight line you are looking at the wrong car for the wrong reasons.

BTW: Do you even know how much it costs to replace a clutch on a NSX?

Ken

NSX/MR2 said:
A supercharged NSX will post equal time to the ZO6, if not better, especially a 9lbs unit. A turboed one will outright smoke it. Yes, there are ZO6s that can break deep into the 12's, but there are also ZO6's that posted 13s 1/4 run. Just like there are stock NSXes that will break into the 12's. In a race, give me a SCed NSX anytime.

LOL, this is funny, do you remember David? He no longer posts here anymore.

From what I recall he was the only NSX owner who actually went an arm and a leg trying to get his NSX to post decent 1/4 times by building up his engine, that was not a cheap undertaking back when he started.

Get a Z06 engine and do some mods on it, it will beat a SCed NSX, even a turbo'd NSX any time, and it will still do so realiably without blowing up the engine.

I guess you missed the magazine article where they compared the various aftermarket tuner cars, the Comptech SCed NSX was nowhere close to some of the other cars in the test.

I really love my NSX but I am very realistic about it's performance potential, and what it was built for, drag racing was *never* in the sights of the original builders of the NSX and it shows.

Maybe someday you will smoke the "Go Fast Track Pipe" and realize the full potential of the NSX, otherwise you are missing more than half the picture of what the car is all about, pretty sad..

Safe driving,

Ken

My best advice is to drive both! That's really the only way you will appreciate the differences.

If it's 1/4 mile times you are interested in... I'll sell you my 67 Camaro for $8000 and you will run high 11's low 12's all day;) Talk about bang for the buck.

Ken, while I agree with most of what you say, I think the Factor X FX500 would have done MUCH better than the comptech car.

Take a look at the results:
http://www.caranddriver.com/multimedia/pdf/2002/02supercars_best_run.pdf

Factor X has run 11.3 in the 1/4 @ ~120+ MPH. That puts it up there above a lot of those car and FAR above the comptech NSX. I was pretty dissapointed in comptechs car, as were they. Comptech was not happy with it either -- that was mentioned when they did the 4 cylinder shootout where their S2000 came out on top.

2slow2speed said:
LOL, this is funny, do you remember David? He no longer posts here anymore.

From what I recall he was the only NSX owner who actually went an arm and a leg trying to get his NSX to post decent 1/4 times by building up his engine, that was not a cheap undertaking back when he started.

Get a Z06 engine and do some mods on it, it will beat a SCed NSX, even a turbo'd NSX any time, and it will still do so realiably without blowing up the engine.

I guess you missed the magazine article where they compared the various aftermarket tuner cars, the Comptech SCed NSX was nowhere close to some of the other cars in the test.

I really love my NSX but I am very realistic about it's performance potential, and what it was built for, drag racing was *never* in the sights of the original builders of the NSX and it shows.

Maybe someday you will smoke the "Go Fast Track Pipe" and realize the full potential of the NSX, otherwise you are missing more than half the picture of what the car is all about, pretty sad..

Safe driving,

Ken

Magazine's numbers, most of the times, are all a bunch of big fat jokes. Sometime, it is tru, but most of the time, it is not real world numbers. Why don't you go and check our video 'gallery' before making such comment.

Yes, I realized the full potential of the NSX, yes i do. After owning 4 and raced too many cars and decided to stick with the NSX, i should know. i should know because I have seen first handed a Basch-equipped car held up a 996TT, (ask Evanderpol on this board); I should know because my 2004 (when I drove it) easily demolish a lightly tuned Supra (ask AJKS for a similar outcome from his experience); I should know because Adam Sawurati's main "go fast, crack pipe" as you put it, (lol, the word 'crack' definitely comes to mind in this situation) is a NSX; and I should know because if you do a search, a few guys in here that have the 2002-2004 models is almost cracking into the 10's. Do a search with the word "2002-2003 NSX" in it and you will see.

Screw the ZO6, that car is for the general population, anybody who can't fathom the fact that a 91 NSX will cost more than their 97-99 Corvette, and therefore, despise the NSX. In my opinion, you are driving the wrong car! Supercharge or turbocharge a NSX and a ZO6, we will see who is going to break down first? Wow, tough test! About who can be mod to go faster, that is all about money, right? Last time I check, the average NSX owner got more money to flow around than a ZO6 one. Beside, you think that Comptech car really represent the limit mod potential of the NSX? Enough said!

Last edited:
NSX/MR2 put it well. The zo6 is for the "general population". I have been a huge corvette fan since I was a little kid and have owned one years ago. This time around when it was time to spend alot more money I went with the NSX because its not a car that everyone can own. But if you decide to go with one be prepaired for alot of attention.
Good Luck

Like everyone has already mentioned, if you are all about speed buy an 86 mustang GT and put 5k into the motor. You have a very fast MUSTANG that will not stop and will NOT turn and the windshield wipers that don't work over 115 mph (too much wind drag for the wiper motor!!). The NSX is all about the feel of the car when you it a bump on an imperfect road, no cowl shake, no rattles. I had a 93 Corvette (my dad still owns) the car has 50k miles on it and has lived in the garage always....it is loosing parts on the garage floor, they just fall off!! I drove it a month ago, and the car I remember as being special felt AWFUL!!! Quality nightmare compared to the NSX. I realize the c5 is better, but I have been around this car also and you still have the same type issues. The NSX makes you understand the way it SHOULD be! Buy the NSX!

I don't know guys ,but saying a zo6 is for the "general population" is like a an F car or lambo owner calling nsx owners wanabes who can't afford what they really yearn for and that kind of useless smack ,when not tounge in cheek,dos'nt make me proud of where this thread is going.I often sit back and whatch threads like this go down the crapper but I thought I might chime in, let us take a pause and hopefully get back to reality based experience or less colorful descriptions.:rolleyes:

I agree with John.

Yes vettes are all over, but Z06's are not and they are extremely capable sports cars in all respects. They are also an incredible bang for the buck.

I wouldn't trade my NSX for one, but for 35K, you can get a used Z06 that will blow the doors off of 95% of cars on the road.

Agree

Netviper said it....

Vettes are everywhere, but the Z06 is a great value power car.
If you like exotics...get an NSX

If you want a race car.......buy an NHRA car and go fast!

At Summit Point with my '92 I could hang with a 415hp Z06 in the corners but the Z06 passed me easily in the straights. The 415hp Z06 is an incredible value and a track-ready car from the factory; performance wise, it is probably more capable than the NSX in most facets (stock v. stock).

I know,the stock ZO6 is faster than the stock NSX. However, this thread is about the mod potentials for each car (there is no limit.) Beside, the ZO6, while performs better than the NSX, or say, a 360 Modena, F355, or a Esprit TT, is a MUCH MORE, believe me, much more common and carry much less value than all those cars. Therefore, lower in the hierarchy when people who go shop for a true expensive toy. Why don't I return my NSX and go pick up a ZO6? Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm sorry, but you're already straying from the performance angle with the talk of exclusivity, etc. Everyone that posted pointed out that the NSX advantages over the Z06 are non-performance advantages, so no one will dispute exclusivity and build quality/reliability.

Also, the thread isn't about "mod potential" its about moding an NSX to keep up with a stock Z06 (which says alot right there).

If you want to go down the "mod potential" path, the picture gets even worse. Believe me, the NSX cannot win this one.

The fact is that the 3.0L and 3.2L NSX V6 engines do NOT have a lot of room left to push. You need to seriously build the engine to push big numbers (500hp+)

The LS6 in the Z06, on the other hand, is coming factory with 400+HP. Heads, cam, FI are all easy on the LS6. There are Z06 tuners that have got Z06's running into the low 10's all motor and breaking the 9's with N2O.

Look how easy it can be:

Used 02 Z06 - $35k
MTI Z07 - $20k (http://www.motorsporttech.com/z07.asp)

Total cost $55k *warrantied*, 550+ HP. Confirmed runs in the 9's (SW, No Mercy, etc.)

We just have to admit that from a pure straight line performance perspective, this is *tough* to beat. Now think about this... MTI can do this for an *AUTO*, STANDARD C5 for an extra few grand...

Last edited:
There is so much for me to say here, but i am only going to say this: "Why don't people cry when their NSX, 360, F355, or lotus get beat by the ZO6?" One simple answer: "Who cares? that's a Vette!" If i want to beat the ZO6 EASILY, I will buy a modded Mustang or an Integra, and save the NSX for the beautiful day. Now, let me go and admire my 2004 NSX. Dang, it is so beautiful that it makes me cry. Ohh, and how much it cost again? And how long it is going to last?

If you want to compare, then compare all the car that cost more than the ZO6 and perform less to be fair. Don't take it out on the NSX. Those people rather drive a truly nice car, not trying to compare if they can beat so-so and so-so....And yes, I can put so much money in the NSX that it will make an encounter with the ZO6 (modded or not) a dissapointing one for the ZO6. But who cares?

Who want to bet that one can't make the NSX break into the 9s if one wants to? Not hard!

Back