Corvette Convertible or 350Z?

I'm certainly going to keep my NSX, but I've got someone who really wants to buy my '87 Porsche 911 Turbo Look Cab, so I went and drove 2 cars today that I'm really impressed with that I may buy if my deal goes through on the Porsche: a new '04 Millenium Yellow Corvette Convertible and a new '04 350Z (Enthusiast model).

I can buy the 350Z using the VPP Nissan plan for a couple hundred under invoice, and what with the new C6 Corvette coming out this fall, can buy the Corvette for $10k off sticker. I also have the GM card that gives me an additional discount of $3500, so the total discount on the 'Vette would be $13,500, which is a hell of a deal.

The 350Z is a really nice car, but I found the clutch to be a little strange, while the Corvette certainly impressed me with its incredible amount of torque. I know a lot of people think the Corvette is somewhat of a "redneck" car (my son certainly thinks it is), but I really liked it.

What do you guys think of both of these cars?

Mike

I wouldn't want to get either car if I already had a NSX. What would be the point?

The 350 is a nice car. The interior is pretty poor and it really isn't very fast.

The vette is a nice car. MUCH faster and much more car.

I would rather get a used M3 if it were me...

I"d get the C6 in a heartbeat. In fact I was contemplating between a C5 or an NSX...all my friends were commenting on the whole redneck sports car for old folks type of stuff, but I ignored them.

Never got to test drive one, but I absolutely love the NSX. I also liked the Z, but what made me pick the NSX was what it was and what it stood for....it was kinda like the underdog, or the forgoten super car as one mag. put.

I've always rooted for the underdog....numbers don't do it justice. The mid engine layout, the sound, the interior the quality, the aluminum and etc. made the NSX special car to me...even though it was slwoer than the C5. Another big, big factor was the rarity. Okay, not quite so rare in L.A., but certainly rarer than the C5 or Z.

And the C5 is rarer than the 350Z, so I'd get the C6:D :cool:

OK guys...I'm NOT selling my NSX. I'm keeping it and have absolutely no intentions of ever selling it.

What I'm planning on doing is selling my '87 911 Porsche Turbo Look Cab to a friend of mine, and replacing it with another car.

Given that, what are your opinions of these cars I may replace it with (the Corvette and the 350Z)?

BTW, re the Corvette, I can buy a brand new 55k MSRP car for @ $41,500. A new C6 Convertible (not due until next spring or so) will probably sticker for $57-58 with NO discounts for at least a year (or more).

I'm leaning towards the Corvette, even though it will cost about $14k more than the Z.

I understood you were keeping your nsx.. i just wondered why you would get another 2-dr coupe.... I would think it would be better to get a sedan... maybe you already have one...

Anyway, i would get the vette..

NetViper,

I already have an everyday 4 door sedan...an '00 Audi A6 4.2. Great daily driver with the 300 hp and all wheel drive.

Depreciates like hell, though... :(

I would definitely get the Vette (I had one myself) - it will give you a much different experience from your NSX. I think the best thing about the Z is the exhaust note, but I'm not a fan of it's overall styling (those door handles have to go). The Vette gives you much more car if you like the hp/tq equation, and I think the C5 is a good looking car, especially the convertible.

On a separate note, how about a G35 coupe 6-speed instead of the Z? I had that one also, and in addition to kicking the crap out of the Z from a styling standpoint, it also has a back seat, much better warranty, and superior dealer service. Plus, you get the same sweet exhaust note!

Good luck!

Here's a suggestion, buy a 60's american muscle car. Maybe even something like a Cobra kit car.

The NSX gives you everything you want/need of a modern sports car. The old muscle cars give you something entirely different. They are a blast to cruise around in, parts are cheap and plentiful, and with the prices going steadily up you can consider it an investment.

I'd get a used BMW M5 and have something that performs very well but is totally different from the NSX. If I had to choose between the 350 and the vette, I would go with the 350. I say that only because a guy in my building had a C5 and it was always in for repairs.

I would have to second a G35 coupe. That would be a really nice alternative to the NSX and it is IMO much better looking than the 350Z. I drove one and found it to be really nice, though the clutch is REALLY light. (I stalled it.. yes, I am lame).

I did consider a new G35 Coupe, and guess to some degree still am.

I drove one a few weeks ago, and my local dealership had one come in a few days ago that I really liked (White with the premium package, 18" wheels, and the aerokit), but they dealer traded it the day after it came in. Nice car.

Dealers are finally offering good discounts on the Coupes now as well. Oh...and I preferred the automatic G35 Coupe I drove to the 6 speed. Like the 350Z, the clutch on the G35 is not necessarily to my liking.

Last edited:
Mike - the big advantage to getting the 6 speed versus the auto coupe is the Brembo brake kit and sport suspension. I drove both, and felt like the 6MT was definitely the way to go. I really never had a problem with the clutch after getting used to it. Shoot, I still have trouble with my NSX clutch and the shudder in 1st.

Add the aero kit to the coupe and it is stylin' and profilin'.

No...

The Nissan dealer offered me the under invoice VPP deal even though I am not an employee of Nissan (which I truly appreciate). The Infiniti dealer offered me a $2000 discount off MSRP, which I understand, is still a good deal.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Excuse my ignorance but whats VPP stand for ?
The Vehicle Purchase Program (VPP) is a great opportunity for employees of Nissan and affiliate companies,employees of Nissan Business Associates, and friends and family of Nissan employees. Because VPP customers get the VIP treatment including no-haggle pricing and an expedited sales process.

Found out last night that my dealer will sell me a 350Z Roadster under the VPP discount plan as well (approx. a $3000 discount on a Touring model he now has in stock) , so I plan on looking at it later today.

I think the car looks very nice with the top down, but a little strange with it up.

Since I'd be replacing a convertible, the 350Z Roadster (or the Millenium Yellow '04 Corvette Convertible I'm also considering) are tops on my list now.

Last edited:
I ended up picking up a new 350Z Roadster today - Red with black leather interior Touring model. Since all my other three weekend toys (NSX, 911 Turbo Look Cab, Miata) are all stick shifts, I bought an automatic. That way my son and wife could occasionally drive it. Nice car.

C5 is the way to go....

I test drove a brand new C5 6 speed at one of the AutoShow events and it's a great sports car! American Muscle! Sat inside a 350Z, a two seater only, really cheap plastic, but for the money, nothing else compares. Plus with the discounts you are getting, I wouldn't even have to think twice, just go with what you need. Since you already bought the 350Z well, it's still a nice choice, it doesn't really matter as long as the car is meeting your needs. ;)

I would buy either the G35 or the 350Z over the C5. Af far as power goes... We just installed a Vortech SC kit on a customers car. For around 6k installed we made 397whp. My point is... buy the Nissan product, add the Vortech product and you have a beast:).

How about an M3 convertible?

edit: or an ELISE!

Last edited:
Back