Conversion or just buy an '04?

If we are talking about a total repaint and the job was done right..and cost 8-10k to do then I would agree that the car will be more sellable,but sadly most repaints are'nt that good or have no detailed info on the job thus that car will be less sellable..ie you will have to constantly be negotiating downward....imo...these cars are not like other cars,the buyers are different and expectations are different.Bottom feeders excluded.

Yes, it would. It will reduce (drastically) the number of people who would consider buying a repainted car. And those who would still consider it, would only do so if it were offered at a discount compared with cars that are not repainted. (The same phenomenon occurs with a car that has been in a major accident.)

Ken is right. If you do a survey most people would rather buy a car that hasn't been repainted and even if they go ahead they would expect sustantial discounts.

I like the 02+ look but own a 93. I would never convert, repaint and think I can sell at the same price nevermind recover on conversion cost. Say today my car is worth 28k. Say the full update cost is 12k including repaint. I would be hard pressed to get 34k for it. So essentially the pre convert car is worth 28k less 6k in discounts. Hence Ken's theory on drop in value. If u buy a 02 model at 45k today. Take care of it for 3 years and put on 15,000 miles, I would bet you can still sell it for no less than 42k. So the cost of ownership from strictly "value" stand point is sustantially less than the conversion route.

Yes, it would. It will reduce (drastically) the number of people who would consider buying a repainted car. And those who would still consider it, would only do so if it were offered at a discount compared with cars that are not repainted. (The same phenomenon occurs with a car that has been in a major accident.)

Ken is right. If you do a survey most people would rather buy a car that hasn't been repainted and even if they go ahead they would expect sustantial discounts.

I like the 02+ look but own a 93. I would never convert, repaint and think I can sell at the same price nevermind recover on conversion cost. Say today my car is worth 28k. Say the full update cost is 12k including repaint. I would be hard pressed to get 34k for it. So essentially the pre convert car is worth 28k less 6k in discounts. Hence Ken's theory on drop in value. If u buy a 02 model at 45k today. Take care of it for 3 years and put on 15,000 miles, I would bet you can still sell it for no less than 42k. So the cost of ownership from strictly "value" stand point is sustantially less than the conversion route.

eesh. Did you guys read my post correctly?

You are correct. People would prefer not to buy a car that's been repainted or resprayed or whatever...

say your car is worth 28k (like stated above) You do the conversion and spend 13k, cause you want it done right. The paint is very well done. Why is there another 6k in discounts? Are you saying your car is now worth 22k?

I already established that it is impossible to recoup the cost of doing the conversion. HOWEVER, it is possible to find a buyer that appreciates the work because perhaps they wanted it done.

Geez, the way you put it, you make people like me out to be worse than the 'bottom feeders'.

Last edited:
Back