Conversion or just buy an '04?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have been drooling about owning an NSX ever since I was 18 and now going on 30. As luck would have it I'm doing quite well in the equities market and come spring I will be purchasing my first NSX.

Herein lies the problem. I love the newer look models with the bug eyes however most of them are asking from $59k and upwards which is a tad hefty so I was debating purchasing a 97-99 model and doing a conversion.

For those of you who have done this can you tell me what the overall cost would be for the conversion?

Also I know I could purchase a 91 model and do the same but I want mine to be a 6-speed but does that really matter?

Sorry if these questions sound amateurish but I'm very new here and just trying to find my footing.

Thanking you guys ahead for your help!
:smile::smile::smile:

Get a Coupe and never look back.
and then do a convertion. you will love the Stiff chassis and Lighter NSX than the BULKY t-tops and the dripping roof.

so a late Coupe would run you around 20K-24K then your convertion would cost you around 5-6K so your about 30K and

Coupe NSX $23,000

buying the parts for the 02-05 Convertion $7,000

the Joy of knowing you did that convertion yourself Priceless.

also, most of the guys when they go Super Charger or Turbo they love the 5-speed Tranny or so a few say

Last edited:
Get a Coupe and never look back.
and then do a convertion. you will love the Stiff chassis and Lighter NSX than the BULKY t-tops and the dripping roof.

so a late Coupe would run you around 20K-24K then your convertion would cost you around 5-6K so your about 30K and

Coupe NSX $23,000

buying the parts for the 02-05 Convertion $7,000

the Joy of knowing you did that convertion yourself Priceless.

also, most fo the guys when they go Super Charger or Turbo they love the 5-speed Tranny

Why your keep giving the wrong info/advice to the new comer ????
First you said 5-6K then $7000 ????
Even at 7K you still cant get all the parts that needed for the conversion, let alone labor costs and time to looking for and dealing with the bodyshop.
Btw, 02+ NSXes does not has dripping roof unless you (yourself) shopping for salvage NSXes.

onevulture, please do more search on here and I am pretty sure lots of good advices coming soon from nsxers.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have been drooling about owning an NSX ever since I was 18 and now going on 30. As luck would have it I'm doing quite well in the equities market and come spring I will be purchasing my first NSX.

Herein lies the problem. I love the newer look models with the bug eyes however most of them are asking from $59k and upwards which is a tad hefty so I was debating purchasing a 97-99 model and doing a conversion.

For those of you who have done this can you tell me what the overall cost would be for the conversion?

Also I know I could purchase a 91 model and do the same but I want mine to be a 6-speed but does that really matter?

Sorry if these questions sound amateurish but I'm very new here and just trying to find my footing.

Thanking you guys ahead for your help!
:smile::smile::smile:

The spring is pretty far away. Who knows what the market/economy will be in another 8 months?

I would opt for the 02+ done done done.

PM me if you want mine.

A converted NSX will never have the resale value of 02 >NSX. it may be done well but still will not compare to factory build. Don't do it, it is waste of money, just buy the cleanest NSX you can afford and enjoy it. BTW, you can't see the headlight when you drive!:wink:

Who says its wrong advice. My advice is just as good as yours.

and I typed "around" 5-6-7K for the parts.
thats way to much anyway. If he did it himself that is.

most of the people doing the Convertions DIY kinda guys.

most of the people doing the Convertions DIY kinda guys.

I'm a "DIY kinda" guy and I'd never try to do the conversion myself. First, how would I paint the parts to match my car. Second, I don't think I'd want to cut to headlight buckets on the car myself without the right tools. I don't think a Sawzall is the best choice to cut the frame of an NSX.

I don't know where you get the information that you pass along. But is quite entertaining to read your suggestions. :smile:

-Cheers

if i remember correct i think i payed just over 7k for my parts to do the conversion and the body shop bill was about 4k. total was around 11k
for front end conversion only not rear tail lights. hope that helps

Last edited:
I don't know where you get the information that you pass along. But is quite entertaining to read your suggestions. :smile:

-Cheers

Nicely put DocL. There are so many newer members, posting so much, that is wrong on so many threads. I'm going to PM's and getting away from giving advice in the public forums or just skipping getting involved altogether.:cool:

A converted NSX will never have the resale value of 02 >NSX. it may be done well but still will not compare to factory build. Don't do it, it is waste of money, just buy the cleanest NSX you can afford and enjoy it. BTW, you can't see the headlight when you drive!:wink:

I agree. there is something very special about the hide-away headlamps. I have receieved many complements on the fact that the headlamps are hidden.

Nicely put DocL. There are so many newer members, posting so much, that is wrong on so many threads. I'm going to PM's and getting away from giving advice in the public forums or just skipping getting involved altogether.:cool:

And what good suggestions would have to offer anyway. I wouldn't trust you to put air in my tires. :biggrin:

And what good suggestions would have to offer anyway. I wouldn't trust you to put air in my tires. :biggrin:

Atta Boy!:biggrin:

I've got your DIY right here!

old-man-no-teeth.jpg

Last edited:
Joe,have you seen the movie The hangover?:wink:

Shawn is a well-meaning enthusiast who has been asked to sit back and relax before. Really Shawn, instead of trying to be the first to reply, just let some guys with a little more experience give some advice and learn from it. You've been here a year and have posted almost 1,300 times!

Back on topic, If you like the open top and the six-speed, then go ahead and buy the '02+ and skip the headaches of ordering parts, finding a body shop with NSX experience, retrofitting a gearbox, etc. To properly do the '02 conversion you are looking at door sills, door panels, rear valance and rear lights as well. While you're doing all those parts and are trying to color-match, you may as well paint the whole car. Now you're talking about real money. It cost me about $10K to paint mine (parts and labor, no '02 conversion).

Absolutely agree with this. You can get a nice 02+ for around 45-48k. Don't waste your time with the conversion. Resale value is a key consideration. However there is something about the classic look which ultimately took my decision to an 93 coupe.

For an 02+. Get one of the bright colors. Long Beach Pearl (blue) would be my top choice. Take your time an find a clean car. You will appreciate the whole experience and enjoy the car that much more.

Depends on what you want in the future. If resale is a concern then I'd say 02+ and if you're "happy" with everything the 02 has to offer. I don't like the stock side skirts, I don't care about the 6 speed transmission but I've never had one a car with one, the rear lights do nothing for me, and I don't like the non ducted hood. I couldn't afford a 02+ either so my situation is different.

Over the years I've got accumulated a df nsx-r hood, df bumper, stacy sides, stacy spats, 02 lights, and other goodies...

I don't care about resale because I don't care about ever selling my car because I won't be able to afford anything nicer that gives the same performance and offer the same anything I'm really looking for.

Stephen

A converted NSX will never have the resale value of 02 >NSX. it may be done well but still will not compare to factory build. Don't do it, it is waste of money, just buy the cleanest NSX you can afford and enjoy it.
iagree.gif

Who says its wrong advice.
I do.

My advice is just as good as yours.
No, it isn't.

If you like the open top and the six-speed, then go ahead and buy the '02+ and skip the headaches of ordering parts, finding a body shop with NSX experience, retrofitting a gearbox, etc. To properly do the '02 conversion you are looking at door sills, door panels, rear valance and rear lights as well. While you're doing all those parts and are trying to color-match, you may as well paint the whole car. Now you're talking about real money. It cost me about $10K to paint mine (parts and labor, no '02 conversion).
Which means you can avoid all the hassles of repainting, as well as the very real issues of color matching and resale value, by buying the '02-05 rather than paying for a risky conversion for which you will never recoup what you paid (and your car may actually be lower in value due to the repaint).

It's one thing if you already own a car and find yourself with a need to repaint it. It's quite another if you're buying a car with the intention to spend a lot more money repainting/converting it, when your money would be better off spent on a car which doesn't need it.

Which means you can avoid all the hassles of repainting, as well as the very real issues of color matching and resale value, by buying the '02-05 rather than paying for a risky conversion for which you will never recoup what you paid (and your car may actually be lower in value due to the repaint).

It's one thing if you already own a car and find yourself with a need to repaint it. It's quite another if you're buying a car with the intention to spend a lot more money repainting/converting it, when your money would be better off spent on a car which doesn't need it.

I dont think it would lower the value of the car. Maybe in the eyes of a 'purist', it turn them off from it. However, I'm sure one can find someone else that is in the market for a coupe with the conversion already done. Heck, I was one of those people. Granted One will not recoupe the entire value of the conversion, an enthusiast who that recognizes decent work might pay the little bit extra on top of the value of the car.

*shrug*

if i remember correct i think i payed just over 7k for my parts to do the conversion and the body shop bill was about 4k. total was around 11k
for front end conversion only not rear tail lights. hope that helps

Ouch! I had no idea it cost that much. I never tried to do research on it cause I like my flip up lights. Looking at the price of doing just the front end I would try to find a 02 for sure. I saw a few people that love the flip ups like myself. I think the car looks more aerodynamic with them. When they are up.......thats another story tho lol.

Last edited:
Been there done that...

Started with my ex-91 Berlina Black that I converted to 2002 look for approx. $10k including paint and installation. Add that cost to finding a nice early car +/- $30k with low miles and you are up to $40k minimum. Don't forget that any early car you get will have stock rims and with the +2002 conversion you'll need new wheels and tires to make it look right = $13k all in.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101884

So...quickly you are up to near 2002-2003 pricing. I sold my 91 and bought the 2002 Imola Orange Pearl which I've since sold.

Now I'm looking and may have found another nice early model NA1 NSX...funny how things turn out.

Whatever NSX you get make sure to take your time and decide what it is you want first and don't let anyone deter you.

Jetpilot

Last edited:
I dont think it would lower the value of the car.
Yes, it would. It will reduce (drastically) the number of people who would consider buying a repainted car. And those who would still consider it, would only do so if it were offered at a discount compared with cars that are not repainted. (The same phenomenon occurs with a car that has been in a major accident.)

lol i dont know how everyone thinks it will hurt the value of your car.
Unless you are trying to flip it right away then maybe yes you will not get your money back in parts, but unless your car has under 10k miles
the value of the car will remain around the same. Its never going to be worth more than an 02. Like in my case thats saying my car would be more than a car that is 8yrs newer. I dont car what kind of car you have that will not happen. Im sure the car fax on my car is clean. Just because the car has been repainted does not mean it will show up on any carfax. Ive worked in the car industry for over 20yrs and its more about mileage and overall condition of the car that makes up its value. I agree in 20-30 yrs when there are only a few Nsx out there it may make a difference but unless you have super low miles i dont think it would matter. Just MY Opinion

Back