Considering Nissan Altima as Daily Driver

They are very nice if you get the V6. Essentially a Maxima at the Altima price.

I like the refreshed interiors for 2005. However, expect medicore gas mileage with the V-6. IMHO, The new accords are more refined.

give us more info and then we can give some recs. How far is your commute, how long, what else do you use the car for, is mileage important, etc etc.

It strikes close to home.
Can't really give too many details.
Anyway it's just when you lease a car in a state such as VA, you have to pay property taxes on the end of the lease, and Nissan dealers don't always disclose that. You also have to wait until Nissan has paid the tax (they bill you later) before you get your county registration decal.

Anyway if you're considering one of the current redesigned ones, they seem to offer a lot for the price in ways of ergonomics. Even the very base model has a very nice cloth interior. The top of the line model was available with xenons and a rather strong V6. I can't think of any negatives right off hand.

I think a 4cyl Altimas are a great DD cars. I cannot think of anything negative right now but you could check out the altima forums and find answers there.

I own a '99 max and I check out maxima.org for answers.. I love my nissan.!

NsXMas said:
Why not a Honda Accord?
While I can't speak for his reasons, I can give you one of my own. The Honda Accord (and also the Toyota Camry) are great cars, widely regarded as the best midsize sedans around. The result of that reputation is that they hold their resale value extremely well - and that means that you aren't going to save all that much by buying a late model used car, compared with getting a new one.

Other competing cars, including the Altima, don't have quite the same reputation. As a result, not only is their purchase price usually lower, but their resale value declines more rapidly on a percentage basis. So other cars will be a better bargain as they age. If you don't want to spend a lot of money and you're willing to buy used, you can often get a better deal on another used car than on a used Honda.

My preference, though, is to buy Honda/Acura products new, and drive them for years and years and years (knowing, though, that if I decide to sell, I'll still get top dollar)...

NsXMas said:
Totally agree Ken. That's why we have 2 Honda Accords :)

Out of my 4 cars, 3 are Hondas/Acuras! :D
I have 3 out of 3. Count the lawn mower and snow blower, and I have five Hondas in my garage! :D

We went through this about a year ago looking for a DD for my wife. She wanted a midsize, automatic 4 door. We gave ourselves a price range of $6-10K. Drove a couple of Accords and Camry's and came away underwhelmed. Sure - they are great cars, but they both seemed like appliances. They have made the car so bland that it has no passion. Then we test drove a Maxima. Totally different. Just as nice, but this one came with an attitude.

In our price range we thought we'd end up with a 96-97, but we actually found a great deal on a 2000 that had just turned over 100K. Paid $8K for it a year ago. Great car - Handles well, cruises comfortably, and it knows how to get out of it's own way when you stomp the loud pedal.

Dave Hardy said:
In our price range we thought we'd end up with a 96-97, but we actually found a great deal on a 2000 that had just turned over 100K. Paid $8K for it a year ago. Great car - Handles well, cruises comfortably, and it knows how to get out of it's own way when you stomp the loud pedal.
I have to agree Nissan's have more power. But you pay the performance in terms of reliability.

I had a Nissan 240 SX SE coupe. A great car, but lots of little problems. One big problem was the Heads Up Display unit. It started to fail and it cost $1000 to fix :eek:

I also had a Nissan king cab. This thing started to fall apart at 180k miles, even though I religiously kept it well maintained. My daily driver - a 90 Accord, is solid as the day I first drove it. I love the thing to death.

There is a reason Honda's are #1 in my book.

NsXMas said:
I have to agree Nissan's have more power. But you pay the performance in terms of reliability.

I had a Nissan 240 SX SE coupe. A great car, but lots of little problems. One big problem was the Heads Up Display unit. It started to fail and it cost $1000 to fix :eek:

I also had a Nissan king cab. This thing started to fall apart at 180k miles, even though I religiously kept it well maintained. My daily driver - a 90 Accord, is solid as the day I first drove it. I love the thing to death.

There is a reason Honda's are #1 in my book.

Well, in one year and 15K miles we have put nothing into it but Gas and Oil. I checked around before we bought and the conclusion was that the Nissan V6 is a solid 250K mile engine. We shall see, since we typically keep cars a long time (Her last car was a '94 Civic bought in '96 with 66K on the clock. We sold it at 165K in '03).

Dave Hardy said:
Well, in one year and 15K miles we have put nothing into it but Gas and Oil. I checked around before we bought and the conclusion was that the Nissan V6 is a solid 250K mile engine. We shall see, since we typically keep cars a long time (Her last car was a '94 Civic bought in '96 with 66K on the clock. We sold it at 165K in '03).
I hope you have great luck with it. I held my 240 SX for 4 years, and the King cab for 5 years. :)

Go to a nissan forum such as maxima.org and ask for opinions on Hondas and Acuras. They will start a riot. They have nicknamed Honda into a Honduh.

minsbang said:
Go to a nissan forum such as maxima.org and ask for opinions on Hondas and Acuras. They will start a riot. They have nicknamed Honda into a Honduh.
I guess that's because Honda sells twice as many cars as Nissan, why Honda consistently has higher reliability ratings in independent surveys such as by Consumer Reports and J. D. Power, and why Honda has higher resale values.

At least Honda didn't name a car the MORON-O. :D

Back