considering buying an infrequently driven '91 - advices?

Hi all,

Considering purchasing a low mileage 1991 NSX (sub-30,000 miles). It's hasn't been driven or registered in California for the last 3 years. Advices?
I am anticipating of the typical hoses, fluids will have to be done. Any other details I should be concerned about? I have read the wiki already.

Thanks you all!

First, can the current owner provide any maintenance records of any sort? No records can be frustrating. They can more or less tell you what the car does or does not need now.

The only information he has given me is he had a "recent service" which involved oil and plug change. I am under the impression that none of the hoses were updated.

Sounds like it could be in good condition body and interior wise with such low miles, but may need a lot of deferred maintenance done. You should have it inspected to see how much maintenance it needs. If it hasn't been maintained, it won't be cheap to take care of everything. For example replacing all the coolant hoses maybe like $350 in parts, but it's huge amount of labor if you pay someone to do it. I got a quote of $1800 for parts plus labor.

Last edited:
Also, a car that age with that low of mileage will likely need a new master/slave cylinder, timing belt and water pump, cam plugs and any other rubber and seals hoses replaced due to age and lack of use. The cost to bring the maintenance up to date could exceed $5K. So, as said before, maintenance records will be critical to ascertain what the car needs. Also, check the NSXPrime wiki for more information on what to look for. All of that said, if the car can be purchased at a reasonable price, your not likely to lose any money on that car even with the additional maintenance update cost. It sounds like a great find. If you buy it, take that car for some long drives to make up for lost time. It'll be good for the car and for you.

Thank you so much for the advice. I will discuss with the seller using these information provided here - and I agree with you, the car will need to be driven to make up for lost time :)

AC will need to be updated to newer refrigerant and sorted out .....need to clear it of any rodents/nests

like Lostbuckeye said, getting it up to date with maintenance can easily cost $4,000 to $5,000 or more.

i've bought two NSX's that weren't maintained, and it wasn't cheap. my '96 cost around $4,000 in all. my 2002 almost $7,000. in both cases i had the price lowered accordingly to offset the additional cost.

even though the NSX is a Honda, the service money adds up quickly...

Buy it! Everything can be replaced and/or maintained. It isn't often you find a car like that.. In fact, any car you buy will need maintenance. This may need a little bit more.
The A/C doesn't need updating if working. (Refrigerant) R12 is actually better than R134a.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boy I'm getting forgetful ,,thanks warren for clarifying my ac drivel.

If it drives well and is in good condition buy it! I love low mileage cars.

Don't be afraid to throw 5/6 grand in maintenance after your purchase. It is piece of mind and you'll enjoy many years of piling miles on her. Share some pics when you get it.

I did the same thing. Bought my 91 with 19,800 miles. Larry B did complete maintenance:

Timing Belt
Hoses
Valve Adjustment
Engine Compartment Refresh
AC Update to 134 (only because there was no cold air)

In addition the circuit boards were fried in the SRS and AC Control Unit. I sent the SRS module to Brian K and Science of Speed has a an AC core exchange program. I also needed a pump for the ABS unit.

I also just did the following:

Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder
New Brakes and Rotors
Paint to correct some issues
Wheel restore - the Blitz racing wheels had road rash and looked bad.

Still to be done:

Window regulators
Camshaft Gasket

If the car sat for long periods the car may have been a home to a variety of pests. I had three nests in my car. They were in the passenger side bass enclosure, cabin filter and air filter.

$5-$6,000 may be light but you will probably be close to $7500. I may be at $10,000 including the wheels (they were a fortune), however, I would not wait to get the work done since driving the car extensively could do damage. If your car is anything like mine you will be very happy once you get this all done. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d0ce425e/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

- - - Updated - - -

The other thing I did was to get a 3M invisible bra kit installed. I also had the windows retinted.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/bf2ccefa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

- - - Updated - - -

I must be having a senior moment. I also put a Science of Speed console in the car, which I had wrapped in carbon fiber. I also installed a Type-R shift boot.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/bf2ccefa/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

You guys have been very helpful! I was expecting lots of these updates will be needed, but very helpful to hear someone actually gave me a list and estimated cost of refreshing the car!

Will chat with the owner and see what comes of it. Thanks again!

Back