• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering a new car

My wife has been on me to sell my Duramax CrewCab (not likely to happen) and get a vehicle we can use for the family (she says the truck is too loud and impractical). She is thinking SUV, but I would rather have something practical, but also with more Sport than Utility that is so common in most SUV's. I also want to have something different than most people (like the NSX!) so I am leaning towards something like this:
06.mercedesbenz.e55.wagon.cornering.500.jpg

100_0030.jpg

Faster and better handling than the sedan, and more practical than many SUV's.
What do you guys think? They are changing the engine to a 500+ HP N/A AMG designed V8 for next year, but the torque will be down from about 516 to less than 470 I hear. On a heavier vehicle I like the idea of more torque (plus they may be way out of my price range if the even decide to make the wagon again in 07, it is a built to order option only and they are not supposed to be sold off the showroom floor).
PS- My wife has an 05 Odyssey Touring R&N, so I thought we has practical covered, but she disagrees!

jeffrey said:
How about one of these? :biggrin:

I mean the car...not the girl! :biggrin:

Too "Hood" for me. I liked the SRT8 version, but even it has lost it's appeal from seeing one every week on Unique Whips getting tricked out. Also, not third row for kiddies, which is part of the practical argument.

Aero said:
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S is your answer. :biggrin:

Too much to buy, too much to keep running, do not like the styling (I actually like the VW copy better on the outside and had considered the V10 TDI they offer) and no room inside behind the second row. It's like the X5 4.8is, not as much room as most cars for actual cargo. But I appreciate both suggestions, keep them coming. Maybe someone will hit upon something I have not considered, or tell me a reason to avoid the E55 AMG.

Now that is sweet! Are they going to Bring that over? I do not think they did on the last gen (sedans only for the states).

Not crazy about the new Audi grilles, but overall a very nice looking car!

Shumdit said:
Too "Hood" for me. I liked the SRT8 version, but even it has lost it's appeal from seeing one every week on Unique Whips getting tricked out. Also, not third row for kiddies, which is part of the practical argument.

Ugh Unique stuff is (no barf icon). Can't argue about the no 3rd row...

The Audi would get my vote too. You can always settle for a A6 with the 4.2L V8. It ain't too shabby:wink:

NSXLuvr said:
The Audi would get my vote too. You can always settle for a A6 with the 4.2L V8. It ain't too shabby:wink:

I guess I would rather have more sport than the 4.2. That is why I am not really considering the E500 wagon (except possibly one with the AMG package).

I also considered the Audi S6. However I was looking at the 2002'ish w/ 340 hp V8.

Now this car is pure AWESOME:

2006 Volvo V70 R
Five-cylinder turbocharged engine
0 to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds (manual)
295 ft./lbs. @ 1950 - 4500 rpm
Double overhead camshafts, 20 valves
Dual Intercoolers
Three-way catalytic converter with Lambda sensor

it's like a station wagon version of the s60 R. The S60R was kickin' GM and Viper ass on the race track at the Denver GP last year, running 4th behind 3 porsches.

For us Volvo is out, as our local dealer is full of pricks. We were looking at them when we bought out Saab Aero Wagon in 00, and we probably would have bought it except for the shitty attitude they had. I hope the place burns to the ground.

What me, bitter? Nah:biggrin:

The MDX is more Utility than sport.

What about the 550i wagon. 360HP & BMW handing. I always prefer BMW to MB. I am sure you could upgrade the Suspension to make it handle like a M3(atleast close to it).

I'm not that sure about the M3 like handling with the MII-suspension but they look good with M-Styling packet and some nice rims and it definitely got some 'oomph'.

Friends 545 (550 wasn't out yet when he bought it :()
ResizeofIMG3795a43f0.jpg

ResizeofIMG380153fae.jpg

ResizeofIMG379269d00.jpg

NSXLuvr said:
The MDX is more Utility than sport.

What about the 550i wagon. 360HP & BMW handing. I always prefer BMW to MB. I am sure you could upgrade the Suspension to make it handle like a M3(atleast close to it).

Another good possibility. The only downside is we live 10 minutes from BMW manufacturing so they are running around here like Ferrari's in the OC!

Last edited:
Hugh said:
That's easy. It's a German car.

b33131-land-rover-range-rover-sport.jpg
That is nice also, and that would be the color I would like, but the wife said NO on that color. Still a possibility. The only thing that scares me on those is the reliability factor.

Shumdit said:
That is nice also, and that would be the color I would like, but the wife said NO on that color. Still a possibility. The only thing that scares me on those is the reliability factor.
You can absolutely count on them being unreliable!!!!:biggrin:

Back