Comptech on AEM..

TURBO2GO said:
More questions Mike:

1) can we run the AEM on the factory pump and injectors as long as we are on low boost? I am asking because it seems if we did that the only swap needed for emissions and check engine lights/service functionality would be to re-plug the factory ECU back in.

owThe way comptech fuels there Supercharger is to use stock injectors and raise the fuel pressure to over 100psi when in boost this is how they get the extra fuel into the engine. when you do this it is hard on two things one the fuel injectors. they are having to work a lot harder because of the added pressure on them. 2. hard on the factory fuel pump because the way comptech gets the factory pump to pump a 100psi of fuel pressure is they put a voltage doubler on the pump. so now the pump is running at 24 volts. which is hard on it. You may ask why does comptech do it this way? It is beacuse comptech has no other option then to do it this way to try and keep the kit smog compliant.
So the answer to your question is no you will have to switch the fuel pump and fuel injectors. It does not matter if you running 6psi or 40psi of boost this is the proper way of doing things
2) H much is that serial guage? is this something you permanently mount in the car?
I want to say its around $350 and it is something that you will mount in the car like any other gauge.
3) Do you know (I have to find this out myself) if in MA the state inspection has anything to do with the ECU? I know we have a sniffer pipe and the car also goes on something like a dyno... the engine must stay clean at speed. But I don't think I have ever seen anyone plug anything into the car... that might be a CA thing only.
It may be but cali they plug into the computer

Whats involved in a good claibration? You need a dyno, an AF meter, a laptop and someone that knows what he is doing, right?

Doesn't it make sense to fly in a good tech if there is none around and have him do what he does at a shop? have you done this dynomike?

dynomike said:
Is there an aftermarket ECU that will allow the car to pass?

The HKS F-CON V-PRO will pass on OBD2 cars, as well as retain all the functions of an OEM NSX.

will it pass california emissions. Because they have to plug into the obd2 port I find it hard to belive that there is no engine codes in the stock computer seeing how the stock computer is not fireing injectors and coils because the computer will throw a code if these are not seen. Any time they the computer has a code in it, it is a atomatic fail
I do belive you can make it pass the sniffer test, but not with pluging into the obd2 port as Cali and some other states do.
My obd1 AEM cars pass just fine on smog checks beacuse the cars burn just as clean on the AEM as they do on the stock computer. I can do this on the obd2 cars as well but they will fail becasue the smog station has to hook up to the obd2 port

Factor X Motorsports said:
The HKS F-CON V-PRO will pass on OBD2 cars, as well as retain all the functions of an OEM NSX.

I was just starting to research this. There has to be a way to keep the factory ECU and be able to tune the A/F/I by modifying the signals with a piggyback unit like Comptech is doing but still be smart enough to allow use of other injectors, pumps, etc.

I was starting to look at the V-Pro. Have you guys at FactorX worked a lot with this unit? I gotta say I had one of the first PFC-Fcon units and it was in my opinion kind of a POS. Even the harnesses didn't fit. I had to fix that stuff before installing it. Just like I had to with many HKS parts I had bought. I was not impressed. I hope over the years (this was a decade ago) they have improved.

dynomike said:
Any time they the computer has a code in it, it is a atomatic fail
I do belive you can make it pass the sniffer test, but not with pluging into the obd2 port as Cali and some other states do.

Include New York State in that.

Factor X:

Will the HKS F-CON V-PRO work/pass with the OBDII plug in test?

I might be able to help without giving any trade secrets away.

When Factor X tuned my car there was a lot of time spent in the timing area concerning what the stock ECU would "see" as timing. They worked about 10 driving hours and 1000's of different parameters to get rid of the CEL. I can not emphasize enough how hard it is to find and program around all the parameters a car runs into on a daily basis.

That being said I have had 3 CEL's for timing in the last 6 weeks and I think I have found the exact situation causing it. I have gone as many as 15 key on/ off cycles and 500 miles with no CELs. The good news is the one timing situation that is still causing the CEL can be programmed around.

I would say it would pass the "plug in" test because for weeks at a time there are no CEL's.

Joe

jdnsx said:
I might be able to help without giving any trade secrets away.

When Factor X tuned my car there was a lot of time spent in the timing area concerning what the stock ECU would "see" as timing. They worked about 10 driving hours and 1000's of different parameters to get rid of the CEL. I can not emphasize enough how hard it is to find and program around all the parameters a car runs into on a daily basis.

That being said I have had 3 CEL's for timing in the last 6 weeks and I think I have found the exact situation causing it. I have gone as many as 15 key on/ off cycles and 500 miles with no CELs. The good news is the one timing situation that is still causing the CEL can be programmed around.

I would say it would pass the "plug in" test because for weeks at a time there are no CEL's.

Joe

Joe are you running a turbo? what year is your car? are you using the Fcon?

It is possible to pass OBDII emissions and readiness tests on a NSX with the VPro with the correct setup and tuning. I dont know about very late models as I havent seen the manual or emission equipment diagrams. The NSX uses very basic and minimal OBDII standards so it is not hard to simulate signals for the stock ECU.
I cannot say 100% that the VPro will pass all emissions tests because there are not hundreds cars using it. JDNSX is the only one right now and I dont have a car here to test.

Jon,

My car is free any time if you need it. I didnt get the water injection in time for the shoot so i did without. Hugh told me that he spoke to you about Forced Induction. I am ready any time you are.:biggrin:

Will

There is one major down side to going with the Hks Pro is that there is only about 20 people in the country that have the software to be able to tune it.
I just called Hks about becoming a dealer and getting thier software for the vpro and they went down a list of dealer requirerments and they were almost imposible to meet. Especially the buy in which was 22 thosand and the amount you have to do every month to stay a dealer which was rediculous.
So If you decide to go with the fcon vpro be sure there is a tuner near you. Remember every change that is done to the car, Uping the boost,changing exhaust changing internals in the engine or anything else requires the car to be put back on the dyno and have it retuned.

dynomike said:
There is one major down side to going with the Hks Pro is that there is only about 20 people in the country that have the software to be able to tune it.
I just called Hks about becoming a dealer and getting thier software for the vpro and they went down a list of dealer requirerments and they were almost imposible to meet. Especially the buy in which was 22 thosand and the amount you have to do every month to stay a dealer which was rediculous.
So If you decide to go with the fcon vpro be sure there is a tuner near you. Remember every change that is done to the car, Uping the boost,changing exhaust changing internals in the engine or anything else requires the car to be put back on the dyno and have it retuned.

The major downside you mention is what we consider the most compelling reason why the HKS-Fcon is the way to go. The people that have qualified for the Pro Status are "real" qualified tuners screened carefully by HKS. These are individuals that have a proven track record both professionally and publicly with a great amount of diversity in their portfolio. The buy-in and monthly goals are a control on HKS's part to sort the real shops from those that come and go. The AEM qualifications are very minimal and is more so just a class on how to use the system. Everyday mechanics that just R&R are now considered "tuners"? We remember one great NSX tech that had no idea how to tune a car but was great at doing timing belts. Yet he became an authorized AEM tuner? Hopefully this is not the norm and they changed the qualifications, from the time we went.

Location, for the most part does not play a significant role if you plan on hiring a qualified tuner for your particular make and model. Most are just a plane ticket away.

We would highly reccomend anyone that makes any changes to airflow to re- tune regardless of what type of EMS you are using.

So it there a way to run the comptech at the 9lb boost setting and keep the factory computer? The AEM computer has problems such as loss of traction control and not as easy to start right?

Yes there is. If you have an older Whipple blower Comptech does sell a 9lb upgrade that can be used with your stock computer. But with the new Auto rotor they do not. I would not try to up the boost any more with the Auto rotor blower with staying with the stock computer. Like I said earlier in this post the new Auto rotor blowers are prone to detonation very easily if you do not get them hot. Having to depend on the intake air temp sensor getting hot enough to pull enough timing out of the motor tells me that the motor is right on the edge of detonation and adding more boost without proper tuning from an aftermarket computer will result in detonation resulting in your wallet getting very light from a blown engine.

As for the starting of your car. All the cars that I tune with the AEM EMS start and run just like like they came off the factory show room floor until you get your foot in to it then your power adder kicks in and hold on{turbo supercharger ect}.

As for the loss of traction control. You do loose the factory traction control but the AEM does have a traction control in it that can be tuned in.

As for does Comptech recomend going with an AEM EMS? I just came back from The SEMA SHOW in las vegas where I shared a room with Shad Huntley. Shad formally with Comptech for 14 years was pretty much the man who came up with the CTSC and he also feels a properly tuned AEM system is the way to go to with thier superchargers. He says the reason they do not sell AEM with there kits is cost and smog reasons. You can pass smog with the sniffer test but fail the visual and obd2 port scan. But hey find a blind smog guy and your ok. Anytime you can have full tunalbility over a engine you will make more power and more reliability.

The biggest part in tuning is tuner selection. There are so many so called tuners out there that don't know there ass from a whole in the ground. What I always tell people is figure out you budget first. If you do not have the money to do everything a 100% then don't do it. When finding a tuner make sure you check there back ground and don't get in ahh just because they have a 9 sec drag car. What I have found is that these people are by far the worst tuners out there. Since they are drag racers they are only concerned with wide open throtle tuning. thus resluting in only a 10% tuned computer. Make sure they are more concerned about MPG start up, driveability and then power. If you ask any good tuner out what is the hardest part of tuning they will all say "to make the car run like a stock driving car" not to make power thats the easy part.

Last edited:
Thanks,

appreciate the info. Cartech on their website for their turbokit say they use these components.

Greddy Rebic IV AFC with two 30lbs./hr. injectors (OBDII only)
Reprogrammed factory ECU (OBDII only)

Would those not work in this case?

No you would not get those things as we would put an AEM system to tune the car. Those are kind of just like a band aid for the kit. If you are consisdering turbo charging I would look into the lovefab kit and run away from the cartech kit. I did one of these kits and ended up remaking the whole thing because nothing fit.
www.lovefab.com

Back