• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Comptech Headers

Originally posted by SilverOne:
I'll have to agree with Litesokneecough above, Steve called me and told me same thing. Even though we purchased the item through Goodson, but the item is being shipped from CA, thus sales tax apply. Price went up $75 for tax.

I am still waiting for mine to come in the mail, although it was said that it should've been here yesterday.

[This message has been edited by SilverOne (edited 12 December 2002).]

Patience my friend ... with the x-mas season among us delivery maybe a day or so behind.

Hey guys,
Susan sent me an e-mail telling me that she is going to look into it regarding sales tax. I agree with Hrant regarding the sale originating from Texas to California. It shouldn't matter where they purchase the item from. If that is the case, Gaylon said that they will charge me the $40 shipping for the headers to go to Texas and then charge me again for the $40 shipping for it to go from Texas back to California. If I have any common business sense, they are suppose to absorb the first shipping cost and work it into the price. Because Susan said $1200 plus shipping, the most that any one of us should be paying if we are in California is $1240 shipped to our front door. I sure hope Susan can work out this sales tax issue. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Talk about bitching for being hung with a new rope!!!!

We are getting these cheaper than anyone would ever think of selling them for. Stop bitching about $40 here and $40 there.

Sales tax is to be collected in every state the item is shipped to, most states do not follow up on it because of the time/money equation does not work. Check with your local Department of Revenue. Here in NC the state automatically adds 0.5% to your income tax to cover out of state purchase unless you specifically list them on your income tax form or opt out of the program, which of course could mean a closer inspection of your purchasing records and tax records. Yes, it is a form of extortion, but I guess the government is above the law.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

Well, mine are on!
Had them done at Gerry Johnson's Performance Autoworx last night.
Having experienced the whole process with Gerry, yes, its pretty straight forward, a lot of work, but just basic wrenching, as suggested. Just can't imagine it without a lift!!
There are several things to watch for though - I'm sure Gerry will be delighted for me to share these with you:-
(these all refer to 91-94 application)

1) Header/head gaskets - CT contradicts themselves on replacement (or not) on different pages of the "instructions"; my advice (Gerry's!), replace them - for $30, it's not worth the potential of having to re-do the whole process if they leak!
Part # 18115-PR7-AO1

2) The O2 sensors - these were the most troublesome item to remove in the whole process - make sure you have the correct tool!
(Look for it in snap-on under oxygen sensor - specific URL too long to work here!)
You pretty much have to remove these in place as without getting the sensor out you can't remove the heatshields (& subsequently get to the header/head nuts). A box wrench with an open slot (like a crowfoot?) would be ideal here, better than the socket I think.

3)There are no gaskets supplied for the CT-flange that mates to the cat - you'll never get these out of the old pipes, be prepared with new ones! Part # 18393-SH3-S00 (2 required)

4)Installing the spring-loaded bolts for the ball joints (Why didn't CT just make these 1/4" longer?????) Use a pair of alligator adjustable joint pliers to compress the spring by squeezing between head of bolt & the back flange.

5) Plan a sensible route for the O2 cable extensions & secure them with cable ties.

6) The nut for the engine mount on the crossbeam - this is very awkward to get to during re-install; Gerry suggests epoxying this on (to hold it captive); do this after you remove the crossbeam, so it will be ready to go when re-assembling. (put the bolt through to make sure it is aligned while setting) This one is an excellent tip!!!!

Also, as an "fyi" we didn't remove the exhaust - after removing the cats, just left it on the hangers & it created no issues during the removal or install process. Also did not remove the sway bar.

Very pleased with the outcome! Hope these are helpful - although I took the easy route, it was well worth it & thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with Gerry.
Good luck with all of yours!

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 13 December 2002).]

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
My Bad!

Just got off the phone to Comptech and they would not warranty the headers if they are modified in any way, including Jet-Hot coating ..... etc.

Hey Greg, maybe you can provide your updates is a new post - cut & paste the previous steps along with the new update so its all together, but keeps it in the most recent posts - I almost missed yur updates, but think lots would be interestd in your progress & things you discover.
I think more detail on removing the O2 sensor wire would be invaluable! That would allow a regular box wrench to go on (Note: Gerry used a vize clamp to keep the socket from opening, but its very awkward)
Sounds like great job so far - I wish you continued good fortune!

How many hours of labor is the job?

And how much did each of the extra parts (gaskets, etc.) cost?

-CiaoBoy

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
Well, mine are on!
Had them done at Gerry Johnson's Performance Autoworx last night.
Having experienced the whole process with Gerry, yes, its pretty straight forward, a lot of work, but just basic wrenching, as suggested. Just can't imagine it without a lift!!
There are several things to watch for though - I'm sure Gerry will be delighted for me to share these with you:-
(these all refer to 91-94 application)

1) Header/head gaskets - CT contradicts themselves on replacement (or not) on different pages of the "instructions"; my advice (Gerry's!), replace them - for $30, it's not worth the potential of having to re-do the whole process if they leak!
Part # 18115-PR7-AO1

2) The O2 sensors - these were the most troublesome item to remove in the whole process - make sure you have the correct tool!
(Look for it in snap-on under oxygen sensor - specific URL too long to work here!)
You pretty much have to remove these in place as without getting the sensor out you can't remove the heatshields (& subsequently get to the header/head nuts). A box wrench with an open slot (like a crowfoot?) would be ideal here, better than the socket I think.

3)There are no gaskets supplied for the CT-flange that mates to the cat - you'll never get these out of the old pipes, be prepared with new ones! Part # 18393-SH3-S00 (2 required)

4)Installing the spring-loaded bolts for the ball joints (Why didn't CT just make these 1/4" longer?????) Use a pair of alligator adjustable joint pliers to compress the spring by squeezing between head of bolt & the back flange.

5) Plan a sensible route for the O2 cable extensions & secure them with cable ties.

6) The nut for the engine mount on the crossbeam - this is very awkward to get to during re-install; Gerry suggests epoxying this on (to hold it captive); do this after you remove the crossbeam, so it will be ready to go when re-assembling. (put the bolt through to make sure it is aligned while setting) This one is an excellent tip!!!!

Also, as an "fyi" we didn't remove the exhaust - after removing the cats, just left it on the hangers & it created no issues during the removal or install process. Also did not remove the sway bar.

Very pleased with the outcome! Hope these are helpful - although I took the easy route, it was well worth it & thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with Gerry.
Good luck with all of yours!

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 13 December 2002).]

Originally posted by CiaoBoy:
How many hours of labor is the job?

And how much did each of the extra parts (gaskets, etc.) cost?

-CiaoBoy

The head gaskets were $14 each; you know, I don't think he charged me for the flange rings so couldn't tell you - wouldn't be much though, I should think. Call your dealer with the part numbers quoted & they'll give you exact numbers.
Don't screw up the O2 sensors - big $$$ there!!!!
Whole job was about 6 hrs, but that was easy pace, interruptions, distractions, discussions, dinner break, Gerry's daughter's potty accident, etc etc
4 hrs I think is do-able if non-stop.

i just ordered the comptech headers myself from goodson and asked him about the gaskets n time involved .... they told me 4 hrs and the gaskets were 30 bucks... My local dealer who i asked about the job quoted me 22 hours at 85/hr ... i just said thank you and hung up.... i think i will be goin back to davis acura which is about 1 1/2 hours from me for this install.If anyone knows of a qualified dealer whom they trust thats closer to ny please let me know.....Thanks Bailey

I started a post on the "Do it yourself" forum about my header installation project. I'll continue to update the post until finished.

Ken, you never did say how you like the headers. Have you noticed an increase of power? Does the car sound different? Details please!

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

What a deal! Ordered my set today... Perfect Christmas present for my toy! Everyone at Goodson Acura was very helpful:-)

NSXRacer.com

[This message has been edited by NSXRacer (edited 16 December 2002).]

I got mine yesterday. Thanks Goodson Acura! They look great!

And they even sent along two "Comptech" stickers. That's got to be worth a couple of HP at least.

Hi. WE are located in Philadelphia PA and we are a performance shop. I think it will be closer for U and less expansive to use our services rather then Davis Acura, If U are interested,please e-mail us @[email protected], we work on NSX's constantly!!!
Originally posted by Acura NsX Pilot:
i just ordered the comptech headers myself from goodson and asked him about the gaskets n time involved .... they told me 4 hrs and the gaskets were 30 bucks... My local dealer who i asked about the job quoted me 22 hours at 85/hr ... i just said thank you and hung up.... i think i will be goin back to davis acura which is about 1 1/2 hours from me for this install.If anyone knows of a qualified dealer whom they trust thats closer to ny please let me know.....Thanks Bailey

Davis Acura just quoted me $320 for the job and said that there is no extra charge if im changing the exhaust.....So tubi and comptech installed for $320.

My local mechanic that only works on Hondas and Acuras charged me $185 for installing my headers. 3.5 hours of work, he said. Also had him replace the upper windshield molding. Funny, he said that job was harder than installing the headers.

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
My local mechanic that only works on Hondas and Acuras charged me $185 for installing my headers. 3.5 hours of work, he said. Also had him replace the upper windshield molding. Funny, he said that job was harder than installing the headers.

As i dont really trust anyone else with my car and i have been to davis acura b4 for a clutch install for the extra hundred bucks id rather let them do it but i will speak to Larry B tommorow at the nsx holiday dinner and maybe he can recommend someone or even better yet help me do it...lol

Originally posted by Nsx Service Girl:
Reminder, special is over at the end of the year!

Well, that's a bummer. So much for my tax return going toward these! Let me know if you have this special anytime in 2003.

Military discount, maybe?

Im sitting in DAVIS ACURA's internet cafe right now and making this post ... alot of remodeling here since the last time i came in and i must say im very impresed...along with a beautiful waiting lounge they offer STARBUCKS COFFEE and Bottled water.I also had an opportunity to watch the dent wizard at work...very interesting... well my tubi exhaust n headers are almost done so im signing off now hope your acura experience will be this pleasurable.

Back