Complete Testing

I am compiling a list of pre-purchase testing that can (not should) be done on exotic automobiles. Any comments would be appreciated be they specific to a NSX or other exotic marque.

So far:

PPI
Leak down
Compression
Oil (recent)
Tire tread depth
Brakes (but what outside of pads and caliper inspects)
ECU report ("dump")

Possible?

Transaxle fluids ??
Sparks?
Wheels (roundness)?
Chassis/suspension and components??

TIA !

boiling point of brake fluid will tell you how old it is. pretty easy with right equipment.

inspection of air filter to see if recently changed

you can check tranny fluid

pull the fill plug and stick your fingers in.

you can check suspension by pushing down on it. Depending on rebound rate, you can estimate the condition of the spring and struts.

Chassie would require putting the car on the lift and going over it.

You can test spark with a spark tester and run resistance test on the coils.

its a pretty extensive PPI the leak down will take a long time.

The problem i see with a PPI is some owners do not like their car being driving to a mechanic that is not their own.

Also the time they need to invest to bring the car to the PPI inspection.

you can check tranny fluid; pull the fill plug and stick your fingers in. you can check suspension by pushing down on it. Depending on rebound rate, you can estimate the condition of the spring and struts.

Chassi would require putting the car on the lift and going over it. You can test spark with a spark tester and run resistance test on the coils. its a pretty extensive PPI the leak down will take a long time. The problem i see with a PPI is some owners do not like their car being driving to a mechanic that is not their own. Also the time they need to invest to bring the car to the PPI inspection.
I believe once a car is vetted, the PPI and other inspections need to be the cost of the Buyer with a deposit and the right to withdraw for any reason from the deal. The Seller retains the rights to the PPI info, the Buyer is held to a Non Discolsure.

A couple of good suggestions, thanks.

Add manifold/exhaust smoke testing for leaks. A/C freon. Older cars, poking around the underside looking for rust where anti-rust might be covering.

I beleve all fluids should be dumped, the Buyer can then have the ones he wants replaced or not afterwards (if he Buys).

Others?

I agree, the buyer will need to front 100% of the costs.

even then, the time input and the possibility of having the car inspected by someone other than their regular mechanic will be a big hurdle to over come, esp with exotics.

lets say you run a compression test, a tech who do not usually see nsxs over tightens the spark plug cover bolt and it snaps... who pays for that? i just saw a car with 3 out of 4 center spark plug bolts broken off. 2 was broken and 1 snapped when i was removing it off because it was over torqued during install and stretched.

also with a lowered car, there are chances of damage when on the lift.

I have seen people put a jack on in the middle of the lower aluminum brace to lift up the car. :eek:

i think maintenance records is a much better indication of the history of the vehicle. If it has been well taken care of, its highly unlikely that the owner will start beating on the vehicle right before selling it.

if had to chose between ppi or history, i would take history.. and of course take a little peak under the car to check for any frame damage. :smile:

short of a complete tare down, your list is pretty much complete.

Last edited:
I agree, the buyer will need to front 100% of the costs. Even then, the time input and the possibility of having the car inspected by someone other than their regular mechanic will be a big hurdle to over come, esp with exotics.

lets say you run a compression test, a tech who do not usually see nsxs over tightens the spark plug cover bolt and it snaps... who pays for that? i just saw a car with 3 out of 4 center spark plug bolts broken off. 2 was broken and 1 snapped when i was removing it off because it was over torqued during install and stretched.
The Buyer and Seller have to agree to the Inspector. Both have an interest in seeing the inspection done professionally and accurately. The best scenario is to find an independent inspector(s), one who isn't associated with either or have a future in the maintenance and repair of the car. Any Inspector should be bonded for any damage they create and accept that expense, neither Seller nor Buyer should be liable.

think maintenance records is a much better indication of the history of the vehicle. If it has been well taken care of, its highly unlikely that the owner will start beating on the vehicle right before selling it.

if had to chose between ppi or history, i would take history.. and of course take a little peak under the car to check for any frame damage. :smile:

short of a complete tare down, your list is pretty much complete.
Thanks but I feel there is more. For instance, what is unique in terms of problems for the NSX especially by Series and even further by certain years within a series; problems that can really bite you and make a $50K purchase turn into a $65K purchase very quickly?

Here's an example from another car, a Ferrari 430. These puppies have a history of cracked exhaust systems prior to 15Kmi; if you don't know to smoke test, pull the heat protection off, you'd never find the beginning of this $10K problem.

Last edited:
Here's an example from another car, a Ferrari 430. These puppies have a history of cracked exhaust systems prior to 15Kmi; if you don't know to smoke test, pull the heat protection off, you'd never find the beginning of this $10K problem.

yep i hear ya. F355 have the same issue.

i did the ppi myself when i purchased mine but definitely a 5000$ a pop exhaust manifold is no fun.

there is always ebay. :wink: you can change the 10K problem to a 1.5K problem.

the nsx on the other hand is an exotic made by people with engineer degrees. no problems with exhaust manifold cracks.

one "wise" man recently shared his wisdom to me about apples and oranges

personally research is very important. the problems that apply to a Ferrari such as manifold and valve guide issues sometimes does not apply to other cars like the NSX.

find out them most common problems with the vehicle you want and get those inspected.

good luck on your purchase. your making some very good points.

Though not a test, you will want to check if the car falls into the Snap Ring range. I think that is mainly for 92's.

approximately, how much would a test/inspection like this cost?
If you are having you car its regular service interval maintenance, nothing. IMO a good mechanic would do this kind of inspection willingly. By "this kind of inspection" I mean any known, recurring mechanical or other isues with a car especially if the results of not finding the problem can end up with a very lmajor and expensive repair. For the F cars, if a manifold crack occurs it is common that the heat shielding materials (and other contaminants) can be pulled up into the engine. Now you have a complete rebuild or replacement. With the lack of the F360 and F430 engines, this could mean your car sits for an indefinite period of time. :eek:

If you pull into your mechanic and ask him to do it, labor by time would be fair.

the nsx on the other hand is an exotic made by people with engineer degrees. no problems with exhaust manifold cracks.

one "wise" man recently shared his wisdom to me about apples and oranges

personally research is very important. the problems that apply to a Ferrari such as manifold and valve guide issues sometimes does not apply to other cars like the NSX.

find out them most common problems with the vehicle you want and get those inspected.

good luck on your purchase. your making some very good points.
Correct; if anything that can be learned it is that purchases and the inspections of purchased cars is highly individualistic.

Back