comparison of 993 turbo to nsx....thinking about buying a 1997 993 turbo

Wrong. The F40 body IS based on the 308 as well as the 288 GTO. The GTO is not even in the same league as the 959 and F40.
I had a Pocher 1/8 F40 and it sure had the 308 body with more bells and whistles.
Steve

Interesting note, the 959 and 288 GTO were both built to compete against each other in the Group B racing series. In order to compete in the series a certain number of production cars had to be made. The racing series got cancelled before it began and the production cars became part of history.

http://dofb.com/cars/blast-from-the-past-ferrari-288-gto-porsche-959/

The F40 came later and was never meant to race against the 959.

Greetings

You don't say what year the 993 is and how many miles it has on it. A 16 year old Porsche with high mileage is not the same as a 16 year old NSX with high mileage. The 993 will be faster on a straight away. Anchor a couple of bags of sand in the front end if you want to drive it on curvy roads. The front end will become light when the turbo boosts -- it will under-steer like crazy. It will have rattles and it will be quite expensive when things break (and they will break). It will be like the fast beautiful girl from high school who now has health issues since she turned 40.
Buy it if you like it. Just be aware of what you are getting.

Cheers,
Martin

My mistake on the age -- the 1995 was the first year, so a 15 year old Porsche. A friend of mine has one - paid a fortune for it when it was 3 years old - good use of Stock Options. It is beautiful and I agree that it is probably the best looking Porsche ever. It rattles -- what can I say. It under steers too. It breaks quite often and is very expensive to repair. I stand by my comments that it is like a beautiful girl from high school.

Cheers,
Martin

Wrong. The F40 body IS based on the 308 as well as the 288 GTO. The GTO is not even in the same league as the 959 and F40.
I had a Pocher 1/8 F40 and it sure had the 308 body with more bells and whistles.
Steve

That's not what you posted, what you posted, as I quoted above, was that the F40 was a 308 with a wide body and turbos. As is clearly indicated here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F40

that is not true. The body was an all new design from Pininfarina. It is carbon fiber over a tube chasis. In addition, the 308/328 had a transversely mounted V8 whereas the F40 contained a longitudinally mounted twin turbo V8. The F40 in the picture I posted above, is my good friend's car and I can tell you that it is NOT merely a 308 with a wide body and turbos. They do share some chasis and suspension similarities, but they are not the same car.

I apologize to the OP for having taken this so far OT.

Its an S model. They made like 164 of them. The best of the best of the air cooled turbo Pcars.

Pricey yes? Could you drive it? Not if you didn't want to lose the value.

They are museum pieces.

Look at the rest of his cars and prices.... Dude, is smoking crack - even ultra low model cars! :eek:

Look at the rest of his cars and prices.... Dude, is smoking crack - even ultra low model cars! :eek:

Ray is known around the world for having THE nicest Pcars and he spares NO expense making sure everything is perfect on them. Is he overpriced? Maybe. But I have yet to meet an owner that doesn't swear by him and wouldn't buy another car from him in a heartbeat.

Here's the 993 I'm having a PPI done on at the moment...C4S in Black Black...

Do your research and these cars can be had at a steal at the moment. This one is half the price at least of a TT and looks the same. I'm hoping the PPI is superb...all indications are that it will be.

untitled1.jpg

Here's the 993 I'm having a PPI done on at the moment...C4S in Black Black...

Do your research and these cars can be had at a steal at the moment. This one is half the price at least of a TT and looks the same. I'm hoping the PPI is superb...all indications are that it will be.

untitled1.jpg

Beautiful car! A friend has one and loves it. Good luck!

The factory aero kit has a different tail, the double decker. Beautiful car. However, since the pilot already had a NA2 NSX, the C4S will feel slow and heavy. If I were him, the 993TT is the only way to go.
Steve

The factory aero kit has a different tail, the double decker. Beautiful car. However, since the pilot already had a NA2 NSX, the C4S will feel slow and heavy. If I were him, the 993TT is the only way to go.
Steve

Nope a TT is way above my budget (for a good condition one). Right now the plan is to acquire this car then another NSX in 1-2 years time. Best of both World's...

I'm not a power freak anyway...I drive spiritedly but don't really need a monster HP car. NSX never has been a monster HP car anyway...

993 C4S Performance as of Car & Driver

Carrera 4S US 1997
(Car and Driver Jun/96)
0-60 4.9 s
1/4 Mile 13.5 @ 102 mph (164 km/h)
Top Speed 161 mph (259 km/h)

Weight: 3064 lbs

Acura NSX
0-60 mp/h time of 5.03 seconds and 13.47 1/4 mile
Weight: 2950 lbs

Sounds pretty close to me. The AWD of the C4S will make a nice year round driver.

993 turbo's are great cars.
Finding a clean one is hard. PPI will be the only way to pick out a cherry 993 turbo. There isn't much out there that are clean with low miles. Most owners that own these cars are holding on to them.

My suggestion to you for the mean time is, supercharge your NSX with the Comptech Supercharger, add AEM EMS, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, Dual Band EUGO (AEM). It is day and night difference from NA to FI.

Get a new clutch after if needed.

This will be a fun car to drive as you are in search for your perfect 993.

I was searching for a 993 C4 S or C2 S. But never got one because i never found a clean one that i liked for a decent price. I did try searching for a few months and i gave up.

If you're looking for a C4S or C2S and couldn't find one, I'm wondering where you were looking cause there are a lot of em out there. There are a heck of a lot more 911s to choose from in the clean catagory than NSXs. My question is how you go about waiting to find the right NSX, that's gotta take a while. I've been looking a them for a while now and I haven't come across hardly any or if any that I'd be looking for. There seem to be a lot of pre 95 cars out there and a few nice post 2002 models but damn few post 97 to 2001 models. If one is waiting for one of those how long would you expect to wait - I'll tell you it'll take a lot longer to find one ot these NSXs than any Porsche of any model your looking for. There are always 993s out there that fit the "clean" catagory on ebay.

Look at the PCA mart, well you can't unless you're a member there are many on there. The NSX Mart as i've been watching hasn't changed in weeks. When I'm really ready to buy I hope I find one in a year. I garauntee that I could find many 993s in that time that would fit your criteria.

I don't believe any 993 C4S has a 0-60 time in under 5 seconds unless you've seen actual test data from someone like Car and Driver or Road and Track cause the factory surely doesn't claim those stats. I don't think I've seen the NSX stats down as low as 5 either. Where did you go to find this. I had a C2 993 1996 with vario ram and it's faster than the C4S as there is less weight and no HP difference. The S only gives you suspension stuff, brakes and wide body which in itself is heavier. No way it's as fast as a stock C2 993.

My 993 did 0-60 in 5.2 not 5 flat. So I'd say the C4S was at least 1 second slower. But either way they are both fast cars and that's all I need to know to make the switch to the NSX. I liked my 993 but I wouldn't buy another not with the Secondary Air Intake coking problem that most here probably know nothing about. If anyone is looking for one of these and does want to know I'd be glad to tell you what you'll eventually be in for - it's only about an 8k fix. That ought to peak someones interest if your looking.

Tim
Atlanta

993 C4S Performance as of Car & Driver

Carrera 4S US 1997
(Car and Driver Jun/96)
0-60 4.9 s
1/4 Mile 13.5 @ 102 mph (164 km/h)
Top Speed 161 mph (259 km/h)

Weight: 3064 lbs

Acura NSX
0-60 mp/h time of 5.03 seconds and 13.47 1/4 mile
Weight: 2950 lbs

Sounds pretty close to me. The AWD of the C4S will make a nice year round driver.
C&D have been consistently posted lower numbers compared to R&T.
The NA2 NSXs have been getting anywhere from 4.5s for the Zanardi to 4.9 seconds for others. As I have driven my friend's 1998 C4S quite often, both he and I feel that the NA2 is quicker than the 993 C4S. However, the 2009 997C4S that I drove yesterday was stunningly fast with very insane second gear. 385 hps is a very good thing.
Steve

My question is how you go about waiting to find the right NSX, that's gotta take a while. I've been looking a them for a while now and I haven't come across hardly any or if any that I'd be looking for. There seem to be a lot of pre 95 cars out there and a few nice post 2002 models but damn few post 97 to 2001 models

Tim,

Have you expanded your search here on NSXPrime for cars posted since Jan or even last year? Reason I ask is that I know of an immaculate Silverstone 97-01 NSX in Albuquerque that was for sale by PBNSX...not sure if he still has it but worth checking out. I think it was a 99....

My ex-2002 Imola was posted on here early last year and the thread never bumped yet when I was searching came across the advert and voila! it was still for sale. I nabbed it. I see this time and time again.

Because the NSX was never mass produced like 911's you will struggle a bit to find a nice example. I've seen many a nice 993's for sale and its basically down to finding the right color combination at the price I'm willing to pay. That same principle for finding a NSX doesn't work as there just aren't that many well cared for examples.

Good luck on your search!

Back