Compare two cars - pros/cons

Hey folks,

Wanted to get your insight on the search.

I am currently looking at two cars - 96 Blk/Blk and 91 Blk/Blk w/ CTSC.

Both are my preferred color, mileage, and price range so that's all good.

I am still investigating the precise condition/maintenance history of both cars so obviously that will weigh heavily, but...

As a weekly driver (take the bus to work currently but would like to start driving one day a week), what differences between these two model years should I be most aware of? I'd love to have the insight of the Prime collective. :smile:

Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

* 96 has power steering - I live in the city so this might be nice for maneuvering into tight parking spaces etc
* 96 has a t-top - I thought I didn't care about this, but I took a ride in a '99 with the top off today, and it was pretty awesome...

* 91 is definitely way faster on account of a) CTSC and b) weight increases from the targa top
* 91 has a chance of being snap ring

If I were in your shoes, here is how I would approach it:

What type of driving are you going to be doing?
If you are planning on tracking the car, then the coupe seems like the way to go. Its faster and more stable in track conditions from what everyone says. If you are planning on cruising around town/city, then the T-top is the way to go.

I am not a track guy (although I wouldn't mind getting out on a track to get some valuable education) which is why the T was a must for me. Having the top off makes a big impact on the casual driving fun and I gives the car a little more "wow" to it as it goes rolling down the street.

How important is speed?
I have the 3.2, so it is a little faster than the 96 would be but still this is a FAST car for every day driving. With the high rev engine, a quick downshift puts you at 80MPH before you know it and 100MPH not long after that. At that point you are pretty much always hitting the brakes as you are looking at some serious speeding fines and safety issues out on the open roads. For driving on the public roads, this car has plenty of power. I took some of my wife's family out for a ride over the Easter holidays and there was plenty of them hanging on to anything they could grab and lots of shock in their face as the car revv'd up to speed. Don't get too wrapped up in the statements about the NSX being underpowered; it is underpowered compared to modern day standards but it is VERY powerful compared to random cars out there. Then there is the corning....

On a track of course you are looking at an entirely different argument and that is where the turbo '91 would really matter as you are driving in an entirely different element. For me, it isn't other race worthy vehicles that I am trying to pass, just SUVs & minivans.

In summary, for me I am 100% happy with the decision to go T top and more casual cruising style but that matches what I wanted to do with the car.

Tough choice. It depends on your priorities. The CTSC, while nice, is going to require extra maintenance compared to a stock car. On the other hand, I have yet to remove the T-top from my cars, so I wouldn't mind the coupe if speed is more important to you. What about mileage? Cosmetic condition? Maintenance? Those should also play an important factor in your decision. Get as much info about both cars as you can, then weigh them against your priorities. All else being equal and if you don't care that much about the CTSC, I'd probably go with the newer car as it's likely to have fewer problems due to age. Good luck!

If you are planning on cruising around town/city, then the T-top is the way to go.

I am not a track guy (although I wouldn't mind getting out on a track to get some valuable education) which is why the T was a must for me. Having the top off makes a big impact on the casual driving fun and I gives the car a little more "wow" to it as it goes rolling down the street.

Tough choice. It depends on your priorities. The CTSC, while nice, is going to require extra maintenance compared to a stock car.

All else being equal and if you don't care that much about the CTSC, I'd probably go with the newer car as it's likely to have fewer problems due to age. Good luck!

Thanks for your input guys. Definitely looking for a reliable not-quite-daily driver rather than a track car.

It definitely is scary how quickly any NSX gets to 80mph while feeling like you're doing 45.

You would really need to test drive both. However, once you drive the CTSC you wont go back to the non supercharger NSX. Its like NSX on steroids.
Your talking about two different rides. I would go for the $8-10k CTSC if it were me for the extra power and Im in favor of manual go-kart type steering since I do little parallel parking.
You will definitely have a grin from ear to ear everytime you drive it.

Last edited:
Im in favor of manual go-kart type steering since I do little parallel parking.

How much more gokarty are ones with EPS vs without? I'm sure this has been discussed over and over and people have their preferences - but for a daily/weekly driver that gets parked in the city and things?

How much more gokarty are ones with EPS vs without? I'm sure this has been discussed over and over and people have their preferences - but for a daily/weekly driver that gets parked in the city and things?

FWIW, I didn't notice any difference between my 91 and my 99/97. And while I do hit the gym, I'm no bodybuilder so that wasn't a factor. :D The power steering only activates at low speeds anyway.

Last edited:
You can always add a CTSC, but you would not chop the roof on a coupe.

Driving a targa made me sell my 91 and get a 95. Some like it, some don't - but sounds like you do.

Good luck either way.

Bill

96 it is! Test drive and PPI this weekend. Wish me luck :smile:

Thanks all for your insights.

unless you want to drive with the top off, get the coupe and CTSC. I never take the top off and I wish my car was a coupe. the targa top flex in corners and squeak on rough road.

The newer you can get, go for it. If it were me, I would take the '96.

I started with a '96, upgraded to an '01 and am now moving to an '05. This car was around for 15 years and they just kept improving on a performance car that was something special. Also, the engineers at Honda wanted it to remain NA for several good reasons.

Nice!! keep us posted!

Test drive went great! PPI comes back later in the week. Fingers crossed...

Also waiting for my username to change so this thread doesn't pop up on google under my twitter handle... The "name change" thread under the general admin area seems to be neglected, is there any other way to change my username?

Test drive went great! PPI comes back later in the week. Fingers crossed...

Also waiting for my username to change so this thread doesn't pop up on google under my twitter handle... The "name change" thread under the general admin area seems to be neglected, is there any other way to change my username?

You might be able to expedite the name change if you make a donation. Just sayin'. :biggrin: I already changed it for you in my reply. ;)

You might be able to expedite the name change if you make a donation. Just sayin'. :biggrin: I already changed it for you in my reply. ;)

Very nice of you. I think i'll do that.

Thanks! Now send an email to the "NSX Prime" email address in your PayPal transaction and ask nicely to have your username changed. Good luck!

Let us know what you decide, but really you should drive both cars. Ive driven an 03, 95 and 97 Targa top and noticed right away the squeaks with top on and some flex around corners with top off.
Either way it's a win-win situation.

Sadly, the story ends because the seller, Penfed, and I couldn't agree on what the car was worth. Too bad. I really liked the car, especially the wheels (02+).

Another one will always come along...

Back