Coming up to visit Napa Valley...

...and I could really use some advice from any veterans here! My gf and I are going to be driving up from SoCal during labor day weekend and meet up with a few friends of ours in the city. One of the days during the weekend we want to take in a tour of the wineries in Napa for the day, only I don't know too much about where to go. None of us are connoisseurs to any degree, but would still like to experience what it is to taste quality wine and take in the scenery. Which places would be ideal for first-timers and novices to go to? Any insight or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For first timers, the tour at Mondavi is very nice. After you do one tour, you really don't need to go on another. Then just pick out some of the wineries that you've heard of before and enjoy the tasting. A small winery that has some good tastings is Napa Cellars. There are a few that have some nice art work and memoribilia such as the Hess and Coppola. For lunch you can go to Domaine Chandon for sparkling wine, or Mustard's for a conventional lunch. If you want some great steak tartare, try Bistro Jeanty. ;)

One thing I do when I go to the wine country is hire a limo. I just don't like the idea of drinking and driving. Just a thought.:biggrin:

One thing I do when I go to the wine country is hire a limo. I just don't like the idea of drinking and driving. Just a thought.:biggrin:

Yeah that's the plan... just where to tell the driver to go is the question. Thanks for the suggestions DocL! Anyone else?

On your list of definites should be Mumm's. The outside patio overlooks the vineyard and is a beautiful spot to sit and have a flight of bubbly. They also have a really nice Ansel Adams collection. The tour there was one of the better ones we've been on as well.

Sterling is also an amazing setting, up on the hill overlooking the valley, really beautiful.

I'd highly recommend Taylors Refresher for lunch if you're in the mood for a beer and a burger. If not lots of really nice spots in Yountville.

If you're staying for dinner make a reservation (well in advance) for Ad Hoc in Yountville. Its Thomas Keller lower priced restaurant and is amazing. If you can't get a res. there lots of people will steer you to Rutherfords, which is also a great spot and has free or relatively cheap corkage fees.
Enjoy

Great suggestions by all. The only thing I would add is that it is ALWAYS best to make reservations. This way you can ensure you get in. The Mondavi tour in particular.

I personally like to visit wineries off the beaten path, as I feel that a lot of Napa has gotten too commercial over the years.

Unfortunately, many of the good ones are not open to the public at all.

I highly recommend Frank Family and Heitz Cellars, not only because they have great wines, but they have resisted the urge to go commercial, and still offer free tastings, which is almost unheard of in the valley these days. Please support them by buying some wine!

Some others worthy of mention that I can think of off the top of my head (in no particular order):

Alpha Omega
Plumpjack
Cardinale
Rombauer
Jessup
Silver Oak
Stag's Leap Wine Cellars

The list goes on, but I think that and the other suggestions should keep you busy. Even if you start early in the morning, you're lucky if you can hit 4 wineries in one day.

For eating, off the top of my head:

Mustards
Go-Fish
Taylor's Refresher
Brix

Cheers!

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far! Wow, you really can count on the prime community for almost anything! :biggrin:

Back