Collect Social Security early or wait?

LJSB

Suspended
Well I'm coming up to 62 pretty soon and I can begin to collect but wonder if I should.

On one hand I thought maybe start now and use it to pay a mortgage on a retirement home( I like the idea of New Mexico) or wait until 72 when I plan to leave the shop and get the full amount?
Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Answer depends on your expected life expectancy. Generally you will be much better off if you wait until 67 or so and maximize the benefit. This is especially true if you expect to live into your eighties or beyond. However being male we generally don't live as long, so if you have reason to believe you might only live to your mid to late 70's you can make more by starting at 62.

This is my 2cents.

1. Do you still like what you are doing?
2. Do you have any medical conditions that would shorten your life span?
3. Are you comfortable with your income?
4. Do you have any retirement fund?
5. How much more tax that you have to pay if you draw your SS?

I'm 67 and decided down the road a piece I didn't want to be in a rocking chair somewhere wishing I had done this or that when I had the chance.
So I took money early at a reduced rate.
If I live long enough I may regret it however I've taken the gamble to enjoy now rather than have money later when I can't do anything with it.

^this. I say take the money now and enjoy it. You never know if you'll be here tomorrow. Life is a gift, don't take it for granted.

Just curiosity......How much do they pay at age 62 vs. 65? Is that the max. they would pay is about $1,600/month?

Each year you delay, it increases the payout by 8% per year until age 70. It depends, but general rule of thumb is that taking at age 66 will pay off if you die before age 81, if you live past that, delaying and getting a larger payout for the rest of your life is attractive. If you continue to work prior to age 70, and earn above (I believe it's about 34,000 per year) a certain amount, there is tax on the SS, based on your income. If you continue to work, and draw social security, in many cases it pays to delay the SS, and let the amount increase. There is also strategies that involve taking the spousal benefit, while delaying your benefit. It's not as easy as saying take the money and run. Life expectancy is important, and none of us know the date we're going to die, unless we plan on it. I must say, I'm not an accountant, I'm not giving anyone "tax advice", please consult with your tax expert. If you earn enough, you should use a good accountant, and not do your own taxes, unless your return is that simple. Not every one is the same, circumstances, health, income, savings, retirement accounts, pensions, etc. all play a part in a successful retirement plan.

pbassjo:
What both socalx and rpm217 say is golden.

There is a point of diminishing returns.....start at 66 ...

In my case it revolves around health insurance. Can't enroll in Medicare until 65, so I'm planning to work until I'm 65 then collect. Simple as that.

Not that I'm wanting to wish my life away, but the next 7 years are gonna be long...

Correct me if I'm wrong here but for me my wife is much younger... almost 15 years. Wouldn't it make sense for me to take my benefit really late as she can collect it for a long period of time after I'm dead. Iow, let's say I wait until I'm 70 to take mine, she'll be 55 then. I croak sometime there after and she gets to collect my benefit until she dies? If that's the case then she will collect the max for a very long period? I never really gave it much thought and haven't looked into it as I never expected to need it. Is there a cut off for income where I can't collect? I'm assuming my companies will still be operating in my late life and beyond my death. If I'm receiving income from them can I even get a SS check?

Can I make one of my kids the beneficiary? If so how long could they collect it for?

Steve, good to hear from you.
I don't need SS but I paid into it and I want it. There is a SS website that explains quite a bit about spousal, children and disability benefits.

I did my own analysis and for me the crossover point is 85 years old.
If I think I will live longer than 85 I should wait till 67 to collect SS.

Back