Code 21 vtec solenoid

I’m not getting power between 3-4000 rpms and it’s running code 21 or the vtec solenoid...both ohm check ok...any idea what could be wrong/ way to fix the problem?

Ohm check OK - does that mean they match the service manual values?

Code 21 is the front solenoid circuit. Check the condition of the wires on the plug looking for damaged wiring on the front solenoid and make sure that the plug is fully seated. If that doesn't solve the problem the next step is to check the wiring between the plug on the solenoid and the ECU - details are in the service manual which you can find on-line.

You can also replace the screen seals and swap the position of the Front and Rear VTEC actuator. If the MIL goes from 21 (Front VTEC) to 51 (Rear VTEC) then you know where you problem is... The seal tends to go bad over time and need replacement.

Thanks for the info guys! I talked to LarryB the NSX God and he suggested a new solenoid since i had to replace 1 last year. Odds are it’s the other one that went now so i ordered that and got all new screens and gaskets. Hopefully that’s it!

Back