Club Radio Group Buy

Are Club Radio's even legal to use while operating a motor vehicle in CA without the use of a handsfree device??

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23123.htm

(e) This section does not apply to a person when using a digital two-way radio that utilizes a wireless telephone that operates by depressing a push-to-talk feature and does not require immediate proximity to the ear of the user, and the person is driving one of the following vehicles:

(e) This section does not apply to a person when using a digital two-way radio that utilizes a wireless telephone that operates by depressing a push-to-talk feature and does not require immediate proximity to the ear of the user, and the person is driving one of the following vehicles:

Some two way radios may require a license to operate depending on wattage I know the NSXCA has a license which may cover there use.

You forgot the rest of it.
(1) (A) A motor truck, as defined in Section 410, or a truck tractor, as defined in Section 655, that requires either a commercial class A or class B driver’s license to operate.

(B) The exemption under subparagraph (A) does not apply to a person driving a pickup truck, as defined in Section 471.

(2) An implement of husbandry that is listed or described in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 36000) of Division 16.

(3) A farm vehicle that is exempt from registration and displays an identification plate as specified in Section 5014 and is listed in Section 36101.

(4) A commercial vehicle, as defined in Section 260, that is registered to a farmer and driven by the farmer or an employee of the farmer, and is used in conducting commercial agricultural operations, including, but not limited to, transporting agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to, or from, a farm.

(5) A tow truck, as defined in Section 615.

(f) This section does not apply to a person driving a schoolbus or transit vehicle that is subject to Section 23125.

(g) This section does not apply to a person while driving a motor vehicle on private property.

(h) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2008, and shall remain in effect only until July 1, 2011, and, as of July 1, 2011, is repealed.

Note that the NSX is NOT any of those vehicles listed.

Last edited:
Some two way radios may require a license to operate depending on wattage I know the NSXCA has a license which may cover there use.

Yes, their license covers their use (if it's not expired), but I don't think it does in a moving vehicle without a headset.

You forgot the rest of it.

Note that the NSX is NOT any of those vehicles listed.

It falls under this:
(2) An implement of husbandry that is listed or described in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 36000) of Division 16.

(h) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2008, and shall remain in effect only until July 1, 2011, and, as of July 1, 2011, is repealed.

It falls under this:

Ahh good eye!

Definition of implement of husbandry.. (being recently married, I thought it would apply to me and I'd be exempt, but apparently the definition is different than I expected..)
V C Section 36000 Implements of Husbandry Defined
Implements of Husbandry Defined
36000. An "implement of husbandry" is a vehicle which is used exclusively in the conduct of agricultural operations.

An implement of husbandry does not include a vehicle if its existing design is primarily for the transportation of persons or property on a highway, unless specifically designated as such by some other provision of this code.

Here's what is in effect after July 1, 2011:

NOTE: The preceding section is repealed January 1, 2011, at which time the following section becomes operative.
23123 (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving.

(b) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a base fine of twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense and fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense.

(c) This section does not apply to a person using a wireless telephone for emergency purposes, including, but not limited to, an emergency call to a law enforcement agency, health care provider, fire department, or other emergency services agency or entity.

(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.

(e) This section does not apply to a person driving a schoolbus or transit vehicle that is subject to Section 23125.

(f) This section does not apply to a person while driving a motor vehicle on private property.

(g) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2011.

Finally, based on this California CHP FAQ, push-to-talk features can not be used without a hands-free device while operating a motor vehicle.. (see page 2)
http://www.chp.ca.gov/pdf/media/cell_phone_faq.pdf
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...longer-exempt-from-hand-free-driving-law.html

Last edited:
Ahh good eye!

Definition of implement of husbandry.. (being recently married, I thought it would apply to me and I'd be exempt, but apparently the definition is different that I expected..)

Here's what is in effect after July 1, 2011:

Finally, based on this California CHP FAQ, push-to-talk features can not be used without a hands-free device while operating a motor vehicle.. (see page 2)
http://www.chp.ca.gov/pdf/media/cell_phone_faq.pdf
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...longer-exempt-from-hand-free-driving-law.html

The Motorola Two Way Radios I use and have suggested have a Voice Operated Transmission feature aka VOX .... which is considered hands free

I thank my lucky stars every morning I have NOT yet been implemented to husbandry.

So you thank your lucky stars for not having to get up every morning to work on a farm?:tongue:

An "implement of husbandry" is a vehicle which is used exclusively in the conduct of agricultural operations.

LOL

I neither own a combine harvester nor a ring on my finger. I'm thankful for both wise a$$

LOL

I can definitely be that:biggrin: and suprised the wife has put up with me for 20 years.

My wife and I have discuss this topic quite a bit over the over the past. It could be as simple as having a conference call where everybody is on the same line. The issue is there isnt always reception where you are at so that idea isn't fool proof. So I'm wondering if a Bluetooth app might work, or even adhoc using each phone's wireless abilities to daisy chain a communication link.

An NSXCA ComApp would be way cooler than having to buy an overpriced walkytalky.

Bluetooth only works within a distance of 15 feet. So unless you master driving very very close BT will not work.

For your 2nd idea to work you would need the phones to be on the same wireless IP network, which means a router or server to administer the addresses, multiple access points in multiple cars to increase signal propigation and a smart and iphone application on everybody's device to do voice over IP.

Easier and cheaper to buy a two way radio!!

Last edited:
Back