Club Radio Group Buy

Just finished up with a monthly meet at South Coast Acura and met a bunch of new owners and soon to be owners. Got talking about the drives we've had and the one that Les has posted for the 20th near Temecula and it seems to have stirred a lot of interest. The topic of Club Radios came up.

I don't have one and would like one. They are a nice tool to possess on drives and on some of the bigger drives are required. With all the new people now involved, I thought it would be a good time to create a "group buy" so that all of us could get a good price on club radios and accessories.

So two questions I pose;

• For those in the know, where can we find a vendor to supply us with radios and accessories in the band we need?
  • How many would sign up and purchase a radio of their own?
I'll start the list with me and everyone else, please add your name once we get a price. Thanks.

1. Valhalla
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?

Great topic and one that deserves some real discussion.

I want to pose this question: With all the advances in mobile phone technology and smart phones, is a radio still the best method for communication for the club?

I have been trying to consider all options at our disposal.

Juice - you pose a great question. My phone already plays music, does my turn-by-turn navigation, radar detection (Cobra bluetooth) and is my hands free phone. But it has not mastered being listened to by 30 other Primers at the same time.

My wife and I have discuss this topic quite a bit over the over the past. It could be as simple as having a conference call where everybody is on the same line. The issue is there isnt always reception where you are at so that idea isn't fool proof. So I'm wondering if a Bluetooth app might work, or even adhoc using each phone's wireless abilities to daisy chain a communication link.

An NSXCA ComApp would be way cooler than having to buy an overpriced walkytalky.

Most of the roads we recently traveled on had no cell reception. A party line wouldn't work well, as everyone could possibly talk all at once, which is why two way radios work well in situations like a drive.
The good radios are expensive and the cheap ones don't receive/transmit well at all.

Hopefully Scott chimes in too.

I've used the cheaper Motorola Talkabouts and they work decent in the canyons but only for a small group of say 8-10 max since 8-10 car lengths is about enough to not have the lead car be completely behind the mountain's blind spot at any given time.

I'm really impressed with the units that Scott and John let us use for the annual CCNSX drive but I believe entry level units are around $300+?

btw.. I'm NO radio expert at all but I can't see cellular being a practical option until the carriers put up more cell towers up there (not likely anytime soon). The most effective communication for these drives is broadcast not conference so my vote goes for radios.

Hopefully Scott chimes in too.

Here is my take on radios~

UHF radios can be expensive. However, I have seen radios for just over $100 to over $300. But you are only buying one. If you cannot afford $200.00 for a radio, maybe you should reconsider owning your NSX. If you purchase a radio, you will use it more than once year by going on sponsored and un-sponsored events. If you only plan on attending the CalCoastal Events or are still too "frugal" then continue to rent.

For drives UHF Two Way Radios are a must have! The FRS/GMRS radios do not have enough power to be effective and cellular service is never consistent in the canyons - NEVER! Business class radios are not perfect either. They are significantly more proven and reliable than FRS/GMRS. That is why we use them. Until there is a better mobile technology we are sticking with UHF Two Way Radios.

Name brand versus off name. There are some good deals on the Internet on off-brand radios. And who is to say these are not as good as name brands. The only problem I have with off-brand radios is the availability of batteries and accessories. Example - I have a Radio Shack model that was discontinued after I bought it. The batteries are no longer available, this is why we went to a hard-wired solution. My Motorola has been discontinued too. However, the batteries are still available. The same battery model number is used on current models.

Power is the most important feature on a radio. DON'T buy a 1 watt radio. They do not have sufficient power to work in the environments we put them through. You need a minimum of 2 watts and sometimes that is not good enough. 4 watts is preferred. As I said before I have found radios starting from $100.00 and these are 4 watts.

Bells and whistles - You also do not need a radio with a display. This makes the radio more expensive. You also don't need a programmable radio. We only use one UHF channel 464.55. So getting a 15 channel radio is overkill. Stick to the basics and you can keep your costs down. A multi-channel radio is good in case of emergencies (assuming you are not stuck in a dead zone). You can switch channels and attempt to find an active channel to call for help. Other than that, no benefit. Since we drive on public roads and are in groups it is highly unlikely you will ever be abandoned.

Doing a quick search I found this radio on the Internet.

This is why I started this thread. Thanks John & Scott for adding your vast experiences and opinions. Much appreciated.

Headsets should be a must for anyone getting a new one. I wonder what headsets are available for the older units like I have. Scott any idea? Or will I have to get a new one?

Headsets should be a must for anyone getting a new one. I wonder what headsets are available for the older units like I have. Scott any idea? Or will I have to get a new one?

Les - do a search for the manufacturer of your radio. Many of the large manufacturers use the same jack layout over different models and years. So you should not have too much problem finding a headset for your Uniden radios. If you cannot find one measure from center of the mic jack to center of the speaker speaker jack and then find a headset with this measurement. HTH.

Yes, it is a good idea to have a headset. There are a few caveats. The ones with VOX (voice activated) are great only if you are driving solo. The reason being every time you talk to your passenger it keys up the mic and everyone hears your conversation - this has been a major problem in the past. The opposite problem is if you have a headset the one wearing the headset is the only one that can hear the transmissions. Sometimes four ears are better than two.

IMO - When you have a passenger it is better to have them hold the radio and converse so the driver doesn't have to fumble with the radio while driving. Think safety!

Les, just buy a new one, the "hey l crrrr es, are we turni crrrrrr g right or lef crrrr" just gets old lol. Buy a new good one. We just got new radios at wirk 10000x better. Light weight, longer range( car length range would be about 200 cars lol). Les, buy a new one or rock the motorolla i use;)

Les - do a search for the manufacturer of your radio. Many of the large manufacturers use the same jack layout over different models and years. So you should not have too much problem finding a headset for your Uniden radios. If you cannot find one measure from center of the mic jack to center of the speaker speaker jack and then find a headset with this measurement. HTH.

Yes, it is a good idea to have a headset. There are a few caveats. The ones with VOX (voice activated) are great only if you are driving solo. The reason being every time you talk to your passenger it keys up the mic and everyone hears your conversation - this has been a major problem in the past. The opposite problem is if you have a headset the one wearing the headset is the only one that can hear the transmissions. Sometimes four ears are better than two.

IMO - When you have a passenger it is better to have them hold the radio and converse so the driver doesn't have to fumble with the radio while driving. Think safety!

I would only use it driving solo so I don't have to fumble with the radio.

So what makes & models should we be looking for. If Uniden is not that good, other than Motorola, what else should we be looking for? And once found, is there a vendor you would recommend and might assist with a group buy? Thanks for the info and assistance.

CalCoastal NSX is selling some of our "Club Radios"

If you are looking for an inexpensive radio for NSX drives, this is the deal for you. These are the Radio Shack 5 watt, 8 channel radios model #19-1208 used on the Canyon Drive last month.

All the radios for sale have been hardwired for use with a 12volt accessory plug (cigarette lighter). Never worry about charging the radio before a drive - they are plug and play!!

User Manual available here. Every radio is set to frequency 464.55 MHz.

We are asking $20.00 each. SoCal buyers only. We don't want to hassle shipping. These are used and modified, no warranty is expressed or implied.

Limited quantities available. If you are interested contact us via a PM. We will accept PayPal or cash only.

Payment received from: (These are in the order from PayPal)
1. GO KRT
2. RYU
3. liftnot
4. JC
5. coolNSX

Last edited:
CalCoastal NSX is selling some of our "Club Radios"

If you are looking for an inexpensive radio for NSX drives, this is the deal for you. These are the Radio Shack 5 watt, 8 channel radios model #19-1208 used on the Canyon Drive last month.

All the radios for sale have been hardwired for use with a 12volt accessory plug (cigarette lighter). Never worry about charging the radio before a drive - they are plug and play!!

User Manual available here. Every radio is set to frequency 464.55 MHz.

We are asking $20.00 each. SoCal buyers only. We don't want to hassle shipping. These are used and modified, no warranty is expressed or implied.

Limited quantities available. If you are interested contact us via a PM. We will accept PayPal or cash only.

This is a good deal. The RS 19-1208 is a great radio.

If you are still offering, I'll take one. I'll need it for the drive on the 20th. PM me details of where and when to pick it up.

I'm still searching for an upgrade and will purchase a new one once Go Krt has finished his research but this one will be a handy backup/spare. Thanks.

If any become available for shipping let me know.

Keep in mind thou with a 5 watt radio you transmit further which is good but those with a lets say 2 watt radio maybe able to hear you but there range will be significantly less when transmitting. In most cases if the cars are together you will never need anything more then 2 watts because the cars will be within a mile of each other but I have had cases where the group got seperated and we lost contact

Back