Chips on Front windshield.

in the UK we only have the choice of OEM or nothing... when i was looking for one, there are US alternative manufacturers...

rockauto.com list some at significantly reduced prices (tho shipping to UK killed that option for me!), just depends on your tint/topstrip

you'll probably need the 2 pieces for the top trim, and possibly the bottom trim clips as they can/do get brittle

I replaced mine this summer and also had to replace the molding as when they remove the glass the molding comes with it and difficult to remove and try to save the molding since they are plastic..........they were not expensive and I got mine covered thru insurance along with the glass.........not sure about down there.

The reason you're seeing a huge difference in price is beginning in 1997 they changed from a blue-tinted glass to a heat-absorbing, green-tinted glass. The 1997-2005 windshield (part number 73111-SL0-A02) lists for $2018, the 1991-1996 (73111-SL0-506) for $968. Those are list prices, and then you can typically find 25 percent discounts from list. If you get the earlier version for a '97-05 NSX, its look may not match the rest of the glass on your car. So that may be something you might want to consider. (The other five less expensive parts - moldings and fasteners - are the same for all years.)

Last edited:
The reason you're seeing a huge difference in price is beginning in 1997 they changed from a blue-tinted glass to a heat-absorbing, green-tinted glass. The 1997-2005 windshield (part number 73111-SL0-A02) lists for $2018, the 1991-1996 (73111-SL0-506) for $968. Those are list prices, and then you can typically find 25 percent discounts from list. If you get the earlier version for a '97-05 NSX, its look may not match the rest of the glass on your car. So that may be something you might want to consider. (The other five less expensive parts - moldings and fasteners - are the same for all years.)

Damn! Mine is 2000. But it is a good information to know. Thanks, buddy.

Last edited:
That's crazy!!! I had to replace my first nsx's windshield after a gravel truck dropped rocks on freeway was back in like 2004. Luckily they covered it and sent out a aftermarket replacement, but I said this isn't a civic and I want an oem replacement, after a phone call or two they agreed...but I think it was only like $500 back then...$2000 is crazy!!! You can get aftermarket for a fraction of that price.

I think it was only like $500 back then...$2000 is crazy!!!
Sounds like you didn't bother reading the previous posts, about how there's a big difference in price - AND COLOR - between the '91-96 and the '97-05. That's what most of the difference in price is all about. You can still buy a new '91-96 windshield for around $700. But his is a 2000, so it's around $1500 discounted. (And you probably shouldn't expect aftermarket ones to be available in the same kind of reflective glass and color for the '97-05.)

I did read it... Still sounds crazy!

Would opt for the 91-96 ...

- - - Updated - - -

Just did a quick quote on safelite.com and was quoted $168 for 1992 and $188 for 2002

My cheap ass would being going that route unless someone else's insurance is paying for:biggrin:

Guys, throw a rock at the windshield, call the insurance company, and have it replaced for a fraction. Most insurance companies do not consider this an accident anyhow. Mine costed me 250$ for a windshield, all new trim, and a new cowl trim.

It is my understanding that the OEM windshields are much lighter compared to aftermarket (safeglass etc..) ones, is that correct? Might be another reason to go OEM.

Wish I could claim my windshield on insurance, but my state is not included in any insurance for replacement. aaaghgh

I called my insurance and reported that I have a windshield chip. They asked me " is it bigger than a dollar?" and I replied " No". The bottom line, my insurance would not replace the windshield that is less than a dollar size, but they would pay for fixing the chip, which I already did from Pepboys. However, I still see the chip and just stopped fracture line from running longer, but not happy. Anyway, they allowed me to pick any shop to repair it under CA laws and I called the professional windshield repair to come out. They sent 2 young kids to the house .... one asked me if he could take the picture of the car :rolleyes: while the other said " that is the best you gonna get, you can't make the fracture disappear". I asked the 2 young adults to give a quote to replace the windshield. The owner called back later and quoted $2,800 with OEM windshield, but much cheaper with aftermarket windshield and need to leave the car for overnight ( smell like gonna have a joy ride, while the car is in their shop). I still have not called the insurance back yet. Probably, they will not pay unless I throw a hammer on it. LOL

I would leave it rather replacing it with aftermarket windshield. The chip on my windshield is < 1 cm.

- - - Updated - - -

It is my understanding that the OEM windshields are much lighter compared to aftermarket (safeglass etc..) ones, is that correct? Might be another reason to go OEM.

I thought it is the other way around. The weight would not matter to me, it would be better to match the same color with rest of the glasses like NSXtasy stated.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've had repairs done to windshield chips half a dozen times, and I've been very satisfied each time. No, the repaired chip does not become totally invisible, but it looks way better than when it first happened, and the repair keeps it from spreading. The company I used is called Novus and you can click here for more information. (Oh, and I've had the same Novus repair guy doing repairs for me for twenty years. He's an absolute professional, as knowledgeable as they come.)

Last edited:
FWIW, I've had repairs done to windshield chips half a dozen times, and I've been very satisfied each time. No, the repaired chip does not become totally invisible, but it looks way better than when it first happened, and the repair keeps it from spreading. The company I used is called Novus and you can click here for more information. (Oh, and I've had the same Novus repair guy doing repairs for me for twenty years. He's an absolute professional, as knowledgeable as they come.)

They are local , Chico ca. Thanks, buddy. I will them a call.

Yup! Most insurance will cover the repair for small chips, but will not replace the windshield. If they do, they will only pay cheap windshield and after the deductible.

Back