Chev small block ??

LS1NSX said:
Hrm well, I know a guy that stuffed a LS1 into a Ultima and used a Porche Transaxle, the problems with the intake seem like they would be easily fixed with a cintifical supercharger or a turbo. If you haven't noticed already I plan on doing this and succeeding.....

Good luck and post lots of pics :biggrin:.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a used vette?

Just an FYI,

the newest grandPrix uses a Transversely mounted V8 and front wheel drive i believe.

just fuel for thought.

Re: Stuffing or no stuffing

Ojas said:
Maybe I am missing your point, but...
Hrm well, it’s not really stuffing if it’s meant to be mated to that drivetrain. The Ultima is designed from the factory to be used with a Chevy small block engine and a Porsche G50 transaxle. In fact, this is the drivetrain that is exclusively supported by the factory.

So, if you are suggesting that being able to stuff an LS1 into an NSX is not much different than doing the same with an Ultima, I disagree, but wish you luck. :)
last i checked the ultima was a nissan and was not designed to use a chevy small block..... but i could be wrong

as far as putting one in an NSX why not, its about time people who own this car realize that its time for being "cutting edge" and untouchable is over....

CUT THE THING UP!!!!

Good luck getting a G50 and the NSX motor mounted transversely.
The G50 is a rather long transmission.
just buy a Ultima and call it a day.

Altima is a Nissan, The Ultima is a completely different thing.
The Ultima's motor and upside down G50 are mounted inline.
I think they also turn the trans upside down as well, ala 962.
Without looking, isn't a tube frame as well.?

Truely exotic though. I would love one.

LS1NSX said:
I know a guy that stuffed a LS1 into a Ultima
If he did, he probably made the car slower.

You can read more about the Ultima here.

LS1NSX said:
and used a Porche Transaxle
I know a guy who left his used transaxle out sitting on his porch for a couple of weeks.

LS1NSX said:
the problems with the intake seem like they would be easily fixed with a cintifical supercharger or a turbo. If you haven't noticed already I plan on doing this and succeeding.....
Cintifical, huh? I think you will find it a real learning experience... ;)

I know it has already been said a few times, But why not add a low 6-8lb of boost along with the usual bolt ons and work on fine tuning the hell out of it to make near 400hp, and save 10-20k in labor and fabbing , damn a nsx with near 400 hp has got to be a low 11 sec car. BTW... it is an NSX it is a fine work of art, enjoy it for what it is :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
NSXCELERATE said:
I know it has already been said a few times, But why not add a low 6-8lb of boost along with the usual bolt ons and work on fine tuning the hell out of it to make near 400hp, and save 10-20k in labor and fabbing , damn a nsx with near 400 hp has got to be a low 11 sec car. BTW... it is an NSX it is a fine work of art, enjoy it for what it is :biggrin: :biggrin:
check this out. everything you wanted to know...

http://www.britishv8.org/swaps/examples.htm

more stuff...

IZE/WEIGHT/DISPLACEMENT CHART

In this chart, length is from the bellhousing mounting surface to the front of the water pump pulley, height is from the bottom of the pan to the top of the air cleaner, and width is at the widest point of the engine, including the stock exhaust manifolds. The data supplied by Street Rodder magazine show the Ford engine to be taller than the other two, but most other sources I've seen describe the Chevy engine as taller than the Ford. My own measurements on the Buick V6 (basically the same design as the 215 V8, less two cylinders) indicate that the BOP/R V8 is also taller than the Ford.
Width Length Height Weight
BOP/R 26 28 27 320
Ford 24 29 27.5 460
Chevy 26 28 27 575
Chevy/w alum heads 26 28 27 525
Ford/w alum heads 24 29 27 424
TR6 22 29.5 25 460
Buick V6 26 28 29 ?412?
The first three entrys came from a recent issue of "Street Rodder" magazine, and are reasonably accurate, except for the weights. Without knowing precisely what ancillaries are included, a real comparsion can't be made for weights. Length can vary tremendously by the choice of water pump and pulleys, and height will depend on the intake set-up. The fourth entry was obtained by subtracting the weight savings of aluminum heads from the third entry. The last three entrys came from my own measurements, and are very precise. The weights given include everything required to make the engine work - starter, alternator, flywheel, clutch, intake, carburetors, exhaust, distributor - everything except oil and water! In this trim, the weight for the Ford in entry two becomes 519 pounds, from actual measurement! The BOP/R and Chevy weights will most likely go up a similar amount in the same trim.

This is not a flame, but why ruin a perfectly balanced car?
Honda spent tons of $$$$$$$$$ getting the engine weight
down for a reason.

I would suggest picking on something else to butcher.
I have seen 911's, MG's, Sunbeam's, 2002's, 914's, Spitfire's, Miatia's, 240Z's,
510's, & too many others to list. Personally I would pick on something else.
Why build a straight line car out of one of the best handling,
best balanced cars in the world?
Instead why not just buy a Pantera?
(Less money with better results)
The 351 can be a real Monster and will still be worth something
when your done with it.
In actuality, most that attempt this type of thing
are doing it for the 1st time. Most folks only do this type of project once.
(for a reason)
This is just my opinion.......
Worth what you paid for it. :biggrin:

I don't see why you guys don't get this the LS1 is about the same weight if not lighter than the NSX engine.

Besides some of the greatest iniavations have been called herasy and now they are as common as anything else.

LS1NSX said:
I don't see why you guys don't get this the LS1 is about the same weight if not lighter than the NSX engine.

Besides some of the greatest iniavations have been called herasy and now they are as common as anything else.

great if you can get it to work, but the challenge is just that, getting it to work, go read some of factor X posts, they are running a FI 360 hp stock block and spraying 100 shot 460 hp, with a nsx it all comes down to proper tuning , there car has been beaten on and has lasted.

Well, you got me, I do not know the exact weights of both engines.
But how can an All alum 6 weigh more than an All alum 8?
Not to mention the transaxle.
If you do go through with this, you might want to look
at a ZF 5 speed set up. It will be one of the few that can handle the torque
(but be for warned $$$$$$$$$$$$$).
I don't mean to slam you, but am not 100% sure you understand what engineering, fabrication, financial requirements are needed to make this project a reality. Most of these projects end up a large assortment of parts
that sit for yrs until they are sold for pennies on the dollar.
And if completed, they are never really finished.
Continuos work is required for one reason or another, constant issues.
But to some, thats 1/2 the fun!
I will admit to having swapped many things around on cars and bikes.
But have never attempted anything requiring this much
Design engineering & money.

If I had an xtra $50k+ laying around I would do something else with it.
Don't kid yourself, its not going to be a budget swap, no matter what the cover of HotRod magazine says. :biggrin:

MCM said:
Well, you got me, I do not know the exact weights of both engines.
But how can an All alum 6 weigh more than an All alum 8?

4 cam shafts vs. 1
24 rockers vs. 16
giant heads vs. small ones.

I see that as the main sources of extra weight on the NSX engine. The pushrod V8 is undoubtedly lower tech, but it does way very little for it's power potential.

I think that an LS1 / LS2 / LS6 NSX is a bitchin idea. I think it would stomp just about any supercharged / turbocharged NSX on both the road course and the drag strip. I also know that it is a HUGE project that you will get very little support on. You should hear the cries of horror that my buddy with the Subaru powered 912 gets on the Pelican board. It's just the nature of things. On the flip side, occasionally a combination is so good that it becomes a milestone. Reference an old hotrodder named Carroll who decided that a Ford V8 would be pretty cool in a little british roadster made by AC.

I'd love to do a V8 NSX. I wouldn't start with a good car though. I've been keeping my eyes out for the right test bed, which would be one that has been front end totalled or rolled, and then stripped. If I could get my hands on an in-tact engine bay and rear suspension for a grand or two then I'd be trying it myself. So far the right test bed hasn't crossed my path. Once I had the details worked out in the junk car, then I'd start looking for a roller to transfer it in to.

LS1NSX said:
Because, quite frankly, you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like you got this idea that you think is cool, but you have no practical experience whatsoever. (In fact, no offense, but in this regard you sound an awful lot like a certain NSXprime member a few years ago who turned out to be fourteen years old.)

Can you please tell us exactly how many engine transplants you've done into cars not designed to accept them?

For that matter, have you even done an engine transplant into a somewhat similar car?

Tell us what your experience is in this area. Tell us what you've done, and tell us how you've worked around a few of the problems you've encountered, so that we can know that you're serious.

Mostly I've done LT1 TPI an LS1 into 3rd gen camaros(lots of room to work)
I helped a friend put a TPI into his 300zx and we had a few problems with mounting but that was fixed with some custom mounting brakets. The 300 was a rolling chassis and need an engine so we put that in there we've had to put in a few new parts:cam heads, but thats about it.
I've put and LT4 block into a 89 camaro no problem except for the kmember which was a bitch to work around. I've also helped do an off body restoration on a 69 camaro that my friend owns he put an ls1 in there once again it needed new mounting brakets.
The reason I want to do this is because I have a passion for cars and want to do something that people would think is cool, and would be a 1 off deal. I mean really how many LS1 NSX's do you see none, that may be because it's hard but I don't care I like a challenge I have expeirience in working with LS1 and LT1's so doing this would be a dream for me. I know I'll gey ridiculed by purists but I really don't care.

I thought that I would be accepted for trying something new not bashed.
Reminds me of a friend that put an LS1 into a Foxbody mustang, when he raced it at the track everyone thought it was awsome(8 sec car) but when he took it to a car show a few days later he popped the hood and everyone told him he ruind a perfectly good car and that it was dumb to put a chevy engine into a ford. Seems to me it worked pretty well for him as long as he thought he did something cool.

I think the reason that you dont like this idea is because you don't want to see some prehistoric not top of the line pushrod engine get in the way of your awsome turbo or supercharged NSX.
I would rather start with an engine that responds well to mods and weighs less than something that is hard to work on and is not tech that I'm familier with.

All in all I think if I do finish this it will be awsome and I might just have done the thing I set out to do with that car.
PROVE PEOPLE WRONG

Thumbs up LS1NSX, hope you can pull it off. Keep us informed on progress and all.

OK, your right, its a great idea, not sure why it has not already been done. keep us posted on its progress.
:biggrin:
Do not confuse a purist, with a realist.
And am very familar with the AC Bristol / 260 transplant.
As far as car selection, go for one thats been hit hard in the rear.
The rear frame/unibody section will have little remaining after the transplant.
Out of morbid curiosity,
What does a new Vette V8 with a ZF weigh wet?
Whats a NSX engine / trans weigh wet? :confused:

Zf?? Don't know about that, but the newZ06's curb weight is 3130lbs. Trying to find the LS7's actualy weight but can't I'll post it when I find it.
If I had the money to do an LS7 swap I sure would but I'll stick with the LS1

Last edited:
LS1NSX said:
I assume that's the transmission.

I would be surprised if the Corvette drivetrain weighs less than the NSX's, but I don't know what the figures are.

Good luck with your project, and let us know how it goes! (Don't forget to take photos!)

I'll take lots of pics and do a step by step overview of what I did, then when its done.

TO THE TRACK I SAY :biggrin:

Back