Chev small block ??

but why would you, even if you could?

:eek: I also have never heard of this being done; however, why would you even if you could? :confused: Part of the NSX's appeal is it's low weight-to-power ratio and I think, and feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong, the engine block & heads are aluminium on the NSX and are not on most, if not all, Chevy small blocks. Therefore, although adding a small V-8 or something similar may increase the hp, it would detract from the weight advantage, which adds to the NSX's superb handling ability.

I know -- different strokes for different folks, so no flames please.

But in this case, I just don't see how it could be anymore effective than just spending the $$ on a SC or a turbo setup instead..... but that's just my opinion, I could just be blinded by NSX's spell over me.:D

Adam

Re: but why would you, even if you could?

xxmerlynxx said:
:eek: I also have never heard of this being done; however, why would you even if you could? :confused: Part of the NSX's appeal is it's low weight-to-power ratio and I think, and feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong, the engine block & heads are aluminium on the NSX and are not on most, if not all, Chevy small blocks. Therefore, although adding a small V-8 or something similar may increase the hp, it would detract from the weight advantage, which adds to the NSX's superb handling ability.

I know -- different strokes for different folks, so no flames please.

But in this case, I just don't see how it could be anymore effective than just spending the $$ on a SC or a turbo setup instead..... but that's just my opinion, I could just be blinded by NSX's spell over me.:D

Adam

I'm assuming that an all aluminum V8 wouldn't make that much of a difference in weight, but will cost a bunch of $$$$$. The V8 could probably have the advantage of making more hp & torque. I've seen a V8 conversion on an RX7........."Wild!!!!!!" Had to look twice when you expect to hear a buzzing sound but instead hear a loud & deep thump coming from the exhaust of an import. Jus' my $.02:D

and feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong, the engine block & heads are aluminium on the NSX and are not on most, if not all, Chevy small blocks.

The LS1 and LS6 engines used in the Vette are all aluminum (block, heads).

The Z06 engine weighs about 450 lbs fully dressed.

I don't think that the DOHC V6 used in our NSX weighs that much less. Does anyone know what it weighs?

The Z06 engine is certainly much more narrow than the NSX engine although it's probably longer.

The cost is fairly reasonable and there's also plenty of affordable performance enhancements too.

I think it would be an interesting swap if it could be done.

-Jim

Last edited:
V8 NSX

A small block Chevy can displace as much as 434 cubic inches,
and with aluminum heads and manifold can weigh in at around
450 lbs. An engine setup with EFI/NA is capable of producing
at least 700 h.p. on pump gas. I know from experience this
engine can be built for around $ 8,000 (max). (I have this engine
in my jet boat).

Check out http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Dont get me wrong. I love my new NSX (91 Black on Ivory). The technology
is amazing. The reliability is awesome. I would never consider butchering a
perfectly good car. But one that's not so perfect ?? It would be like a reliable Pantera.

Just for grins does anyone know what a stock NSX engine weighs ?

I'm pretty sure the LS1/LS6 does not weigh much more than the NSX motor, maybe even a little less.

According to Lud, the NSX motor weighs "487 lbs. with accessories and fluids." Some discussion on weight can also be found here.

Even though we're talking about ripping the soul out of the NSX :D and I have no idea how to perform such a swap... I wonder... does the LS1 turn in the correct direction to mate to the NSX transmission?

Last edited:
You could mate the chev motor to a porsche 915 trans axle and mount it longitudinally if you removed part of the rear fire wall. :) I think the chev block is to long to mount to the stock nsx transmission- the overall width would exceed the dimensions of the engine bay. Weight distribution would also be a factor.

The layout of the NSX is similar to the Pontiac Fiero, in that they are both mid engine, longitudinal, V6 configurations. A lot of Chevy small block conversions have been done on the Fieros. Probably the best site for info is

www.V8archie.com

A couple of problems with the Fiero conversion is that the Chevy V8 puts out a tremendous amount of torque, causing frame, clutch, and tranny problems. Another thing is that the fan belt water pump pulley intrudes into the wheel well on most conversions.

I have to admit that I keep thinking about buying a Lambo Diablo with a blown engine and putting a reliable Chevy in there. I could then use the Diablo as my daily driver and save the NSX for special occasions.

PorknBeanz said:

I have to admit that I keep thinking about buying a Lambo Diablo with a blown engine and putting a reliable Chevy in there. I could then use the Diablo as my daily driver and save the NSX for special occasions.

I hear allan coming... :)

PorknBeanz said:
The layout of the NSX is similar to the Pontiac Fiero, in that they are both mid engine, longitudinal, V6 configurations. A lot of Chevy small block conversions have been done on the Fieros. Probably the best site for info is

www.V8archie.com

A couple of problems with the Fiero conversion is that the Chevy V8 puts out a tremendous amount of torque, causing frame, clutch, and tranny problems. Another thing is that the fan belt water pump pulley intrudes into the wheel well on most conversions.

If you found this Lamborghini or TR perhaps it would be better to put a Mercedes 12 cylinder engine in there. The HP would be similar and the reliability would be there as well.

A Cadillac Northstar engine may be a good choice since they are mounted to a transaxle. I know people have put these in Fieros too. The Northstar is all aluminum and dual overhead cam. Only downside is no manual gearbox that I know of.

Does anyone know how the Consulier (Mosler MT900) mounts their engine? They took a Chevy V8 and mounted it mid-engine.

Accord-R said:
Does anyone know how the Consulier (Mosler MT900) mounts their engine? They took a Chevy V8 and mounted it mid-engine.
Longitudinal with Porsche transmission.

Also, Ultima GTR uses a longitudinally oriented small block with a Porsche transmission.

I have thought of this MANY times. I've stuffed many Chevy V8's into Fiero's, with amazing results. I even know someone that fit a Caddy 501 into a Fiero! The NSX has a LOT more room in the engine bay for this, and you could easily mate the V8 to the existing tranny, with a new bellhousing and some other minor modifications.

If I was to find a NSX with a blown motor, I'd be on this in a heartbeat, and in fact, I've been looking for one for this already. :D

SR

The first thing I did when I got my NSX was put it on a lift and take a tape measure to the engine. It's about 17 inches long from bellhousing surface to timiing cover surface. A small block Chevrolet is a bit more than 21 inches (not including water pump), if my memory is correct. There is no room on the right side of the car for the extra 4 inches, so the entire transaxle assembly would have to be shifted to the left to make room for the longer block. This means changing the existing axle mounting locations to keep them properly located with respect to suspension geometry, new transaxle mounts, and lots more. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, especially if the car is running fine as it is. The idea of having 600+ HP for a relatively cheap price is quite appealing, but the amount of work to put it in the car would be significant.

That being said, if an NSX minus engine, transmission, and rear suspension were to fall into my lap it would be tempting to give it a try. It would probably be easiest to build a custom subframe assembly to hold the engine, trans, and suspension, then fabricate some a-arms, get some spindles from somewhere, and so forth. None of this is especially difficult to do. I have no idea what kind of transaxle would be best for this thing, but given the number of import FWD drag cars that are putting lots of power to the ground it seems like it wouldn't be impossible to find something that would work. Designing the suspension geometry for proper roll center, anti-squat, camber gain, and so forth wouldn't be too difficult. It would probably be wise to stay close to the OEM parameters since NSXs are fine handling vehicles anyway. The car would be pretty quick and certainly surprise a lot of people. With the good looks it already has and over twice the horsepower of a stock NSX, it would be an awesome car. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been done yet.

John Crawford

Heh...

Since Honda seems unwilling to develop their own V8...

AND

Since they have this engine deal with GM where Saturn is now putting Honda V6s into VUEs...

It would be kind of neat if Honda did a similar deal with Chevy.

The next generation (C6) small block engine looks like a real winner. It's expected to produce about 425 HP. The next Z06 version will be in the 500 HP range and contain many titanium components (valvetrain, rods). And the weight should even be less. Rumors of the new engine are in the 400 lb range.

-Jim

Last edited:
I have put TPI 350s in my Jaguar XJS and my Porsche 911SC. The jag worked out great. It was easy with the kit from John's. I did two conversions in the jags and both were fun cars.

The Porsche was a nightmare. Clutch chatter, overheating, leaks, never ending! The chevy motor was not meant to be jammed into the rear engine car.

Side story:

I was in Stevenson, Wa in my Jag one day and I saw a triumph Spitfire with a really ugly bonnet (Hood). The car was parked on the side of the road. I asked the owner what was under the custom bonnet and he had somehow stuffed a 454 in the damn thing.

I could not believe it. When I asked him why he replied "I am a mechanic, that is what I do." I asked "Why a 454?" "It was in my yard and would not fit in my motorcycle." he replied.

PorknBeanz said:
The layout of the NSX is similar to the Pontiac Fiero, in that they are both mid engine, longitudinal, V6 configurations. A lot of Chevy small block conversions have been done on the Fieros.
NSX has its V6 mounted transverse (crosswise)... Ferrari and Lambo mount theirs longitudinally (lengthwise) allowing for longer multi-cylinder setups.

If you switch to overhead intake plumbing, there should be room on an NSX for a short transverse V8. I've seen some modded Japanese cars, and there's a LOT of room on the left side once you relocate the intake.

PB170859-vi.jpg

Also, relocating the OE coolant overflow tank, similar to what's done in the BBSC system, frees up a lot of room.

bbscchuckP5261045-vi.jpg

Hrm well, I know a guy that stuffed a LS1 into a Ultima and used a Porche Transaxle, the problems with the intake seem like they would be easily fixed with a cintifical supercharger or a turbo. If you haven't noticed already I plan on doing this and succeeding.....

Stuffing or no stuffing

Maybe I am missing your point, but...
LS1NSX said:
Hrm well, I know a guy that stuffed a LS1 into a Ultima and used a Porche Transaxle
Hrm well, it’s not really stuffing if it’s meant to be mated to that drivetrain. The Ultima is designed from the factory to be used with a Chevy small block engine and a Porsche G50 transaxle. In fact, this is the drivetrain that is exclusively supported by the factory.

So, if you are suggesting that being able to stuff an LS1 into an NSX is not much different than doing the same with an Ultima, I disagree, but wish you luck. :)

Last edited:
Back