check engine light on

Hi all!! can anyone knows why my 98 nsx check engine light on? with only 19000 miles.:confused: on this nsx. :( just happen today. thank you please input some info.:smile:

Hi all!! can anyone knows why my 98 nsx check engine light on? with only 19000 miles.:confused: on this nsx. :( just happen today. thank you please input some info.:smile:

Did you recently get gas? Check your gas cap to make sure it is tight. OBDII cars will throw a check engine light if your gas cap is loose. That is the most common cause for a CEL. I can't even count how many those I have cleared on people's cars. Pick up a cheap OBDII scanner ($50 and up) or borrow one and see what the code is. EVAP is usually the gas cap. You can clear it with the scanner and then see if it comes back.

Last edited:

With a 13 year old car it could be a lot of things. Let me know if you want to meet up and I can read the code for you.

With a 13 year old car it could be a lot of things. Let me know if you want to meet up and I can read the code for you.

Thank you!! Where I can meet you?? I live in Ewing n.j. P.s thanks all of you been kind and put a info.

Did you recently get gas? Check your gas cap to make sure it is tight. OBDII cars will throw a check engine light if your gas cap is loose. That is the most common cause for a CEL. I can't even count how many those I have cleared on people's cars. Pick up a cheap OBDII scanner ($50 and up) or borrow one and see what the code is. EVAP is usually the gas cap. You can clear it with the scanner and then see if it comes back.

Is there a special scanner for the NSX, or will any scanner work?

Any ODBII scanner should work.

-Just read the code
-Reset it (by reimoving the clock 7.5 Amp Fuse under the front hood)
-See if it comes back again

If it does come on again
-Read the code
-Look for a remedy

Update:

I reset the code at Acura and within hours the light was back on. I reset the code again at autozone and "knock on wood" it has stayed off. Then I started thinking... could the type of gas I am using have anything to do with it?

I didn't immediately correlate the fueling at a speedway with the engine light. But I have filled up at shell since then and now the light is off. I know that the gas cap can cause a check engine light with an error code of Evap.. or something like that.. but could cheap gas cause the 02 sensor to get covered in muck and throw a code?

My code was: P015541Front Primary HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

If at all possible I would love to avoid replacing the 2-300 dollar sensor, which of course is the most expensive of all the 02 sensors.

Thanks
Jman

Jason,

Your 97 has a 150K mile, 14 year warranty on the exhaust system which covers O2 sensors. If it's an O2, get it in to a dealer and it will be covered by Honda.

TSB 98-031

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I owe you one. This is going to save me a boat load of money. (almost 700 dollars - quote from acura). With this info it should be free of charge.

Thanks again

Jason

Jason,

Your 97 has a 150K mile, 14 year warranty on the exhaust system which covers O2 sensors. If it's an O2, get it in to a dealer and it will be covered by Honda.

TSB 98-031

I have a 1993 with what looks like the same problem. Do you know if there is a tsb which covers my year as well
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Back