CEL+TCS lights on and running on 5 cyl, HELP!!

I have read that other people having similar engine check codes, experienced a 4000 rpm rev limit. This however isn't happening on my car, even though running on 5 cil, I can rev it over 4000 rpm.

Haven't had much time over the last few weeks and have been on vacation for the last 2 weeks (has to be done too:rolleyes::biggrin:).

Came back home this tuesday and today finally got to it again.
- checked all connectors to do with the ignition, all are well
- checked for continuity on the wires of the 3rd cil coilpack connector to the first next wire loom connectors (just in case there was a bad wire), but all is well
- measured resistance on the coilpacks and all are within spec
- put in new 1 step cold irridium plugs as I now had the platinums out anyway
- measured ground and ign voltage on the igniter unit connector and all OK

Connected all again, started up and engine still running on 5 cil :mad:
- disconnected sparkplug voltage detection unit and ran the engine, got check codes 1316, 1317, 1318 and still running on 5 cil :mad: so that unit is probably OK

Starting to run out of options by now, only thing left is to exchange the igniter unit with another one. However with the CTSC on, I cannot get to one of the igniter bolts.

@ Larry Bastanza:
Is there a trick to get the igniter off without having to take off the complete CTSC??

If I do have to lift the CTSC, will I need a new gasket between it and the manifold, where do I get a new gasket?

@ Tinker, do you remember the price of the igniter, was it difficult to order, do any other Acura's use the same unit as I would need for my '98 3.2L?

I have 215/40/17 front and 265/35/18 rear tires. I would have preferred 275/35 on the rear, but the wheels came with these mounted. Would these sizes cause TCS problems? Would that then lead to the CEL problem I'm having?
No and no. Those two sizes should not cause TCS problems on any year NSX.

@ Tinker, do you remember the price of the igniter, was it difficult to order, do any other Acura's use the same unit as I would need for my '98 3.2L?

I'm pretty sure that the Igniter is shared throughout the NSX lineup. I want to say the cost was somewhere around $300.00 so try to swap one with a friend to determine that this is the problem before "throwing money at it". If everything goes back to normal, than $300.00 is a pretty cheap fix!

PROBLEM FOUND :smile:

I spoke to a friend yesterday and he still had a 3.0L '92 broken engine laying around with the igniter still on (all years NSX use the same igniter).

So he took it off and mailed it to me, I received it this morning.

Without taking the old one from under the CTSC, I managed to make a by-pass setup and connect it to both the connectors for a try-out.

Started up the engine and.................. VOILÁ problem solved running on all 6 again:biggrin:

So now will have to get a new igniter, lift the SC :mad: to get the old one off and install the new igniter and all should be well after that.

Still wonder what may have caused the igniter to fail as it is a full electronic part.

I do think the position of the igniter in the CTSC set-up, mounted snug under the SC may have something to do with it.

I can imagine it getting a lot warmer in that position as compared to original setup where it is fully exposed, so stays a lot cooler.
Possibly high temp with SC setup causes it to fail?
Possible design mistake with the CTSC?

I am quite relieved to have found the problem, I was starting to run out of options to check.
I also wonder if there is any way to measure the igniter unit itself, cannot find any check procedure in the workshop manual.

All people thanks a bunch for your advice:smile:

Last edited:
Still wonder what may have caused the igniter to fail as it is a full electronic part.

Gladly you've solved the problem so far. I've heard of igniters on other NSX's going bad so it's 'not uncommon'. And: Any electronic part can fail anytime esp. the ones exposed to vibrations. :wink:

Last edited:
Gladly you've solved the problem so far. I've heard of igniters on other NSX's going bad so it's 'not uncommon'. And: Any electronic part can fail anytime esp. the ones exposed to vibrations. :wink:

I know, but am still puzzled why a part that is designed to last for the car's lifetime, which hardly ever fails and in the few cases that it did fail was probably on high mileage cars, in my case already fails on my NSX with only 23K Mls

Last edited:
I know, but am still puzzled why a part that is designed to last for the car's lifetime, which hardly ever fails and in the few cases that it did fail was probably on high mileage cars, in my case already fails on my NSX with only 23K Mls

That seems early but what year is your car? Doesn't matter anyway as any electronic part can go out anytime.

My car is a '98 US Acura with presently just over 23K mls of which I put on about 1K mls myself since buying it in the US oct '07, shipping it to Europe and finally getting it registered feb of this year.

CTSC was installed at Acura dealership 2,5 years ago at 19,5 K mls
So the car has seen VERY little use, previous owner has kept it in as new condition for me to buy:rolleyes::biggrin:

Back