CEL and TCS light stay on...

ok, i'm exhausted from searching....found some posts that gave some insight, but i need to narrow this down...that being said, let me say that as of right now, i cannot pull the codes from the blue connector on the passenger side due to limited garage space/tools/time/patience (there is an aftermarket sub box that sticks out so much, i will have to remove that first before i can remove the panel covering the wires)...i will have to take this to someone that can pull it or purchase a code reader to hook up to the obd connector....anyway...

CEL came on one day after i came back from a trip...car had been sitting a week...took it to autozone an they said the code they pulled said o2 sensor....drove with it for a couple months like that and last week, i was doing some spirited shift-at-redline driving :biggrin: and i noticed the tcs button came on and stayed on....only the tcs button and the CEL were on and solid....it seemed to me that the throttle was especially 'touchy' on the drive home and by 'touchy', i mean that it felt like the car lurched a bit when i took my foot off the accelerator, much like when you're in 2nd gear and you lightly kick the accelerator repeatedly...that torque that makes that car jerk....that's what it felt like when i was decelerating on the way home a few times.....

anyway, i took it out for a spin today to see if this was driveable to a mechanic....everything seemed fine, however, i noticed that i now have a rpm governor of about 7k rpm....when i gun it and it hits 7k rpm, the governor kicks in much in the way that it would if you tried to go to redline and the car wasn't fully warmed up....the funny thing is that the thermostat was in the normal range and i had been driving for at least 20 minutes in 75 degree weather....

does anyone have any ideas for now until i can access those service codes?

first thing i'd suggest is stop driving it around at 7k with a CEL until you get it looked at! you really need over 7k to take it to a mechanic? best bet would be to get the speaker out and read the code! short the blue and read the flashes! even if you do get a OBD reader where's the connector?

when you put the sub back in make sure you leave the blue connector easily accessable!

ok, not much help, but neither is i've got a CEL light, what's up? and oh now the TCS is doing something and i can feel it!

on an aside is a '99 OBD1 or OBD2?

dunno why but i'm thinking of the mustang getting an engine flush!

Last edited:
well, i took it out to drive to see if it was 'normal' enough to drive it to a mechanic...it's not like i hit 7k repeatedly for the entire drive....twice and the first time i had to gun it to merge and the second time to was to see what the hell was going on with the first time....

not sure about the 99 being obd 1 or 2....and i'm not sure about where your obd connector is, but mine is in open view below the dash...i was opting to pop a reader onto that as it's a hell of a lot easier to plug in a reader than to get my 6ft frame down into the passenger side, pull out a sub and contort myself around to remove the covers underneath...

please understand that i appreciate ALL input, however, if you feel the need to rip on me for asking a question, i'd rather you just think to yourself 'this guy is an idiot' and not post at all....

you see, in life, not everything is black and white...sometimes life throws you curve balls....sometimes you get divorced, or your dog dies, or you have a kid, or you have to move, or you have a major family medical emergency, or you get laid off....in my case, i had the latter two happen at once....so forgive me if i drove around for a while with a CEL on my nsx....it just wasn't a priority at the time.... :mad:

and a mechanic just called me back so i'm taking it in tonight....

first thing i'd suggest is stop driving it around at 7k with a CEL until you get it looked at! you really need over 7k to take it to a mechanic? best bet would be to get the speaker out and read the code! short the blue and read the flashes! even if you do get a OBD reader where's the connector?

when you put the sub back in make sure you leave the blue connector easily accessable!

ok, not much help, but neither is i've got a CEL light, what's up? and oh now the TCS is doing something and i can feel it!

on an aside is a '99 OBD1 or OBD2?

dunno why but i'm thinking of the mustang getting an engine flush!

Last edited:
1999 is OBDII.

A TCS and CEL at the same time suggest a bad WSS (wheel speed sensor). Do a search on WSS and you'll see this is not unusual for these cars. The usual culprit is in the rear. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank you!!

1999 is obdii.

A tcs and cel at the same time suggest a bad wss (wheel speed sensor). Do a search on wss and you'll see this is not unusual for these cars. The usual culprit is in the rear. Good luck!

wheel sensor will trip out the abs as well.... well it did when one of mine went (rear)

mines obd1, so only has the blue connector, that's why i asked if the 99 is obd1 or 2... if it's 2 then just get it plugged and read! i didn't mean to rip on you, just need to be sensible when you have a CEL and don't know what's triggered it.

TCS could be wheel sensor/speed sensor/dodgy connection.

CEL could be just about anything connected with the engine

hence no way we can tell from this side of the keyboard without more info

Last edited:
1999 is OBDII.

A TCS and CEL at the same time suggest a bad WSS (wheel speed sensor). Do a search on WSS and you'll see this is not unusual for these cars. The usual culprit is in the rear. Good Luck!

While I agree that a bad WSS can sometimes be a problem, I believe you'll find that the people who had that problem also had a sporadic speedo at the same time. However, a TCS & CEL can also mean a variety of other things (as I'm finding out) such as a bad TCS; a bad ECU; and/or wiring issues .. just to name a few. Which, as other people have said, is why it's critical to know what the codes are.

While I agree that a bad WSS can sometimes be a problem, I believe you'll find that the people who had that problem also had a sporadic speedo at the same time. However, a TCS & CEL can also mean a variety of other things (as I'm finding out) such as a bad TCS; a bad ECU; and/or wiring issues .. just to name a few. Which, as other people have said, is why it's critical to know what the codes are.

Sporadic speedo is usually caused by the engine speed sensor (sometimes referred to as the vehicle speed sensor) which is located on the tranny. I didn't know the WSS had anything to do with the speedo??? I agree,the ECU codes should be pulled.

Last edited:
so what did your mechanic find out? were the TCS and CEL lights connected?

You really need to get the code. I had a P0135 which showed via a CEL & TCS. It was an O2 sensor.

You really need to get the code. I had a P0135 which showed via a CEL & TCS. It was an O2 sensor.

Same here.

OP, you must remember that there are 4 of them that will ultimately fail. Not too uncommon.

Could be lots of things. The 7k rpm limit sounds like the ECM is operating in back-up mode which could also indicate a problem with the ECM.

Mike

Back