Caution to potential buyers

Please don't take offense, but I'm getting sick and tired of hearing that statement, "You have to pay to play". I'm sure that statement is open to many interpretations (depending on its context), but to me it means that I should just admit defeat and pay ridiculous prices for service, parts, insurance, etc.

As a business owner, I would hate to just bend over and let "them" stick it to me. I'm the type to always look for options and solutions. I hope most of my fellow NSX Prime members feel the same way. I'm always thankful when companies like downforce, dali racing, SOS (just to name a few) build their business on great products and reasonable pricing. Let’s not simply give up and pay whatever prices. Instead we should pressure more companies and mechanics to give us more reasonable pricing.

You’re probably saying to yourself, why don’t you just take your business somewhere else. It’s just that sometimes seems, as if there is a conspiracy against us and they band together to make things more expensive.

I'm sure you can give me a hundred other ways this statement can be interpreted and I would probably agree with you. I'm simply expressing what this statement means to me, and why I hate hearing it.

^^ I agree. I would think that many wealthier owners got their financial success by being smart with their money. That being said, I would assume someone rich or not, would try to find the best deal possible. I also think it has to be seen in perspective. It might be significantly more to service an NSX than a civic, but needless to say the two are on completely different levels. IMO, just the fact that one would even compare maintenance between a civic and NSX is a testament to how cheap it is in relation to an F-car, lambo etc. After just finishing reading an article on the "true" cost to own a ferrari, especially post warranty, the NSX seems like one hell of a deal.

Please don't take offense, but I'm getting sick and tired of hearing that statement, "You have to pay to play". I'm sure that statement is open to many interpretations (depending on its context), but to me it means that I should just admit defeat and pay ridiculous prices for service, parts, insurance, etc.

As a business owner, I would hate to just bend over and let "them" stick it to me. I'm the type to always look for options and solutions. I hope most of my fellow NSX Prime members feel the same way. I'm always thankful when companies like downforce, dali racing, SOS (just to name a few) build their business on great products and reasonable pricing. Let’s not simply give up and pay whatever prices. Instead we should pressure more companies and mechanics to give us more reasonable pricing.

You’re probably saying to yourself, why don’t you just take your business somewhere else. It’s just that sometimes seems, as if there is a conspiracy against us and they band together to make things more expensive.

I'm sure you can give me a hundred other ways this statement can be interpreted and I would probably agree with you. I'm simply expressing what this statement means to me, and why I hate hearing it.

more reasonable pricing doesn't mean you don't have to pay to play. this car is more expensive regardless of how much of a good deal you get. so.... you have to pay to play - you don't necessarily need to get ripped off to play, but you def gotta pay.

only thing that sucks, is you gotta pay to do anything nowadays. you ever look at how much of your money goes to our sub-par (to say the least) goverment? if anybody is ripping you off, it's them. why was this country founded again? Oh yeah, taxation without representation - hmm. time to get a bunch of people and find another hunk of land, murder everybody, and start an honest country (sorry, off topic)

I think all Mark is saying is that while the NSX is now in the affordable range of a new Honda, if something goes wrong can you afford to fix it at higher than typical honda repair costs? An example, I had my timing belt and water pump, all belts replaced on my integra from an independant mechanic for $250, for the NSX it was over $1000. So just because you can afford to buy the car does not mean you can afford to drive the car. Tires cost 3-4X as much and you will chew through them much much faster. Its basic economics but some people don't get past the purchase price.

I think the cost relationship ratio has to be kept to dealer vs dealer or independent vs independent. My Acura Legend timing belt and water pump change at the local dealer cost me about $1200. The NSX timing belt and water pump change at dealers tend to average around $1400. It is more expensive but not 2-3X more than other V6 Acura cars. I haven't had major work done on my NSX since it hasn't been needed thus far, but so far normal maintenance has been only about $200-$500 more than my previous V6 Acura cars. Now, if we are comparing the NSX prices to Honda Civic prices I can see where people are seeing 2X the cost. I still say if you can afford to maintain an Acura TL or RL you can probably afford to maintain an NSX. The only major part I'm somewhat worried about is if I blow the engine on the NSX. That I know costs considerably more than other Acura cars.:redface:

This thread is somewhat funny.

1 - I'm assuming the OP is talking about a 15-16 year old NSX, not a 2005? I can't imagine a 2005 NSX requiring anything other then tires, oil and gas.
2 - How would you buy a car without knowing exactally what it's going to cost you over a 5 year period?
3 - Out of all the cars I looked at when shoping (Porsche, Lotus, Z06, M3) the NSX is the cheapest to own. A oil change in a Lotus Elise is $200 if I remember right. TIRES for a Z06 are close to $2,000. You get the idea. I can't imagine if you were looking at a Ford GT, Ferrari, or Lamborghini. The NSX would have to look like the bargin of the century.
4 - Compairing an exotic car to a mass produced car is silly, but to give people an idea. I had an Integra Type-R before the NSX. Timing belt and water pump in the ITR was $600. In the NSX it was $1300.

NSX Certified... ie: TRAINED to work on an NSX as opposed to some carport cowboy who thinks the NSX is the same car as a civic, like the mechanic at the local honda stealership though.

That's a good clarification.

My Integra and S2000 cost less to maintain, but its expected.

The thread should probably read "Caution to potential NSX buyers coming from a non-exotic car"

haha good one :biggrin:

No offence taken, but that phrase has always been told to me :mad: . I use to get all bent out of shape about it, but it is only a phrase that I think is blow out of context. Believe me, I had a whole paragraph, then deleted it and put down a couple of simple line. I didn't have my flame suit with me so I just deleted most of my reply to as simple as possible.

My mom use to tell me, "If you can not say any nice, DON'T say anything at all." and that is why I deleted my post.

Cheers,

Revhard191

I bought my '91 last summer and took it in for a 60k service at Greenlight Honda and it only cost me $800 including a valve adjustment. The car runs awesome and never gives me trouble. There is no other mid engine car that can compare.

Just make sure you buy a car with a known service history, get a PPI including compression check and you know what you are getting.

I fully expect that when my clutch needs replacing, it will cost more than a Civic.:smile:

I'd like to hear back from the OP about why he would drop a bomb like that and then never respond. :rolleyes:

For one I didn’t feel it necessary to respond. However, I will since there seems to be interest. My post was in response to the many inquires I’m getting regarding the NSX I’m parting out. I’ve gotten interest in everything from rocker arms to suspension arms and everything in between. I typically quote my parts at 25% of list and in almost every case the interested party has commented on how they had no idea that “part x” could cost so much. My only conclusion was that these individuals had not done their homework and researched the cost of repairing an NSX. Obviously we’re not talking tune ups and oil changes here and if one is careful (and lucky to a certain degree in cases of accidents), they may never need anything other then routine maintenance. But, potential owners should be made aware that these cars are very expensive once you enter into the “not so typical” repair arena. Very expensive is a relative term and it‘ll be different for everyone. That’s why I suggested looking at the parts catalog on this site so individuals can make their own judgments.

I mentioned the 25% only to put the rest of the message in context (ie: even at 25% of list (75% off) owners were still shocked at the high prices for parts). That's the real take away from this whole thread.

Last edited:
I had a feeling there was an alterior motive...

For anyone looking at buying a used NSX you'd be well advised to check out the parts catalogs shown on this site and look at the prices of some of the typical maintenance items as well as some of the usual suspects associated with high mileage cars. Most will be shocked! I'd say any price you paid for your accord or civic you better triple it at the minimum. In most cases your Acura dealer is the only place to find them, and they could care less how they gouge you. And unless you’re good with a wrench be prepared to pay double the labor as well. That's just the way it is when you buy a car like the NSX. You got to pay to play. Getting into a used NSX at a reasonable price is now quite possible; fixing it is another story. Luckily, it's a very reliable car, but no more so than other Hondas. Look before you leap.

They only gouge if they are a bad dealer or you are a jerk to them. Good dealers take care of good customers I have found, bad dealers will always be bad and their gouging will slow their traffic down. As far as the labor rates, some items on an NSX take longer to do because of the complication of the vehicle, but this can be tempered with a good relationship between you and your service department.

Back