Cassette Player Problem

My audiocassette player has a major problem. The sound is totally garbled. (In audiophile terms, there is excessive "wow" - probably on the order of 100 percent.) The sound amplification works (I can use the audiocassette adapter for my XM satellite radio) but this problem happens with any audiocassette placed in the player. So the problem seems to be with the tape transport mechanism.

So what do I do? Take the car to my dealer? (I'm pretty sure they get tape players fixed by sending them out for repair.) Look for a used head unit to replace mine?

Looking for advice. (I didn't see this in the FAQ and I tried searching.) TIA.

Hi Ken,

I agree it is the transport, probably running at the wrong speed. It is age, my best guess. There should be plenty of used ones for sale as alot of folks have taken them out:). You might want to ask John V., if you have not already, he may have a used one.

I would post is parts wanted.

HTH,
LarryB

Ken,

Excessive Wow is usually caused by worn belts in the cassette mechanism, not usually the motor since the motor. It would be easiest obviously to simply replace the unit but another alternative would be to take the unit out and remove the belts and go to an electronics supply and replace them. I'll look around and see if I can find my old unit and send you the belts if you want to tackle it yourself. My unit itself was in pieces as I have been sending parts to others as they need them. If I find it, I will PM you.

Tim

I agree with the belt/drive diagnosis.
If you can find a cheap head unit with "other" problems (cosmetic or whatever), it is possible to swap the entire cassette assembly if you don't feel comfortable messing with the belts.
See this disassembly procedure for getting the head apart - it should be fairly intuitive on how to remove the cassette module once you get it apart.

I don't think it's the belts - it's the capstan and pinch roller. The belts are just for providing the tension to move the tape. The capstan and pinch roller provide the speed control. These are located near the playback heads - look for a rubber wheel the diameter of a dime. It presses up against a very thin metal post (capstan). It's either very dirty - both the capstan and pinch roller or the pinch roller has hardened over time and needs replacement.

I'd clean the area and check to see if that fixed it before replacing. The hard part is to get access to it as the cassette type cleaners are useless here. You need to open it up and use cassette cleaner on high quality Q-tips.

Pinch rollers are easy to replace once the unit is opened up. They are typically held on via a "C" clip. Most good electronics supply houses have replacements if you bring in the old one. Crack marks on the rubber are a sure sign to replace.

Yep, capstan and pinch roller, are the parts that govern tape speed. The capstan is driven by the motor at a constant speed. The reel's don't run at a fixed speed, as when the tape spools, their diameter changes.

Either the capstan is direct drive, or by belt. Either the pinch roller rubber has hardened, dirty or it is not tight enough against the capstan. Or the drive to the capstan is slipping.

There's something about using tapes, in one of the most technologically advanced cars of its time...........

You are correct in that it is the capstan or pinch rollers but these in a car are usually belt drive. Home tape decks can be direct drive but the number of motors goes up. A wearing belt can cause the problems. I was assuming the Ken had already tried the simple cleaning technique.

Tim

I was a bit concerned about servicing the unit myself (for fear of scratching the console paint, for example) so I had it removed and sent out for service by my dealer (that's their normal procedure for head unit problems).

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

P.S. I clean my cars' audiocassette decks regularly, using a cleaning device made for that purpose.

Back