Cars that have regressed???

First let me say I don't mean to offend or flame anyone who owns one of the cars that *I* think have regressed in terms of looks..This is just MY opinion...what is yours....

There are quite a few cars out now that have gotten uglier or at least not as good lookin as they once were, unfortunately Honda has alot of them...
Here is what I think:
The new Civic(hatchback) is hidious..It looks like a mini-mini van..
The new Accord is not as nice as the last one...
The Prelude is also not as good looking...

Other cars(I might be biased:D )
The new 4 Runner( especially the non LTD)
The new 5 series BMW...It lost all of it's definition..The lines on the E39 were nice, the new E60 looks like a fat Camry with an ugly grill...
and no offense to those who own the new look NSX, but I don't know if it is the grill or the shape of the exposed headlights that I don't like, but I'd take an '00 over an '03 everytime...

Agree?? Disagree???

I know there is more of them out there, but those are the ones that come to mind right now...

what cars do you think have regressed???

I would say any BMW that Bangle was able to get his hands on has regressed. I also like the style of the older NSX's to the new ones. As far as the other cars are concerned, I couldn't tell you what any of them look like, I don't pay too much attention to those types of cars.

I think all the BMW car look great. I love the look of the new 7 and 5, very clean and smooth.
You mentioned the Prelude, is Honda building the Prelude still?

steveny said:
I think all the BMW car look great. I love the look of the new 7 and 5, very clean and smooth.
You mentioned the Prelude, is Honda building the Prelude still?

I like the 7 series too, but the 5 series...I guess I'm just bias, but I can't stand the grill on it and it has no lines like the E39..
I don't know about the Prelude...but the last gen is not as nice looking as the 94-96ish???

Many people like the look of the new 6 series, but I dont think that it compares to the old one at all.

The BMW is by far the worst. That 745i is hideous; it looks like the people who designed the trunk lid weren't allowed to communicate with the people who designed the rest of the body. See for yourself:

001186-E.jpg

I also think those Dame Edna headlights on the newer models are atrocious.

91 X said:
The Prelude is also not as good looking...
There is no such thing as a new Prelude. :confused:

nsxtasy said:
The BMW is by far the worst. That 745i is hideous; it looks like the people who designed the trunk lid weren't allowed to communicate with the people who designed the rest of the body. See for yourself:

001186-E.jpg

I also think those Dame Edna headlights on the newer models are atrocious.

There is no such thing as a new Prelude. :confused:

I agree, Ken. I had a 1997 745 iL and I thought that car was one of the best looking of all time (even better in 745 Sport trim). The new one looks so discombobulated. It definitely looks better in black, so you can't see the hideous intersection of trunk and trunk lid.

Who'd have thought "Bangle" would become a verb, as in "that design has been completely Bangled beyond all recognition!"

nsxtasy said:

If you have time you should go drive a 7 if you have not done so. The 7 is an engineering masterpiece. I did not like the 7 at first but it has grown on me.

I love all the Bangle desings. He makes BMW's look very distinctive on the road and a real head turner

and all distinctive things create contriversy. Peaple don't like changes.

To make a good judgment on wither Bangle did a good job or not, we need to get an openion of someone that has not seen the previus BMW designs we are all to familour with. In other words, we need to wait for the next generation of car enthusiests to make the judgment, we can't make that judgment becuase we are biased to the old looks and would rather see small changes than big overhaul changes.

By the way, Bangel just got promoted not long ago. It seames that the experts in this industry like his work.

So, get used to the Bangeling of car designs becuase it's here to stay

P.S. sorry about the spelling, spellchecker doesn't want to work

PHOEN$X said:
Without a doubt, the Galant.

old (sleek machine):
0413G215.jpg

new (fugly porker):
mitsubishi-galant-100k_2.jpg

Also, the MR2...and to a lesser extent, the Camry (I still like the version from a couple of generations back).

that is absolutly UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGLLLLYYYYYYYYY

so clueless

cmhs75 said:
I love all the Bangle desings. He makes BMW's look very distinctive on the road and a real head turner

and all distinctive things create contriversy. Peaple don't like changes.

To make a good judgment on wither Bangle did a good job or not, we need to get an openion of someone that has not seen the previus BMW designs we are all to familour with. In other words, we need to wait for the next generation of car enthusiests to make the judgment, we can't make that judgment becuase we are biased to the old looks and would rather see small changes than big overhaul changes.

By the way, Bangel just got promoted not long ago. It seames that the experts in this industry like his work.

So, get used to the Bangeling of car designs becuase it's here to stay

P.S. sorry about the spelling, spellchecker doesn't want to work

Last I heard he was getting fired, and the sales of the cars has proved that his designs are failing.

Carguy! said:
Last I heard he was getting fired, and the sales of the cars has proved that his designs are failing.

Despite the fact that sales are falling, and BMW designs are being largely flamed, Chris bangle technically got promoted. He was the lead designed for BMW. Now, he is the Designer for BMW, and Mini, and other Corporate design studios.

btw, add the Acura RL to that list. The 2nd gen Legend was soo much better looking imho.

I personally think the C6 is a step backwards from the C5 but that may be just personal opinion. I just can't get my head around the new Nissan Maxima either.

The pinnacle of automotive styling was achieved in the early to mid '90's AFAIC. :)

1. The Galant is soooo UGLY. It is actually selling wrose than the previous model!! Mitsubishi is in big trouble. I hear the EVO is the only thing keeping them afloat...

2. I don't like the Trunk line of the 745i, but i could live with it. The car is a blast to drive. Very nice interior, lots of power and cool features.

3. I think the new accord looks worse than the old accord, but I think the Accord Coupe looks great. It is really the next prelude.

4. Mustangs.. BLAH.. nuff said.

I like the new 7, especially in black. One drove by me yesterday and I did a double take turning around on the sidewalk because it is a rare sight here. It is a great looking car. The trunk is big because it has to be for aero reasons.

Tony Montoya said:
I like the new 7, especially in black. One drove by me yesterday and I did a double take turning around on the sidewalk because it is a rare sight here. It is a great looking car. The trunk is big because it has to be for aero reasons.

....and the trunk can hold 3 to 4 sets of golf clubs because of the design!

Carguy! said:

Actually, he has been promoted (as mentioned), and according to official BMW sales figures, the redesigns are selling better than the models they replaced. 7 Series sales are up 20% from the previous design - hence Bangle has full corporate support.

I'm sure some of that sales growth can be attributed to people not wanting to buy a lame duck design, and new buyers going for the tech approach, but however you slice it, BMW is on a big time roll right now. Not for me, but obviously a lot of other people still aspire to own the roundel.

LeftLane said:
Actually, he has been promoted (as mentioned), and according to official BMW sales figures, the redesigns are selling better than the models they replaced. 7 Series sales are up 20% from the previous design - hence Bangle has full corporate support.

I'm sure some of that sales growth can be attributed to people not wanting to buy a lame duck design, and new buyers going for the tech approach, but however you slice it, BMW is on a big time roll right now. Not for me, but obviously a lot of other people still aspire to own the roundel.

In my opinion I think a 20% increase in sales for a newly designed car is very poor. When a new car is anounced a lot of people that would of bought the car will wait and see what is coming out.

Do you think GM will be happy if the C6 Corvette only increases in sales 20% from the previous year? What about the next gen NSX, I don't think Acura would be very happy with a 20% increase.

There are people who are so brainwashed by BMW they buy anything that is produced regardless of its looks.

I haven't driven the new 7 series, but from what I have read the car is an awesome driver. If it wasn't for the style of the car this would probably be on my short list for an everyday car. Can you imagine how bad their sales would be if the car wasn't so much of an improvement mechanically?

I will bet that Chris Bangle will not be designing any other cars for BMW or any other company. It is a common motto with big companies that they keep promoting you until they find something you can do.

I own an older 7 series and I am BMWCCA member. As such I do receive the BMW magazine, the Roundel. Most comments that are published are not in praise of the new model. The only view angle I personnaly like in the new models is the one sitting inside the cars (so that I cannot see them in the outside) :p Yes, they are "better" cars than the ones they replace, but BMW is shooting itself in the foot. As for the sales #s, do not believe the positive spin BMW is trying to put on. I am well located (SC) to know very well some high placed insiders that recognize in private that sales of the new roadster and 7 series are not selling as hoped. And unless it's a scoop on this board, the new 7 series font (headlamps) and rear (trunklines) was redesigned (not too much) and will be available for sale soon with smother lines.

Last edited:
Back