Cars priced -Kelley blue book and Nada

A lot of sellers tout Kelley Blue book pricing or NADA. the GALVES book
is really the bible for used car sales and is definitely closer to the selling
prices of cars. That is why Galves charges for info and the other two give
the info away--because that is what it is worth-NOTHING.

I HAVE no connection to any of the services.

When I start looking at cars that I'm not too familiar with I will look at all of that stuff - Edmunds, Autotrader, NADA, KBB, and there's another but if you learn how to read between the lines a bit they are a good way to start.

Truth about it really is - it's subjective to a great degree because no two cars even though the same model are not alike. Different history, records, maintenance, how many owners, paint, interior condition and on and on - you have to develop a 6th sense about it. I have only been able to get in to the ball park with all these car pricing references we're mentioning here. That's good enough cause then you still and will always have to develop an idea of real pricing from studying the market trends as well as condition. Like right now would be very difficult to place an accurate price on something because the market is just fluctuating so much.

Still it must be done and in the end the old addage is will always rule out - your car is worth what someone will pay for it. Or the converse a car is worth what you're willing to pay for it - to you that is. That's how deals are made and lost. It's the art of the deal and some folks have a knack and others don't. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Lot's of intangibles in the car buying/selling busines.

That in the end is what makes the search so much damn fun! If I had nothing but time and loads of cash - I'd have a garrage of 30 cars and that would change yearly. I love the search. I love buying and finding cars and having them for a time and selling and getting something new or different. Unless your Leno - if you love cars that's the way it is. Now that I have this NSX - it's a little different - I really, really love this car! So what's on the horizon for me - don't know - no plans - just drive the poo out of this NSX of mine and have fun and oooooohhhhhh what fun it is! Right - can I get an Amen out there....:wink::biggrin:

When I started seriously looking for an NSX one thing I did was make an E-Bay spread sheet.

I logged the VIN, year, mileage, color, any modifications, and tracked the highest bid and then had a y/n field for whether or not the car sold. I also paid attention to the Prime marketplace and asking prices on autotrader.

After about a year of semi-regular monitoring, I felt I had a reasonable idea of what the market would support for the type of car I was looking for.

KBB etc. are not always accurate for more desirable/cult/low production cars. They can get you a ballpark to start in, but are by no means gospel....unless you run into an inept seller that hasn't done his/her homework. Then you leverage the hell out of them and take it to the bank :).

From my experience, fair market value is the real benchmark for pretty much everything, so R13 had a pretty good concept, logging values on a spreadsheet over time. Anything is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.
I used to use the CPI guide (http://www.blackbookusa.com/cpi.asp) but I can't speak for it since it changed hands in 2002.
KBB, maybe OK for Tauruses but not a limited production vehicle like an NSX.

Right - can I get an Amen out there....:wink::biggrin:

Amen Brother Tim!

Dilligence & patience - a necessary pair when buying an NSX. Sprinkle in a little luck and that's when the magic happens. At the end of the day, the price you pay is the price you pay (how's that for overstating the obvious)! The deals are out there, but you've got to work at it and make sure that when you do plop down your hard-earned cash, you're 100% behind your decision. The market will determine what your price-point will command.

BETTHEMORTGAGE

You are 100 per cent right on.

R13-- I have more papers etc on ask/sales etc. than I can manage.

Yesterday, I made 6 somewhat reasonable offers to sellers--2 were ebay-
NO RESPONSES.

I am not looking to STEAL a car--but rather a fair deal for both.

Also, I am looking for an automatic--but if I have to get a stick there are
3 really nice cars listed ON THIS SITE for sale.

If I were smart, I would forget about an NSX til spring--just snowblowed
20 inches --and even my wife's new suv isn't leaving the garage.

BETTHEMORTGAGE

You are 100 per cent right on.

R13-- I have more papers etc on ask/sales etc. than I can manage.

Yesterday, I made 6 somewhat reasonable offers to sellers--2 were ebay-
NO RESPONSES.

I am not looking to STEAL a car--but rather a fair deal for both.

Also, I am looking for an automatic--but if I have to get a stick there are
3 really nice cars listed ON THIS SITE for sale.

If I were smart, I would forget about an NSX til spring--just snowblowed
20 inches --and even my wife's new suv isn't leaving the garage.

Interesting post but frankly all those books are WORTHLESS when buying an NSX or any other limited, cult type car such as this.

You walk up to me and try to buy my car with these values and I'll politely show you the door....

Most NSX owners know what their car is worth, some hope to find a sucka who will pay more, others really do have a gem that is worth $$$$. Sure you can wait 20 years to buy the car you want or you enjoy it now. At some point it's all about whether you want to pay to play or sit on the side-lines claiming to be a "future" owner.

I've bought/sold many specially modded cars over the years and I usually get my asking price, sometimes it may take 1+ years but urgency from the buyer's standpoint usually means less money. Given that, buyers who are patient will get the right deal.

Back