Car's not selling. Thread or car problem? Any ideas?

I can see Doc's point. I think of my NSX as my "baby" and that probably comes off when I communicate any description of the car. Hey - when I got in the car to drive it away from the previous owner, she broke down in tears (and not tears of joy). Some of us are just too emotionally attached to these works of art.

I've got to think about that if I ever put up a national ad for the NSX. Just stick to the facts and nothing more. Good advice.

One thing that doesn't help, but isn't your fault, is just the weak NSX Prime perception of the 97-01 NSXs. Most of what gets posted is along the lines of "91-94 are stiffer, lighter and better so why pay more??"

There's certainly some truth to that (a little), but you don't get a million little upgrades that occurred in 97 and after the early years. Terrific power steering, better suspension, etc... Most importantly, and this CAN'T be overstated, the 6 speed completely changes the experience. Rowing through the gears is what makes the 97+ cars a BLAST to drive, even when the roads are straight and corners slippery. Yes, you can upgrade a 91 to the 6 speed but it isn't cheap $5k+ I think. Also, no one wants to pay for "newness" Everything in your car is 8 years newer than many NSXs, but people don't seem to ascribe much value to that. I do, since shit falls apart even in a Honda, but that's just me.

So -- I'm not really being helpful, but maybe shedding a little light on a frustrating situation for you.

One of these days I'll pick up a 2nd, to go with my 2005. It may be a perfect early 90s coupe, but, once I'm done with it, it will have a 6 speed. I'd spend nice money for that 99 coupe that was for sale earlier -- perfect!!!

Got an offer from the guy I bought the car from for $39K. Would I be nuts to take it?

Ruined2,

Here I was bored and created an ad following some recommendations given by the Prime crowd and I used all of your own wording and helped grammar in some areas. Read it below. modify it to your liking, and perhaps try to get another thread approved by Prime in order to sell the car.

Good luck I think you've got a nice NSX!

For Sale:

2000 NSX-T Berlina Black/Camel 3.2L 6 Speed VIN # JH4NA2164YT000089

Mileage: 49,XXX

Price: $ TBA by Ruined 2

Well ladies and gentlemen, my worst fears may have been realized. I am listing my 2000 model year NSX for sale. I just bought it on October 29th of last year with 35,929 miles on the odometer. I’m the second owner with the original owner being from New York. I bought the car from Foreign-Traffic, a high-end used import dealer in Butler, PA. The Carfax report is and was clean, but Autocheck (?) shows an odometer discrepancy of 700 or so miles, which I’m sure is a clerical error.

Since owning it I have done the following services and or upgrades to the car:

-bought new floor mats
-new trunk mat
-new OEM front spoiler
-new OEM CD changer (w/ an extra cartridge)
-new battery (Interstate)
-new OEM car cover w/ lock and bag

The only “modifications” I have made to the car have been painting the calipers, recovering the speaker grilles with black grille cloth to eliminate the dirty beige OEM cloth, wiring the parking lights to the OEM alarm/keyless entry and wiring in a power antenna switch to keep that monster of an antenna down when not in use.

Condition:

It is excellent all around. It has a few touched up chips on the front end, and the wheels have a few spots of clear coat flaking on the lips. The passenger side front wheel was curbed and repaired (before me) and you can tell where the repair is, but it’s not terrible at all. The interior is excellent other than some very minor and normal driver’s seat bolster wear. The only other thing that I would consider “un-excellent” would be that the exhaust tip finish is not perfect. I’ve tried all kinds of products on them, but to no avail. I planned on replacing it with an aftermarket exhaust anyways (along with the wheels) but I thought it should be mentioned.

The tires (Yokahamas) were put on right before I bought it (along with an alignment and 30,000 mile service) and are good to go. The car might need new brakes in the future.

Included in the sale:

-manuals with the leather cover
-an original sales brochure
-two wheel lock keys
-three vehicle keys (two standard, one valet) but only one alarm/keyless remote control

I have no service records on the car other than what I’ve been told and what I’ve seen, but the car needs absolutely nothing (other than the aforementioned brakes…maybe) and is absolutely beautiful.

Closer inspection by the potential buyer is welcome and encouraged.

Contact me here at NSXPrime through a PM or email me at [email protected].

Insert Pictures...

Ruined2,

Here I was bored and created an ad following some recommendations given by the Prime crowd and I used all of your own wording and helped grammar in some areas. Read it below. modify it to your liking, and perhaps try to get another thread approved by Prime in order to sell the car.

Good luck I think you've got a nice NSX!

For Sale:

2000 NSX-T Berlina Black/Camel 3.2L 6 Speed VIN # JH4NA2164YT000089

Mileage: 49,XXX

Price: $ TBA by Ruined 2

Well ladies and gentlemen, my worst fears may have been realized. I am listing my 2000 model year NSX for sale. I just bought it on October 29th of last year with 35,929 miles on the odometer. I’m the second owner with the original owner being from New York. I bought the car from Foreign-Traffic, a high-end used import dealer in Butler, PA. The Carfax report is and was clean, but Autocheck (?) shows an odometer discrepancy of 700 or so miles, which I’m sure is a clerical error.

Since owning it I have done the following services and or upgrades to the car:

-bought new floor mats
-new trunk mat
-new OEM front spoiler
-new OEM CD changer (w/ an extra cartridge)
-new battery (Interstate)
-new OEM car cover w/ lock and bag

The only “modifications” I have made to the car have been painting the calipers, recovering the speaker grilles with black grille cloth to eliminate the dirty beige OEM cloth, wiring the parking lights to the OEM alarm/keyless entry and wiring in a power antenna switch to keep that monster of an antenna down when not in use.

Condition:

It is excellent all around. It has a few touched up chips on the front end, and the wheels have a few spots of clear coat flaking on the lips. The passenger side front wheel was curbed and repaired (before me) and you can tell where the repair is, but it’s not terrible at all. The interior is excellent other than some very minor and normal driver’s seat bolster wear. The only other thing that I would consider “un-excellent” would be that the exhaust tip finish is not perfect. I’ve tried all kinds of products on them, but to no avail. I planned on replacing it with an aftermarket exhaust anyways (along with the wheels) but I thought it should be mentioned.

The tires (Yokahamas) were put on right before I bought it (along with an alignment and 30,000 mile service) and are good to go. The car might need new brakes in the future.

Included in the sale:

-manuals with the leather cover
-an original sales brochure
-two wheel lock keys
-three vehicle keys (two standard, one valet) but only one alarm/keyless remote control

I have no service records on the car other than what I’ve been told and what I’ve seen, but the car needs absolutely nothing (other than the aforementioned brakes…maybe) and is absolutely beautiful.

Closer inspection by the potential buyer is welcome and encouraged.

Contact me here at NSXPrime through a PM or email me at [email protected].

Insert Pictures...

Thats a good add right there.

Do you have the stock rims? If so, I'll pay $39.5K:wink: Miles still under 50K?

Thanks Jetpilot3. That looks good, but would need updated of course with the current mods/condition. I just wish I could get Prime to delete the current thread and let me start over. Everyone who keeps telling me I need a new ad...I know. I'm not allowed.

And Kid, I do have the OEM wheels, refinished with new tires on them sitting under a sheet in my garage. Also the factory air pig stomach, the OEM horns and an OEM shift knob on it's way to me. The car can be 100% stock in about a half hour (except for the air cleaner :smile: ). Miles just under 49K.

Attachments

• 100_0608.jpg
    100_0608.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0609.jpg
    100_0609.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_0610.jpg
    100_0610.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0612.jpg
    100_0612.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 31
Just wanted to say thanks for some good advice. After a few months of little interest from this site, I placed a more simple ad on autotrader.com and had three hits the first day and sold the NSX on day two. Could be coincidence but I think my Prime ad was a little too wordy.

Cheers!
Shaun

Still haven't heard anything from Prime about my for sale ad, so I put the car on Autotrader.com (at a higher starting price). I've received a few calls already, but they seem to have gone cold very quickly. Oh well...we'll see how it goes.

The car can be 100% stock in about a half hour (except for the air cleaner :smile: ). Miles just under 49K.

And I found the OEM air cleaner :smile: .

No problems, I apreciate your candor in posting this question in the first place.Unfortunatly the tire kickers are part of the process.:redface:

Not to take anything from Prime members but since membership is free, there is just as many dreamers, tire kickers, joy-riders here as Ebay, Craigslist, etc so if you want to sell a car this is part of the drama you have to deal with and for me it's part of the fun! :)

I've sold some cars for a loss and some I came out even but no matter what people tell you, a car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay AT THE TIME OF THE SALE. This is sorta like equity in a home. I had a guy tell me he had $400k equity in a home. But fact remains that if he did nothing with the equity money and left it there. It's ZERO value.

The NSX is a special car that most people buy for the FUN factor. Fact is for $40-50k you can buy a lot of nicer cars than the NSX.

3 big things to keep in mind when selling:

1) Keep things concise, take lots of pics and be courteous
2) Answer all emails and phone calls in a timely manner
3) Provide detailed records, maintenance and keep the car stock if possible

If I'm looking for a car across state lines, the first thing I want to do is call the guy and see if he's sincere about selling - if he gives me a bunch of attitude or a feeling I can't trust him I move on since any long distance deal requires some trust between 2 people.

I've seen your ad on and off many times in my quest for an NSX and it just looks very disorganized and uncertain on your part.

just my 2 cents,
rick

Maybe there are more reasons to that. Why pay more for a 2000+ car than a pampered and cheaper 91. Earlier cars were of supperb quality (except snap-ring) while the younger ones lacked of it a little here and there (painting and fittment) RELATIVELY SPOKEN! If you compare the 91 painting with a 02+ painting you know what I mean. Why pay for a used 6sp car if you can drop basically the same gears (4.23...) in the old gearbox and revise it at the same time.

On a black car the interior should be black too but this is only from my perspective. And I also believe that the price of $50k seams to be too high if it didn't sell within one year.

The NSX needs 10 or 20 years more till some people decover it.

Car's gone :frown: . Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Congrats on the sale!Turn that frown upsidedown!:smile:

Ditto! Hope you are pleased with the outcome. It was a long time coming!

The turn of events in the last few weeks that really made it necessary to get rid of it have not been pleasant. And while I did make it somewhat easier on myself financially, I didn't get quite what the car was worth. Time got short real quick. Had to do what I had to do and for that reason I lost my ass on yet another vehicle.

Thanks guys. Hopefully another one in my near future if everything works out.

Back