Car wont start help please.

The starter turns over just fine but the car wont crank anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with the car or has this ever happened to anyone else?

TIA
Jeff

oh yeah I also tried starting the car from a roll and it started for just a second and then died again. I pushed it off two more times and nothing happened.
Ineed some major help!!

ok tried that still no cranking.
also tried:
checking all fuses
making sure it had gas

Anyone have any other things to check or try?
fuel pump
is there a fuel cutoff switch?

Please help
Jeff

When you turn the ignition on you should be able to hear the fuel pump. It will stop after the pressure has built up.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm installed?

Originally posted by Jeff Phifer:
The starter turns over just fine but the car wont crank anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with the car or has this ever happened to anyone else?

TIA
Jeff

Kinda confused on your wording....if the starter turns over, that means the engine is cranking....do you mean the engine is turning off, just not starting? Check your main relay too then. Common to go out on Honda's.

When I say its turning over but not starting I mean that the starter is turning over but it will not crank up like it is not getting fuel or spark. Where is the main relay?

Jeff

If your fuel pump is running it sounds like you need to check your aftermarket alarm...

What year is your car? If you have the transponder key(black plastic) it could be your factory alarm is not working properly. The transponder must engage the factory alarm or the car's fuel system will not function. Most aftermarket alarms will be have a "starter kill" installed, not a fuel cutoff, unless you specified that feature at the time of installation. Are you using the factory key or a copy?

Jeff,
I feel your pain! Let's try resetting the security system.
1. Remove the key from the ignition (key switch is off).
2. Close all doors, hood, engine compartment lid, and trunk lid (switches are off).
3. Lock the driver's or passenger's door from the outside by using the key (door lock nob and door key cylinder switches off).
4. Indicator starts flashing one second on and one second off (prearmed).
5.Wait a minute until indicator flashes .2 seconds on and 2.4 seconds off.
6. Unlock drivers door with key (door cylinder switch is on-unlocked).
7. Indicator stops flashing (securtiy system is disarmed).

Now enter the cabin and turn the ignition key on for accessories and wait about 30 seconds for fuel pump to pressurize. Depress clutch completely to the floor and then turn key for starter to engage and crank the engine. Fingers crossed of course ... and I await a favorable reply!

Slingshot,
Thx for the tip but tried it with no luck
frown.gif

I think it might be the fuel pump because I dont hear it pressurizing when I turn the key to the on position. Someone mentioned earlier that you could hear it as you turn the key to the on position.

Sorry Jeff ... I don't have a clue now. Hope someone else figures it out soon for you. Good Luck!

You might try sending a distress signal over on the NSX General Discussion side; the members are pretty good about not hitting on you to post over here.

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 11 July 2002).]

Jeff,

At this point you really need to start to "Peel the Onion". The first place to start is to install the jumper into the test connector and see if you get any codes from the ECU. Bsically there are two ingredients you need, spark and fuel, so you need to determine which one is the problem.

If you get a code it will tell you possibly about a bad part(one possibility is the crank position sensor). If you do not get a code I think the fuel system is where you will end up. Fuel pump relays seem to be troublesome on higher mileage cars. You can just see if you can borrow a FPR and try it, or you should get a fuel pressure gauge on it while it is cranking.

Anyway, I would try to dump the codes and see where it leads you. Let me know what you find.

HTH,
LarryB

If Larry's suggestion proves the fuel pump to be ok, it sounds like the problem is the ignitor module. It is about the size of a miniature deck of cards with three electrical conections - power feed in, output to the front bank of coil packs and output to the rear bank of coil packs.

The module is on top of the intake manifold, but somewhat obscured by the throttle body.

Thx for all the replys. Unfortunantly I dont have the tools to check it myself so I guess it will have to go to the dealer and let them check it out. The only dealer around is a Honda dealer, will they be able to check it out?

Thx again

Jeff,

I am sorry to say, but I have my doubts about the Honda dealer. Do you know them? There is no Acura dealer close enough to get it there?

The only thing I can say is my close friend sells Honda's up here. There is just no way my NSX would end up on a lift in their shop. JMO.

It seems many Acura dealers don't have that much "wrench" time on the NSX, a Honda dealer... I don't know.

Just an FYI: Getting the codes I mentioned only requires a paper clip!! I am sure we can get you thru it. If you have to use a Honda dealer the more YOU know the better off you will be, again JMHO.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do.

LarryB

I feel it's the aftermarket alarm as well. Try unplugging your battery for a while then try it again. I am not sure how DEI works, but I had that problem on countless cars and it usually is the alarm.

Guys the car is now running. A friend of mine works on VTEC motors and took out one of the coil packs to check and make sure the car was sparking. He put the coil pack back and as soon as I tried to start it the car cranked right up!??! Anyways it has ran fine eversince>?? Why in the heck did it start up? Was something loose??

Jeff

Back