car value after a complete paint job

what about painting the roof red to match with the car ?
will that affect anything for future sale ?
IMHO, that will lower the value of the car (by reducing the number of potential buyers), but not by anywhere near as much as a complete repaint would.

i see. maybe i will just do that for now and get new set of shoes or something.

IMHO, that will lower the value of the car (by reducing the number of potential buyers), but not by anywhere near as much as a complete repaint would.

I feel that If that paint job is factory looking or better , and all the detail is completed and you have proof, and pictures throughout the whole process that the car was never in an accident, I feel that the car shouldn't reall loose that much value. Frank

i see. well, i dont plan on putting a wide body kit. i just want it to look nice and clean and with new wheels of course. i love the red color, dont get me wrong. just considering a new look in the future.

tks!

Whether or not you put a wide body kit on the car is irrelevant. The thing with any rare car is that once you start throwing things like custom paint jobs, or wild interiors at them, the car itself is suddenly 'damaged goods'. What I mean is that for a lot of car enthusiasts that may have dreamed of owning an NSX, they have a certain mental picture of what they want. It may be that they saw a Formula Red with Black top NSX sitting outside the dealership when the car was first introduced, and they were smitten by it and want one just like that. Or they were given a ride in a Berlina Black NSX and decided from that day forward that they want one just like that one. My point is that you narrow your market considerably by doing custom candy apple paint jobs. The stigma that I have noticed with cars posessing the crazy custom paint is that most people assume that the cars were wrecked and repainted, or simply just riced out. Neither of which is good for re-sale value. In the end it is your car. But no matter if you spend $2,000 or $20,000 on the paint job, the value of your car will never be the same as an equivalent car with nice factory paint.

As long as the paint is not too out of line (stay traditional) and it's done properly, I think the "value" is only dictated by the market/buyer. To me, documentation is key. It may take longer to find the right buyer but they're out there. Not everyone is reluctant to purchase a completely repainted car.

Jeff

In my opinion car value is only important for the owner or buyer. As long as you are the owner and you are the person who likes an other color for your NSX, than repainting gives the car the highest value possible.
On the other hand if you decide to repaint the car with an other color than OEM with knowledge of short term (what is short term for an NSX owner:wink: ) sale, than DON'T.

I have never bought or restyled a car for the second buyer.

Agree with everyone here.
If your paint is really ratty, re-paint it.
Or just have the areas in need re-done.
If you own a red car and want another color,
sell your red car & buy the color you want.
You will be money ahead.

A few thoughts:
As far as collector cars go (Not the NSX just yet)
On a color change, you deduct the cost of a complete back to orig re-paint
from the selling price. And good paint jobs are much more $$$ than most people think. A good paint job on a midyear Vette for example is going to run you an easy 10-15k+. As the NSX paint process may or may not even be able to be reproduced, If they ever become collectable, a re-painted NSX might take a larger hit than most other cars. (2 coma's+run on sentence):smile:

I feel that If that paint job is factory looking or better , and all the detail is completed and you have proof, and pictures throughout the whole process that the car was never in an accident, I feel that the car shouldn't reall loose that much value. Frank
It sounds like you haven't talked to a huge number of prospective buyers and sellers of NSXs. I have. And I stand by my statements. If a car was repainted, you will be ruling out a large portion of prospective buyers, and you will need to settle for thousands of dollars less from those who are still willing to buy a repainted car (often, for the sole reason that they expect a substantial discount over an otherwise similar car that has not been repainted).

what about painting the roof red to match with the car ?
will that affect anything for future sale ?

No, because most people want the roof painted.

Just like Ferrari 348's which have the bottom trim painted to match. 90% of the buyers like that. You might loose the 10% but I would not say that would hurt your sales because it is just another value adder to a potential buyer that another NSX won't have.

sokudo88

If I was considering a color change then it would only be to an alternative OEM color, ESPECIALLY on what you describe as being a relatively standard NSX.

You say that you like red, so why not go with the Monza Red Pearl offered here in the UK? Compliment this with a nice set of rims and you have your new look but with an OEM feel.

Yes it will be un-original but IMO more palatable due the origins of the color.

HTH

Regards, Paul

Last edited:
Please do your homework first, don't rush like I did. I thought that since I saw the shop on tv they would be the best. Boy was I wrong. All my friends that own body shops say that the guys that have to advertise on tv, do this for a reason, and most of them produce horrible work as I have experienced. Be careful who you choose before making an investment for a paint job. Frank

Back