Car Issues...

So after 2 years i finally ended up picking up a 91 NSX. Very clean car and looks to be taken care of. On the highway back home from work (2nd day driving it) the check engine light comes on. I take it to my friend (Honda / Acura mechanic for 8 years) and he looks over the whole car. Check engine light is for the o2 sensor, cars clutch is slipping a bit, the tranny is very noisey, with 3rd gear grinding if u go WOT in 2nd, The oil pan is bubbling... So for $750 in parts with his discount i get the oil pan done, the o2 sensor changed and a tune up, $550 for labour. The 3rd day driving my car i pull in my driveway to open the door and the door handle brakes... I call him and i ask him to get me a price for it and also a motor for the driver side window becauses its really slow. With his price its $525 for the inside door handle and $485 for the motor after taxes... So its back at his shop again. I was just wondering how has anyone delt with all this type of bs with their car in a short amount of time?? Im guessing its cause the car is 16 years old and its going to start falling apart slowly, am i right?

So after 2 years i finally ended up picking up a 91 NSX. Very clean car and looks to be taken care of. On the highway back home from work (2nd day driving it) the check engine light comes on. I take it to my friend (Honda / Acura mechanic for 8 years) and he looks over the whole car. Check engine light is for the o2 sensor, cars clutch is slipping a bit, the tranny is very noisey, with 3rd gear grinding if u go WOT in 2nd, The oil pan is bubbling... So for $750 CND in parts with his discount i get the oil pan done, the o2 sensor changed and a tune up, $550 CND for labour. The 3rd day driving my car i pull in my driveway to open the door and the door handle brakes... I call him and i ask him to get me a price for it and also a motor for the driver side window becauses its really slow. With his price its $525 CND for the inside door handle and $485 CND for the motor after taxes... So its back at his shop again. I was just wondering how has anyone delt with all this type of bs with their car in a short amount of time?? Im guessing its cause the car is 16 years old and its going to start falling apart slowly, am i right?

Its all wear and tear items that go out in time. That is with any car. My old 91 had a lot of inexpensive items that needed to be replaced but they do add up quickly. All your problems sound like common issues that early NSX's had.

Well I think you had bad luck buying a car the vendor was quite about some issues with it (except for the door handle). That was maybe the reason he sold it.

Sorry to hear about your recent problems with your NSX. I believe the NSX to be an extremely reliable well built car but like any other mechanical device it will wear out with use. Having said this, I think how the car was driven, maintained, and mileage has contributed more to your recent troubles rather then the age of the vehicle. It also sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck.:frown:

I bought my low mileage 91 almost 3 years ago from the original owner; an older gentleman who didn’t drive the car very hard or much and always had the car maintained on a regular basis at the dealership. I have continued this tradition and other than the usual preventative maintenance, done when I bought the car (TB, etc.), my maintenance has only been oil changes and tires.:smile:

Once you fix the current problems and if you don’t abuse the car and perform regular maintenance on it, you should have many years of happy motoring.

How many miles are on the car? Did you get any previous service history? Mine has 62K miles on it and it is on the second clutch. The tranny is super quiet though. I made sure the car was up to date on service before I purchased it and have not had any issues thus far.
I do plan on installing the window fixit thingies and the door handle fixits myself soon as preventative maintenence.

Sorry you have a few issues...
There is a door handle fix it kit that is cheap and I had to do mine last year or so. It is from sos and you can search here on the site to get more info.
The Windows are a problem with the nsx.
They need to be lubricated and adjusted right.
Mine need to be done as one is slow and both need to be aligned.
I have a service report from Acura in Victoria BC saying they tried to adjust the windows as best possible. What a joke! It does take a long time to adjust them and get them right a far as I can see from the service manual that I downloaded from this site. Get a copy for yourself, it is free.
When you have a problem, just post it and everyone will help you out before you spend too much cash.
The trans is a little notchy when cold typically.
People that are having bad shifting with their trans try the mix of two GM trans fluids in their gearbox. This seems to help smooth things out for a period.
Nothing is going to fix a damaged set of gears or syncros though.
I had to get a rebuilt from SOS last year when I did the clutch.
Sos has a good priced stock clutch as well, if you need one.
I went with stock since they didn't have this out when I did mine.
Take care and take it easy.
Don't let these things get you down.
Just do search's here first!
If you cant find what you are having troubles with, then post and say you can't find the answer and we will help.
Trev in Edmonton

Just FYI, there is no need to get a new window regulator. Regrease it, and use the window fit-it's if the regulator is actually a 1991-93 version.

Depending on how the handle broke, this may also has a cost effective repair.

Go here for Window Reg:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ce_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/window_repair/

Go here for handle fix:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/door_repair/

Again you will need to check if your handle broke in a way that this will fix it.

HTH,
LarryB

As others have said, not entirely unexpected. I had similar issues with my '91 at around 77k miles (now at 80), o2 Check Engine Light.

I get the third gear crunch at redline from 2nd if I'm not perfect with the shift, although that usually happens on the track 20-30 minutes into a session. Likely me not concentrating well enough after that long on the track.

However, a suggestion for you. Mine used to crunch pretty often. I switched to synthetic lubricant in the tranny and it happens now only if I fumble it a little and after I've really heated up the tranny. I'd highly recommend doing that (go to FAQ as there seems to be somewhat less than a unanimous consensus on which syn to put in the gearbox, and select for yourself), but do go ahead and do something. It's not too hard to DIY, but even if you pay someone, it still should be pretty inexpensive and should dramatically improve the situation.

Those are usual items, try not to get upset (when I bought my '91 the check engine light came on the same night I picked it up, on the way home). On a sixteen year old NSX, you can expect a few other things as well, but once these things are fixed, they're fixed. I can walk you through the window regulator if you need.

Nope a school teacher had it in Nanimo, his name was Dan.
He bought it from someone in bc that got it or was holding it or something like that after a guy in calgary had it for a few years. Before that it was in Ontario to begin with. I just found a guy in Kelowna with a older one than mine, I think his number is 20! Ratz.
I guess i should start my letters and emails to the owner and service manager at Victoria Acura and let them explain to me why one of my plugs stripped out and blew out and smashed into the coil and feel into my engine.
This should be interesting!!!
I guess if they cant adjust windows, they shouldn't touch spark plugs.
Trev

Caveman said:
my low mileage

:tongue:

9000 kms, was it?

To the OP: Go to www.scienceofspeed.com and look for the door handle repair kit. Easy to do, took my 20 minutes after I snapped my door handle and got sick of looking like and idiot trying to get out. If you need help, lemme know!

I also had a coil short on me. Ran on 5 cylinders for a week, then Acura replaced the whole front coil pack for about 300 bucks or so.

Other than that, an oil change and I think I'm gonna need new back tires this year. The roads are still cold, but it's downright terrifying trying to keep this car straight right now, and my rears are 10 inches wide!

This 16 year old car better not start falling apart! I'd hate to have to try and find something else that compares to it!

I would think anytime one buys a car that age, they have to plan on those types of things going wrong. It becomes a matter of just spending monthly to replace items that are broken or need replacing for age. Don't sweat it, just don't think you have to do it all at once. Enjoy the car.

Mine spent over a month in the shop. Tranny was dropped 3 times in one season, and all the small stuff. Still going btw:rolleyes:

Try checking Science of speed for the door handles. They have a good inventory.

You should come to our meeting on the 30th and you'll get a chance to meet and talk to the guys. Garrick (lithiumus) is an expert in windows/doors/electrical stuff and can help you understand what to do, what to buy and even may have some spares.

The some of the problems with NSXs are that Acura Dealers often don't understand what to do to fix them, and previous owners often drive them hard but say they only went to church on Wednesdays. (like seriously, who owns an NSX and can honestly say "never/rarely VTECed")

Thanks alot for the feedback guys, il be letting my mechanic know about the tips! the car just passed 100KM so i guess all these things are expected just bad timing with everything at once, hah.

Thanks alot for the feedback guys, il be letting my mechanic know about the tips! the car just passed 100KM so i guess all these things are expected just bad timing with everything at once, hah.

I just picked up my 91' and thank god only the TCS light had come out. After resetting the cirucit, TCS light back to normal, and I hope this stays forever.

Thanks alot for the tips guys, il let me mechanic know! Im going to try and make it for the meet just not 100% yet.

cars clutch is slipping a bit, the tranny is very noisey, with 3rd gear grinding if u go WOT in 2nd
You need a transmission service, including replacing the clutch (that's what's causing the slipping) and replacing hub selector(s) and possibly synchro(s) (that's what's causing the grinding). Also, if your car is in the snap ring range and the snap ring problem has never been addressed, you should replace the snap ring and upper transmission case. It takes 8-16 hours for the service, so the labor is going to be expensive (the clutch itself isn't cheap, either). But then your clutch will be good and you won't have to worry about tranny problems for a long time. That's the whole idea behind repairing known problems and getting up to date on the scheduled maintenance; once they are all fixed, the car should be reliable and worry-free.

Depending on how the handle broke, this may also has a cost effective repair.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/door_repair/

Again you will need to check if your handle broke in a way that this will fix it.

If your handle broke such that the above won't fix, this at $345 USD (for BOTH sides) would still be more cost-effective than $525 CDN ($452 USD) for one side (assuming you don't mind the color change)...and you could sell your used intact handle from the other side on Prime.

Sorry to hear about your problems, it's all normal items that goes eventually, it's just unfortunate that it all happen in the first two weeks of ownership.

Next time, maybe you want to check with the guys @ the NSX Club of Canada, we get discounts from some dealers.

Bram

So after 2 years i finally ended up picking up a 91 NSX. Very clean car and looks to be taken care of. On the highway back home from work (2nd day driving it) the check engine light comes on. I take it to my friend (Honda / Acura mechanic for 8 years) and he looks over the whole car. Check engine light is for the o2 sensor, cars clutch is slipping a bit, the tranny is very noisey, with 3rd gear grinding if u go WOT in 2nd, The oil pan is bubbling... So for $750 in parts with his discount i get the oil pan done, the o2 sensor changed and a tune up, $550 for labour. The 3rd day driving my car i pull in my driveway to open the door and the door handle brakes... I call him and i ask him to get me a price for it and also a motor for the driver side window becauses its really slow. With his price its $525 for the inside door handle and $485 for the motor after taxes... So its back at his shop again. I was just wondering how has anyone delt with all this type of bs with their car in a short amount of time?? Im guessing its cause the car is 16 years old and its going to start falling apart slowly, am i right?

I don't think your car is falling apart,I think you are just having to do all the things that the previous owner neglected to do,or had them done at a questionable repair shop.The NSX is not a cheap car,it is an inexpensive supercar.Having said that I would expect to spend about 10-15% of the cars value on preventitive manitenance and repairs when it is about 15 years old,or has 100 to 130k km's.It is much cheaper to do servicing before things break.Things like timing belt,valve adjust,spark plugs,air filter,water pump,flush cooling system,new brake fluid,tranny fluid,check hose's,alternator belt,brakes lines,pads and rotors.And that is just the major stuff.Power window motors and door handles have always been weak spots,in an otherwise spectacular performing supercar.Oh,and that clutch,I would get that replaced before it leaves you stranded with a lot less money in your jeans.Is your tranny in the weak snap ring range?

Porpoise

Back