Car From Arisona

I am might get a car from Arisona that I want. How hard is it going to be to regester it in California. Its a Z06 that I really like and no I am not getting rid of my NSX's. Well I might sell one NSX maybe. Any way how does this work do I pay the tax in Arisona then regester it in California or do I pay the tax in California? I have no idea. Could somone who has done this please tell me step by step what will need to be done and is it worth getting a car that is out of state.

Thanks

not sure if this helps cause i bought my car from a dealer in new york...

1) i sent my payment to the dealer.
2) arranged for shipping from ny
3) once car arrived had it registered here. i payed the sales tax here.

If you work with the seller not sure if its private deal but then you can document a lower sale price so that you can save on tax. The lower sale price will not affect the dollar value your insurance will give it if any thing happens to it.

if you have any more questions please let me know.

I bought an Arizona car which was already in California, so it was a little easier, but I think that it will mostly be the same.

When you go to pick the car up, let your insurance company know so that they can add coverage to the car for your drive back to California. Make sure that you get a bill of sale along with the current title and registration as well.

When you get back to California, you will have to take it for a SMOG test (get a certificate). Then take the car and all of your documentation to the DMV or AAA (if you are a member) to get it inspected and registered.

Once all that is done, pay your fees and they'll issue your new registration.

That should be it.

DMV info is here --> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/os.htm

Yes you pay taxes in California, Arizona has no sales tax on used private party sales. The tax will be collected when the registration process is done.

I bought an Arizona car which was already in California, so it was a little easier, but I think that it will mostly be the same.

When you go to pick the car up, let your insurance company know so that they can add coverage to the car for your drive back to California. Make sure that you get a bill of sale along with the current title and registration as well.

When you get back to California, you will have to take it for a SMOG test (get a certificate). Then take the car and all of your documentation to the DMV or AAA (if you are a member) to get it inspected and registered.

Once all that is done, pay your fees and they'll issue your new registration.

That should be it.

DMV info is here --> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/os.htm

This is correct, I have purchased cars from Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, the process was identical in every case; you need the title, a signed bill of sale, and a smog certificate from the State of California once the car arrives.

You have 15 days from 'in state' arrival to register the car, go to the DMV with these docs, they will check the physical VIN plates on the car, and charge you sales tax.

I've "bypassed" my way out of paying CA state taxes for cars before. I believe that if your car is registered under your name at an address in Arizona for >90, you don't have to pay CA state taxes.

I was living in Upstate NY for 3 years, came back down to CA, simply just paid registration fees. No tax at all.

I am might get a car from Arisona that I want. How hard is it going to be to regester it in California. Its a Z06 that I really like and no I am not getting rid of my NSX's. Well I might sell one NSX maybe. Any way how does this work do I pay the tax in Arisona then regester it in California or do I pay the tax in California? I have no idea. Could somone who has done this please tell me step by step what will need to be done and is it worth getting a car that is out of state.

Thanks
Since my buddy just bought a car from AZ, here is the scoop.

If the car is purchase from a dealership:
You will require to pay AZ sales tax, which is about 8%. If you live outside of Orange County, the DMV supposed to refund the difference when you register your car. The dealership will charge you a $50 fee for a 90 days temporary registration and you will require to pay the full california fee when you get it.

If you're buying a used car, you need to take the car to DMV for VIN verification and that's should free.
Once that's done, you can walk into the DMV and pay for new tab and sales tax.

Smog rule does apply if the car is over six years old.

It's simple, don't sweat it.

Last edited:
Back