Car Dealers, What A Bunch Of

I don't see the problem here: Someobody has already offered to buy the car in this here thread. Sell it to them, they will even probably appreciate the non-OEM extras.

How much did you expect for any car with over 100K miles? Nobody wants to buy that, prevailling wisdom states that a car over 100K miles is quite undesirable and unwanted. Despite the realities that a 100K mile NSX is pretty darn nice.

While I know that 99.9% of the world does it: Buying any depreciating asset on time is generally unwise and, arguably, financial foolishness. And should only be done as an absolute last resort and [only] if that asset is expected generate income over the expected depreciation and debt service costs.

Luxury on time, leads to poverty.

I recommend you drive your NSX into the ground (unless you need another seat), it is a great daily driver and gets great mileage.

Drew

/Wrote out checks for every car I ever bought, saving me at least a couple of hundred thousand over the past 25 years. You don't pay interest and can drive harder bargains, especially on higher priced vehicles.
//This is how money can make you money. Money saved is worth about 2x of money that has to be earned.

The best advice I can give, sell it yourself. If you are not so inclined, then bargain for the best trade-in, knowing you are not going to do as well as selling it yourself in all likelihood.

I agree with Mike from Bridgewater, dealers take a lot of risk and do not always come out on the smiling end of the deal.

The ball is entirely in your court - if you want the convenience of unloading a car with no headache, trade it in. Just know it is not the best decision financially most of the times. If you want to or can afford to sell it on your own, go for it. I have never traded a car in and I have owned over 50. Despite that, cars are usually never a good investment.

sutphen77 said:
A couple of other dealers offered me between 16000-19000.
If Florida is like most states, trading in a car will save you sales tax on that portion of the purchase, since you are only paying tax on the cash difference between the purchased amount and your trade-in. If your state sales tax is 6 percent, trading in the car for a credit of $19K will save you $1140 in sales tax, so it's like selling the car to a private party for $20,140.

NSXTASY_MD said:
Thank you Spartan2-3, furthermore I own both an auto dealership and an NSX myself...$19,000 is VERY fair from a dealer on a trade-in* (I personally wouldn't of given more than $17K with those miles and that *color*...and that's assuming the car was in great shape...$19K only for "re-sale" RED) You typify the unknowledgable consumer who walks on a dealer lot stereotyping the industry & personel and seeing things only their way....you have to realize I (and ANY other dealer) can simply go to the high-line auto auctions and pick up 104K, black NSX's *all day long* for the high teens....so why would they go thru the trouble of paying MORE for a walk-ins' car (whom isn't even going to buy a car from them! -no revenue)....everyone's entitled to their "opinion's" but at least GET INFORMED before making them...

;)

Are you saying that a Red NSX would go for more money than a Black NSX? I think that's crazy. :rolleyes:

thanks for everyones help, I was just venting, I know there are good car dealers and bad ones out there. I was thinking 19000 was an honest amount to offer, I will be going with that dealer. BTW DREW, the car is a single owner in imaculant condition, owned by an older gentleman with all the service records. Obviously you dont have much trust in the motor of an NSX, they will go 200,000+ easily if taken care of properly. Also DREW please send me the information on all NSX's in the same shape as mine for $13,000, and I will buy everyone of them, I dont care if there is 300,000 miles on them. :smile:

sutphen77 said:
thanks for everyones help, I was just venting, I know there are good car dealers and bad ones out there. I was thinking 19000 was an honest amount to offer, I will be going with that dealer. BTW DREW, the car is a single owner in imaculant condition, owned by an older gentleman with all the service records. Obviously you dont have much trust in the motor of an NSX, they will go 200,000+ easily if taken care of properly. Also DREW please send me the information on all NSX's in the same shape as mine for $13,000, and I will buy everyone of them, I dont care if there is 300,000 miles on them. :smile:
So, Are you the original owner? :confused:

I would like to thank all you guys for all your help and information. I would also like to appologize for using the A word. Bye, thanks for everything, Jim

folks,

these are **basic** but **great** pearls of wisdom drew is reminding us of:

Buying any depreciating asset on time is generally unwise and, arguably, financial foolishness. And should only be done as an absolute last resort and [only] if that asset is expected generate income over the expected depreciation and debt service costs.

Money saved is worth about 2x of money that has to be earned.

Luxury on time, leads to poverty.

drew, thanks for the reminder!

be well.
hal

sutphen77 said:
spartan, I think I was making a very proper statement, 13,000 was insulting. How can one dealer offer me 19000 and another 18000 and this guy offer me 13000, and this was before I told them what kind of vehicle I was trading on.

Thanks for editing your original post, your profanity was also insulting, there are a few of us here that runs an Auto dealership.

I once......once was going to trade a car in. A 1990 300ZX it was 5 yrs old, with about 60k on it. It was somewhere around $38k new (can't remember exactly) I was expecting retail to be around the high teens, and tradein to be low teens. The guy took it for a drive, looked it over, and came back with $4,500! :eek: I laughed. I said to him....Do you know what this car sold for 5 years ago new? He said " I don't know $20k?" I said "try doubling that!" He said "no way!"

He obviously didn't know jack, and I was insulted, and never visited that dealer again. (see how one stupid salesman prevented business for the dealership for a decade+) I bought a new car from their competitor, and reccomended friends to do the same. I ended up selling the car in 1 week through the paper for I believe $17k.

Bottom line. Some dealers want to help you, and others want to screw you. Ask around before even entering a lot.

Back