Can't decide which bigass SUV to buy

The LX470 is very nice. I have a 2001 JDM premium (cynanis) version LX470 in Hong Kong. But now is not a good time to get a new one because there will be a less expensive little brother GX470 coming in a couple months later, which will have roughly the same or more equipments (standard DVD player w/3 monitors) then the LX470.

You might want to wait, unless you also want the night vision that is only available on the LX470.

[This message has been edited by nsx2000 (edited 05 October 2002).]

lx2003gx4704902.jpg

[This message has been edited by nsx2000 (edited 05 October 2002).]

I have a Land Cruiser as my land yacht of choice
smile.gif
Never had any troubles with it, off road is very good, long trips is great, 7 people is a bit tight, but doable (depending on how big the 7 people are
smile.gif
)

I just purchased the Excursion with the Powerstroke Diesel and it is a great vehicle for trips. We take 6 or 7 people up to the Michigan U.P. and get 18-19 mpg. It isn't the greatest if you need to get into tight spots though. This truck is also used in our business for deliveries and seems to be a workhorse.

My wife drives a LX470 and this is a much more luxorious truck but the mileage is much less and requires premium. I drive a MDX throughout the winter and as it is slightly smaller than the Lexus is a much better deal in my opinion.

I have an original Hummer for going offroading as none of these other vehicles are really capable when you get a couple wheels off the ground. Personally I think the new H2 is a joke, it is just a Tahoe with a different body. They didn't even go with independant suspension, it just gives hummers a bad name in my opionion.

Good Luck!

i currently own a range rover '98 and a 00 escalade. in the past have had disco I as well. spent considerable time in friends lx470. test driven navigators, mdx, excursion.

i think for best preowned value, definately a range rover. they plummet pretty good in value, so pick up one that is three years old and you'll be getting a lot of car for the money. escalade is plenty huge. ive carried serious lumber in the back of that thing, no problem. just leave the gate open if its too long. escalade is just a big ass truck. wouldnt do older navigator. would pick the newest navigator just out. that is a really nice vehicle. oh yeah, i also think the suburbans are a lot of value for the money. you could take your savings on a suburban and put tvs in your headrests.

range rover #1 driveability

suburban/escalade for big truck to beat up and haul crushed rock without it getting wet.

mdx #1 minivan

good luck.

Thanks for all the replys! I'm getting concensus that the Escalade is not a great SUV and that the Expedition and Navigator are pretty similiar except for luxury items. The Toyota's, Landcruiser and Sequoia seem to be the best according to reviews and posts.

However, in thinking about what this vehicle will do for me, I am leaning towards the Expedition, mainly because it is cheaper and that this SUV will be used for daily Chicago driving, parallel parking
redface.gif
, off-roading and vacations. I figure it will end up with dings, scratches and dents in 5 years, so it doesn't seem right to pay more for a luxury suv and then worry about parking it next to beater cars.

Kenric

Im glad im not the only one who sees through the H2 "disguise". It's really a Hummer in looks only.. It's really a comment on the sophistication of today's car buying public that such a vehicle should enjoy any popularity.

There was a 1996 real Hummer for sale around here recently. It got me thinking whether it would be useful as a tow vehicle for the NSX. Have you ever used yours as such, and what's the towing capacity?

Originally posted by Carguy!:
....I have an original Hummer for going offroading as none of these other vehicles are really capable when you get a couple wheels off the ground. Personally I think the new H2 is a joke, it is just a Tahoe with a different body. They didn't even go with independant suspension, it just gives hummers a bad name in my opionion.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by NSXTC (edited 13 October 2002).]

Originally posted by NSXTC:
Im glad im not the only one who sees through the H2 "disguise". It's really a Hummer in looks only.. It's really a comment on the sophistication of today's car buying public that such a vehicle should enjoy any popularity.

There was a 1996 real Hummer for sale around here recently. It got me thinking whether it would be useful as a tow vehicle for the NSX. Have you ever used yours as such, and what's the towing capacity?

My friend had a 1999 Hummer. It drove like a big old truck during his army duty. He didn't put more than 5000 miles on it and traded in for a new S500.

Originally posted by NSXTC:

My Hummer makes a great tow vehicle, it is rated to pull 10,000 pounds. I have pulled everything from cars, snowmobiles and skid steers. I have the 6.5 Turbo Diesel, if the truck has the N/A diesel or gas engine then I think the tow weight would be much less.

If you go offroading at all there isn't anything that comes close stock. The vehicle is a lot of fun and hasn't given me any problems at all.

Good Luck!

Back