Can't decide which bigass SUV to buy

I'm thinking of trading my Subaru Forester in for a larger SUV. The main reason I bought the Subaru was because of the gas mileage, but now I drive 1 mile to work.

I am looking for an SUV that can carry at least 5 passengers comfortably for long road (10+ hours) trips. It must also be able to do some light off-roading. Lastly, I'd like it to be somewhat luxurious.

So here are the contenders...
99-00 Escalade
99 Navigator
99-01 Expedition

Does anyone here have experiences with them?

BTW, I'm not planning on putting any 23" wheels on it or modifying it at all (except maybe some audio/video, grill guards, bike racks, etc...)

Have you considered the Land Cruiser or Lexux LX470. Both are awesome SUVs. We have the LX470 and an RX300 in the family and both SUVs have been great.

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

The Excursion is the largest SUV for the time being:

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/opinion/2001/6/do_suvs_kill_people/index.phtml

However, as a fellow driver (or if I were to be a potential passenger) I would prefer the new Volvo XC90:

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/auto_technology/2002/6/volvo_xc90/

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autoshow/0201/08/c07-384939.htm

And the Volvo SUV is intended to be kinder to smaller vehicles in the event of a crash. The imbalance between SUVs and cars has been a major concern in side-impact crashes, where traditional SUVs with higher bumpers, have been known to penetrate cars' passenger compartments.

The XC90 has a bar that extends below the bumper that is engineered to transfer the force of a crash to a car's structural frame, protecting the car's passengers from more serious injury.

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 02 October 2002).]

How about a Hummer H2?

H2KC3.jpg

If you don't want one, I'll take one in a heartbeat. =) I love the new Hummer. It's on my target list.

Originally posted by Joel:
The new Hummers are so Freakin' FUGLY.

Haha! That's exactly what my wife says...

I happen to like them a lot. It is on my to-buy list. Just gotta convince my wife to like it
wink.gif

A good friend of mine has the original Hummer (H1?) in a yellow convertible. I just love the road presence of those things.

I think the G500 is ugly. If I were to spend that much cash on an SUV, I'd go for the new Range Rover
smile.gif

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

I think the new H2 is sweet. I have seen one in every color around here.

I heard they are comforatable around town as well as extremely good off road vehicles.

The H2's are nice... but they do not have the significant road presence like the H1's. The H2's look like... well... a souped up Chevy Tahoe. It looks small... it doesn't scare me when I look up at it like the H1's do. It just doesn't look big and mean at all. Expeditions and Navigators have a bigger presence than the H2.

But that's just my opinion.

SUV? is there a question? Rangerover baby!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (Should be the new daily driver)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina" Still the daily driver)
1997 NSX "Nina"
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

I own both the navigator and the expedition. I have to tell you that the navigator, especially the new one, is a very solid vehicle. The expedition is just a cheaper version with a lot less amenities. I did not like the size of the Escalade because it had the smaller body but now that cadi is coming out with the longer version that is the next on my list. I drove toyota's sequoia and did not like it at all. Styling-it looks like a bubble, Power-it's ok but you have no real torque and have to rev higher which mean low gas milage. The interior just looked too cheap and the seats look like they stole it out of a corolla.

One thing looking at a suv is the type 0 gas.
Escalade, Navigator, G500 all need premium fuel which makes a difference at 30 gallons.

BTW the G500 is one nice, nice ride.

Please note that I do not know the difference between american car manufactures, they are all the same to me. You drive them for 100k and they are finished.

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited that is a great vehicle that hauls ass in more ways than one. You would not be disappointed in it and you can probably acquire a 2001 SR5 at close to your budget.

I looked at the Chevrolet, Ford and Lincoln comparables but they fell short on a number of counts;

1) Build quality
2) Interior space
3) Rear seat passenger space
4) Ride quality
5) Quietness
6) Engine technology (used same engine as LX470 and Landcrusier)
7) Front seats are much more comfotable
8) JBL audio upgrade is very good
9) Almost every option (on the Limited) but birth control
10)You don't see one every 5 minutes
11)Excellent overall gas mileage (after 14K miles I am averaging 15.5 and most of that is city driving)
12)Dealership service is rated better overall
13)Residuals and resale is better
14)Reputuation is better

Need I go on??

Just test drive it and compare and I am sure that you will reach the same conclusion. By the way, the Ford products are much more sensitive to windy road conditions, too. For 5 passenger comfort and 10+ hour trips go with the Sequoia!!

[This message has been edited by wildrice (edited 05 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by wildrice (edited 05 October 2002).]

Originally posted by Ag NSX:
I priced the LX470 and Landcruisers and they are about 10k more for similiar years....

I assume you are meaning difference in price between Landcruiser & LX470 is $10K?
At face value initially, but brand new, try loading a Lancruiser with most of the options available - still doesn't quite come up to LX470 std equipment and is MORE $$$
(I've owned both, incidentally, currently have LX - love it!)

Back