Can Honda do better? (C6 Z06)

From what I see the current pricing of the Honda/Acura vehicles, there's no reason for Honda to make a "bargain" performance car to give the Zo6 a run for less money...

We should see the nsx be at a different price/performance secment, or, if it goes head to head with the Z06, it will "again" emphazise the reliability and built quality therefore it will definately more expensive than the Z06.

No matter how you cut it, The Z06 is a supercar for bargain price. The cheapest car that compares to it(performance wise)is the CGT at $440k.

I will take my Electron blue Z06 in 2007 :wink: :biggrin:

Last edited:
NO, Honda will never be able to do it for that price

Here are some reasons...

- They won't put leaf springs to cut off the price.
- It's a Honda. We won't see 7.0L V8, nor will we see 8.3L V10. We'll see something like 3.5L V10 though.
- They won't put cheap plastic interior
- They will consider other stuff than just going fast. Low emission, reliability, safety, etc...
- They will use forged components. Not cheap GM and Ford cast components. (here is a little trivia: even Ford GT's has the cast suspension components, not to mention even the Infiniti G35 has the forged suspension components)
- Will be hand made.
- They won't use Z06's cheap poly-urethan body panels.

Timpo said:
NO, Honda will never be able to do it for that price

Here are some reasons...

- They won't put leaf springs to cut off the price.
- It's a Honda. We won't see 7.0L V8, nor will we see 8.3L V10. We'll see something like 3.5L V10 though.
- They won't put cheap plastic interior
- They will consider other stuff than just going fast. Low emission, reliability, safety, etc...
- They will use forged components. Not cheap GM and Ford cast components. (here is a little trivia: even Ford GT's has the cast suspension components, not to mention even the Infiniti G35 has the forged suspension components)
- Will be hand made.
- They won't use Z06's cheap poly-urethan body panels.

Get a clue or at least some better information.

The Z06 engine is ULEV and gets 16/26 MPG. My wife's 05 RL (with 290 HP) gets 18/26 MPG (and averages 17 according to the in-car computer).

The Z06 has carbon fiber fenders, wheel houses and floorboards.

The main frame is aluminum and the engine cradle is magnesium.

It has dual-stage front airbags and side impact airbags. As well as stability control.

It has 6-pot brakes in front and 4-pot in the rear.

It has a dry sump system (if the NSX had one, I wouldn't have blown my engine at NSXPO 03).

The suspension in the base C6 is forged aluminum, as well as the Z06.

Each Z06 engine is handbuilt and signed by the builder.

You may not like Corvettes - I personally perfer the NSX, that's why I have 2 in my garage. But I appreciate and admire the C6 and the C6 Z06 for their capabilities, technology and value.

Spreading false information about other cars won't make the NSX any better of a car.

Not to mention all the special stuff the Z06 motor has in it. It is a wild car. I do not think Honda can build a car to compete with it at a 70K price point. I would actually be shocked if the HSC or whatever competes with it for 100K.

NSXLuvr said:
The Z06 is a supercar for bargain price. The cheapest car that compares to it(performance wise)is the CGT at $440k.

That amazing!

The new Z06 is definitely the biggest bang for the buck by far.

liftshard said:
The RX8 compared to cars in that class, drives like magic. No sh!t, it really does. The car is an absolutely exceptional handler, world class. It's akin to comparing the NSX to Corvettes or other cars with lots of TQ but lacking precision. The reason the NSX can do what it does and the RX8 and even the s2000? The reason? HIGH specific output. They can put smaller, lighter engines into the same chassis in better positions. Each of the 3 I just mentioned is "mid" engined b/c of the relatively dimunitive size of the motor.

C'mon, man, it's why Ferraris drive better than Vipers.

Would you take an RX8 over a Viper?

SugrueNSX said:
Would you take an RX8 over a Viper?

I wouldn't drive an RX8 because it has NO TQ at all. I was seriously dissapointed with that car. It looks great, had a nice interior, but that motor blows!

TC said:
Get a clue or at least some better information.

The Z06 engine is ULEV and gets 16/26 MPG. My wife's 05 RL (with 290 HP) gets 18/26 MPG (and averages 17 according to the in-car computer).

The Z06 has carbon fiber fenders, wheel houses and floorboards.

The main frame is aluminum and the engine cradle is magnesium.

It has dual-stage front airbags and side impact airbags. As well as stability control.

It has 6-pot brakes in front and 4-pot in the rear.

It has a dry sump system (if the NSX had one, I wouldn't have blown my engine at NSXPO 03).

The suspension in the base C6 is forged aluminum, as well as the Z06.

Each Z06 engine is handbuilt and signed by the builder.

You may not like Corvettes - I personally perfer the NSX, that's why I have 2 in my garage. But I appreciate and admire the C6 and the C6 Z06 for their capabilities, technology and value.

Spreading false information about other cars won't make the NSX any better of a car.

Ditto,
The Z06 is an amazing sports car, but I still perfer, and am more than happy with my NSX's :biggrin:

liftshard said:
Did I SAY I would!?!?!?

I compared Vipers to Ferraris. Ferraris are better-balanced cars. They have similar power, but way less torque.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “better-balanced”. Are you referring to weight distribution or polar moment of inertia or low c of g or something else?
I agree with you that you can produce lot’s of torque at the wheels with gearing but as I’m sure you understand there are advantages to having a flatter torque curve. Especially for a road car with a lazy driver like me.

Regards,

Patrick

SugrueNSX said:
I agree with you that you can produce lot’s of torque at the wheels with gearing but as I’m sure you understand there are advantages to having a flatter torque curve. ................................................................
Regards,

Patrick

do you mean fatter? The high strung engines you are degrading tend to have very "flat" torque curves, just like the NSX. It gives the deception of "not a lot" of torque, but makes the car much more tractable, IMHO.

Come on fellow NSXers. There is little doubt that given the option and finances most of us will purchase an NSX before we get this C6 ZO6 right??

But you have to give it up to this car for what it has achieved. Whether you believe this car to be a POS that just got the right combination of modern and innovative technology and/or cheap parts, the car has performed beyond what I would have believed!!

Bottom line.....that car is Bad Ass. Give me an NSX, then give me a C6 ZO6 right after. I would take both at the price (used/new NSX and a used/new C6 ZO6) over a Ferrari any day.

It's a bad-ass car, I agree. Honda will not bother to compete with it. Hell, who does compete with it at that price? NO ONE. And Honda will not do it either. They know very well that even IF it had similar performance and a similar price it still wouldn't sell anywhere close to Z06 numbers in North America for the simple fact it's a Japanese performance car, and that's a corvette Z06. So why not put in the R&D and charge the premium that will be paid by the people that will actually buy the car. I'd say the price elasticty demand for a Honda Supercar is highly inelastic..the people that want it, still want it as you raise the price, and even if it's low you aren't going to get a ton of more buyers.

ncdogdoc said:
do you mean fatter? The high strung engines you are degrading tend to have very "flat" torque curves, just like the NSX. It gives the deception of "not a lot" of torque, but makes the car much more tractable, IMHO.

My bad, I meant flat hp curve but that can be ambiguous also.
Here is a graph I found. I think it works quite well for the sake of comparisons with the power and torque graph in the FAQ. As you can see the engine produces less power at 275 hp but the engine has more torque which is typical for this type of bigger, low output engine.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/images/46_tc.jpg

Regards,

Patrick

Ps I don’t think I am a zealot and I’m not “degrading” anything I am merely discussing pros and cons and my personal preferences.

SugrueNSX said:
I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “better-balanced”. Are you referring to weight distribution or polar moment of inertia or low c of g or something else?
I agree with you that you can produce lot’s of torque at the wheels with gearing but as I’m sure you understand there are advantages to having a flatter torque curve. Especially for a road car with a lazy driver like me.
Patrick

How is a Ferrari a better balanced car? Well, the F360? It has a smaller, lighter, mid engine arrangement. The Viper is a huge, heavy front engine. The rotation points are totally different.

For the RX8, same thing as compared to a car like the 350Z. S2000 as well. Smaller, lighter, lower-displacement = better inherent balance, b/c the engine's the biggest, heaviest thing in the car.

liftshard said:
How is a Ferrari a better balanced car? Well, the F360? It has a smaller, lighter, mid engine arrangement. The Viper is a huge, heavy front engine. The rotation points are totally different.

For the RX8, same thing as compared to a car like the 350Z. S2000 as well. Smaller, lighter, lower-displacement = better inherent balance, b/c the engine's the biggest, heaviest thing in the car.

The 360 weighs in a 3065 and the Viper GTS is 3410 which is only a difference of 345 lbs. Now I’m not saying that that’s insignificant but you have to understand, my wife weighs more than that! So if I tell her to get out of the car and I only put in half a tank of gas then I’m ahead of the game. The Viper does have the engine in the front but it has a near 50/50 weight distribution. It may have a higher polar moment of inertia but for an inexperienced driver like me that may be a blessing in disguise.

Regards,

Patrick

Ps Doesn’t Ferrari make front engine cars too?

MoreRPMs said:
Sugrue,

Your wife weighs more than 345 lbs?! :eek: How does she fit in ANY sportscar?

It’s not a pretty sight but she is happier now since I sold the Caterham.

Back