Can anyone recommend a UK based ICE installer

Hello everyone,

The passenger side speaker has given up the ghost (i get a ticking noise after 10mins of use, all other speakers seem fine. Although the sound isn't great - i'd describe it as being rather dull).

From the other threads on this board it sounds like a typical problem with the factory installed Bose stereo system.

I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a UK based company i could entrust to install a new sound system in my NSX. I'm not looking for anything too flash, just someone who is competent and knows their way around the NSX (i don't want to risk taking it to any tom, dick or harry and have them screw up!!).

I live in London, so ideally i'd like to take my car to somewhere in or around the area. I'd appreaciate any help or recommendations.

Thanks,

AMAR
1991 Silver NSX 48k miles

Hi,

Although not London, there this guy http://www.sound-offs.co.uk/about_us.htm. The owner has the NSX.

If you haven't already why not join the UK NSX group? At the moment we are using Yahoogroups. Joing the NSXCB group. There are people there that know about stereos and stuff, I just stick to the racing side!

If you're going to throw out your stereo, could I take a look at it? I know what parts to replace, and I am in the process of fixing mine at the moment.

Hi j14_NSX

Thanks for the info about SoundsOff. I spoke to Clive this morning (the owner) and have arranged to go down and visit the shop next weekend to discuss my options for either repairing or upgrading my NSX sound system. I'll let you know later if i can sell you my stereo unit to you depending on whether its worthwhile me repairing and keeping it or not.

Also can you give me the specific address for the Yahoo UK NSX club. I tried doing a search on NSXCB (and NSXGB) but found no matches.

Thanks again,

AMAR

Feedback

Hi Guys,

As promised here is some feedback from my dealings with Sound-Offs and my attempts to fix the speakers in my NSX.

I visited Sounds-Offs a couple of weeks ago and met up with the owner, Clive. He was able to listen to my stereo and immediately detected the clipping sound coming from the passenger side speaker.

He told me that it sounded as though it was the amp for the speaker rather than the speaker itself that had developed a fault. Howvere, as we all know NSX speakers and amps come in a singe unit and It is this unit that needs to be replaced. Luckily, he said he knew of 2 NSX's that were being broken for parts and he would attemp to get the speaker unit for me. Also as part of the service Clive said he would install tweeters into the doors to improve the high-end sound. He showed me how he had done it on his NSX and it looked very professional.

Anyway, i'm currently waiting for Clive to get back to me about the speaker. Also i checked with Honda Chiswick about the price of a new speaker unit, i was quoted £436!!).

I'll keep you all posted about how things develop.

AMAR

If you search around on this forum you will find many options for repair of the amp - it is NOT necessary to purchase a complete speaker assembly and cost for repair is ~ $90 for each amp.
I believe I also saw a post from someone in Europe who had their's repaired at a a European based Bose Service centre.
I would advise against buying a used speaker assembly from a breakers - it will be expensive to begin with & likely to suffer the same fate as your current one before long.
It might be worth replacing all three amps as they will all likely be failing in the forseeable future.

I'm at a loss as to how you can add tweeters to the stock Bose system - can you supply details? Presumably uses an external amp .....

Thanks for those tips Ecosse. I've sent a message to Bose via their web-site requesting explaining the problem with my speaker and asked for details of an authorised repair dealer based in London.

Hopefully, there is someone in London who can fix the problem for a resonable price.

As for more details about adding tweeters, i'm sorry but i don't have any at the moment. I was told by Sounds-Offs that it could be done. When i'm there next i'll get some more details.

Also, you guys in the US seem to be very lucky, as there seems to be no end of companies able to fix/replace the NSX sound system and not only that they don't seem to charge too much either!!

got my speaker working!!

Hi Everyone,

As promised i'm writing to let you know how i finally got my speakers repaired.

The first issue was that i couldn't find anyone in the UK who knew how to fix the Bose speaker in the NSX (the problem with mine was that a ticking noise 'appeared' after 20mins of use on the driver side). As you all know Honda dealerships insist on replacing the speaker unit (in the UK 1 x speaker unit = £500(GBP)!!)

I sent an email to Bose based in Germany (the head office for Europe) and got in touch with Frank Muller who works in the car entertainment division. Frank suggested that if i sent the speakers to him he would carry out the repair. The total cost of which would be EURO145 (£100 GBP approx) for both speakers. The repair was actually to replace the amps with new ones from the USA (interesting point: the new amps had 'Made in Mexico' written on them)

I decided to go down this route rather than attempt to fix the amps myself, because i didn't feel i had the expertise to do it (even though the instructions found on nsx prime were very detailed).

Anyway, i found a shop based in Surrey (south of London) called Sound Offs. The owner, Clive, has an NSX himself and has upgraded his system (basically ripped everything out and installed something completely different - see www.sound-offs.co.uk).

I managed to get a deal done with Clive whereby he would:

1. Remove the speakers from my NSX so i could send them to Bose for repair
2. Re-install the speakers
3. Fit tweeters (KEF 425) to each door (powered by the amp in each speaker)
4. install a bracket for my CD changer in the boot

The total cost of the repair and upgrade to my Bose system was approx £500 (GBP). All in all its taken about 3 weeks for everthing to come together. My speakers have been to Germany and back and new amps were ordered from the USA i then had to travel down to surrey (100 mile round trip) twice to get the uninstall/reinstallation carried out!!

Its all been worth it though, i've got great sound coming out of the Bose system now. I just hope the amps don't fail on me (i know there prone to do so, as discussed on other threads).

So there you go. I am certainly one very happy NSX owner!!

AMAR
1991 Silver/Black 50K miles

Back