Calling all pilots!!!

Just my 2 cents from an Electrical and Computer Engineering background. If you knew how computers (and the software that runs on them) are designed & manufactured, how bugs are found, how ASICs are qualified, etc., you wouldn't trust a computer to fly a plane without a pilot in 2005. Granted, the computers on planes have multiple redundant systems, but I would still want a pilot to monitor everything. Most ASICs these days have 99.x% fault coverage, but it's that .x% where you still need the pilot.

My pilot friends tell me that in most modern airliners, the computer *can* fly the plane, including takeoff and landing (to the point that he sometimes jokes that pilots are just there to push buttons), but the pilot is still needed to monitor the flight deck, and react at a moments notice to situations that the computer can't even begin to forsee. In most cases, even though the computer is fully capable for the conditions at hand, the pilots are usually the ones that takeoff and land the planes.

Regarding the Airbuses that don't have the control yokes, and rely on the sticks on the console, my friend who flies the A340 told me that the design is somewhat flawed in that it can allow "dual input" from both pilots (leading to possible disastrous results), so on the flight deck, it has to be clearly stated "I have control" before the sticks are touched. Just an example how the fly-by-wire system may not be 100% mature yet.

Its called judgement dude. Computers don't have it and never will. I've flown many thousands of hours more than you ever will. I'm much more of an expert than you ever will be and I'm telling you I would never, ever fly on airplane without human pilots at the controls. You ever hear of the difference between a pig and a chicken in a ham and egg breakfast? :rolleyes:

Nate

I have deleted my posts on this thread.

Liftshard: The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Skyguy

Last edited:
Ok I got a noob question...I've been dying to get my pilot's license for a while, but time has never been in my favor. It's def. on my list of things to do. And yes, you should walk before you run...BUT...I've always wanted to know if there's any place that you can learn to fly actual jets (like a fighter jet), short of joining the Service? I know there are things like de-militarized versions of jets that people purchase ($$$$$$$$) or even retired Navy/Airforce aircrafts... Is there any point along the learning process that you can learn to fly one of those amazing machines??

Oh and liftshard, I see you're local. You fly often for leisure? Where, if I may ask? Can you recommend a good school to get started at?

Thanks
~Ramy

There are some places where you can get rated in some of the fighter type jets. You'd need to move up through your ratings and could go to the normal schools to build some jet time before you'd want to try to find someone to let you build time in a T-38 or something like that. Better have more money than you can count though. :tongue:

https://www.stallion51.com/flight_ops/flightops-orientation.cfm?axis_v=2

THere's a place where you can get rated in a P-51. Some places exist for jets.

sanitized for your protection...viper v. lifts

FDNewbie said:
Ok I got a noob question...I've been dying to get my pilot's license for a while, but time has never been in my favor. It's def. on my list of things to do. And yes, you should walk before you run...BUT...I've always wanted to know if there's any place that you can learn to fly actual jets (like a fighter jet), short of joining the Service? I know there are things like de-militarized versions of jets that people purchase ($$$$$$$$) or even retired Navy/Airforce aircrafts... Is there any point along the learning process that you can learn to fly one of those amazing machines??

Oh and liftshard, I see you're local. You fly often for leisure? Where, if I may ask? Can you recommend a good school to get started at?

Thanks
~Ramy
sorry for the late response, things were red-hot here, prime environmental engineers at work...

a question like yours may trigger a visit from homeland security... :wink:

been there, done that....remember 9.11??

unfortunately in your case, there is a learning curve built into the process.
you can spend a couple grand for an hour to rent a jet aircraft,ramy.
start with your PPL, then take off from there....indeed walk before you run.

hth, & enjoy the air!!! :smile:

Yea...well I think me anywhere near an airstrip will trigger red flags w/ the Dept of Homeland Security. But it's a dream of mine nonetheless. I just wanna know if it's indeed possible... I'm sure there's a 1001 classes and lots and lots of $$ that has to go into it to get that far...but again, wanted to know if it's possible, or I'd have to join the armed forces or become the next Tom Cruise? :p:

~Ramy

liftshard said:
No. The computer can take off and land. We have tons of UAVs now that do exactly that. Airliners do too. Pilots are needed to drive around airports, but a transponder system w/ GPS could do that more safely, too...no runway incursions and whatnot.

Human pilots are obsolete technology.

As a pilot myself, I don't want you flying my airliner...

Pilot's are never obsolete. Systems fail, stuff breaks, and any pilot worth his ass will put it down on the ground himself (if it's legal, that is. I know you ATPL pukes have more rules than us PPL-MEL-IFR guys).

Just my two cents...

Back