Caliper shaving question

I recently purchased a set of Work CR wheels. The vendor recommends shaving the rear calipers 2 mm for installing the 18 inch rear wheels. Is shaving the calipers absolutely needed ? or can I use of 5 mm spacers as an alternative ? Thanks for your help.

Spacer please,and get a good one like H&R not a generic honda one from pep boys.

I recently purchased a set of Work CR wheels. The vendor recommends shaving the rear calipers 2 mm for installing the 18 inch rear wheels. Is shaving the calipers absolutely needed ? or can I use of 5 mm spacers as an alternative ? Thanks for your help.

Spacers hands down... pending knowing what the offset and size of your new wheels are?

if its exactly 2mm you need have a custom 2mm spacer made. I had to get a 4.25mm spacer made to clear my BBK.

Work Emotion CR Kai Wheel 18x9.5 +38

Far better - and easier - to simply buy the smallest spacers required.

I'm running Work Emotion CR Kais (gunmetal) over Brembos on my '98. The rims fit, but with only the very slighest amount of clearance from the calipers.

So just to be safe, I added 2.5mm spacers.

Far better - and easier - to simply buy the smallest spacers required.

I'm running Work Emotion CR Kais (gunmetal) over Brembos on my '98. The rims fit, but with only the very slighest amount of clearance from the calipers.

So just to be safe, I added 2.5mm spacers.

For all of you guys running small spacers...how do you perfectly center the wheel without hub-centric rings to avoid vibration? The small spacer makes it nearly impossible.

For all of you guys running small spacers...how do you perfectly center the wheel without hub-centric rings to avoid vibration? The small spacer makes it nearly impossible.

You get some quality spacers like H&R...

HRDRSpacers.jpg

As far as I know, 5mm is the smallest spacer? H&R sells 5mm spacers that are hubcentric, that's why I suggested that route. :)

And since H&R sells a 5mm spacer that is hubcentric with a hubring to support the wheel, I suggested that. If I needed 2-3mm worth of room, I'd just go with the 5mm for the hubring. Another 2mm is not going to be visually noticable.

Last edited:
As far as I know, 5mm is the smallest spacer? H&R sells 5mm spacers that are hubcentric, that's why I suggested that route. :)

And since H&R sells a 5mm spacer that is hubcentric with a hubring to support the wheel, I suggested that. If I needed 2-3mm worth of room, I'd just go with the 5mm for the hubring. Another 2mm is not going to be visually noticable.

I did not know they made a 5mm with hub.

Yes, if the 5mm has the hub extension - I don't think so though. Find a picture of the 5mm and you'll see what I mean.
I believe you are correct. I've yet to see an H&R 5mm with hub ring. I could be wrong but have yet to see one.:confused:

I have a H&R 5mm and no hub ring,you have to center it with your fingers as you put the wheel on,but it is still a better piece then the generic honda ones.

I have a H&R 5mm and no hub ring,you have to center it with your fingers as you put the wheel on,but it is still a better piece then the generic honda ones.

The pics threw me off. I stand corrected.

You learn something new everyday...

Back