• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Caliper removal?

I am trying to replace a broken wheel stud in the rear and am having all sorts of issues. First the rotor screw took over an hour to take out with an impact wrench and then I took the caliper cover off and broke both bolts and now I have to extract the bolts. Next is the caliper bolt but I can't get to move. Is suppose to these two bolts? Do you remove the spring since its in the way?image.jpgimage.jpg

The bolt in the pic is the caliper bracket bolt, not the caliper bolt. Get the service manual and have a look at Page 19-16 thru 19-20. This shows the complete brake exploded view.

Regards,
LarryB

I'm no expert by any means of the word but, I always recommend to anyone trying to loosen bolts on older vehicles, soak she shit out of the bolts you are going to remove in PBblast or and equivalent for at least one hour, or longer re-spraying every 20 mins or so. It can be found at any parts store for 5 - 6 bucks. Will save a lot of stripped nuts or bolt heads or broken tools.

I did this to all the tranny bolts when the trans was out and was able to break them all loose without much force or having to use a breaker bar. And always apply a little bit of anti seize to all bolts being re-installed (except never use grease or lube on a crank bolt) and you're golden!

Back